• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Steven holies for last few years has been championing retraction.

has never mentioned rebels by name but I have heard him make the case for cutting a team or 2

Hoiles has also been pushing the Kurtley Beale to return to the Wallabies narrative as well. Quite frankly I DGAF with Hoiles has to say as he doesn't have any skin in the game other than at a Shute Shield level.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hoiles has also been pushing the Kurtley Beale to return to the Wallabies narrative as well. Quite frankly I DGAF with Hoiles has to say as he doesn't have any skin in the game other than at a Shute Shield level.
Yes I agree - his comments always seem very self serving with his master being NSW Waratahs rugby (whom has the most to gain by rebels folding)

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
Please correct me if I am wrong.

From my understanding RA are not a creditor as they are not owed money from the Rebels, therefore they have no vote in regards to accepting the DOCA.

The vote will depend on ATO as they carry the majority share and without them no other party will have enough votes to swing the decision.

It was concerning to see in the administrators documents that a Payment Plan was already in place yet the debt was growing. Also they had also not paid GST as well as PAYG.

Screenshot 2024-05-02 092824.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

From my understanding RA are not a creditor as they are not owed money from the Rebels, therefore they have no vote in regards to accepting the DOCA.

The vote will depend on ATO as they carry the majority share and without them no other party will have enough votes to swing the decision.

It was concerning to see in the administrators documents that a Payment Plan was already in place yet the debt was growing. Also they had also not paid GST as well as PAYG.

View attachment 18730

Rugby Australia has to agree to hand back the Super Rugby licence otherwise the DOCA is dead in the water.

ATO payment plans are contingent on meeting all future obligations as and when they fall due. The fact that the liability was increasing means they kept defaulting and had to create new payment plans (probably every quarter when the BAS was due if not every month when they failed to pay their PAYG withholding).

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)

RA have said they are a creditor, and are listed as having attended meetings of creditors by the Administrator.

I don't think we know how much or what for.

Would covering the Rebel's coaches and player's salaries this year make them creditors?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
If they did, it would be a significant amount, so surely they'd be listed in the top 10 creditors.

As the took control after VA declared, they are new debts not incorrect before VA period. So they would not be listed? Not 100% sure how it works - I'll leave that to the accountants to decipher.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Would RA still not have to agree with any forward plans as they would be paying the players' wages? Unless a new identity take on complete payment of wages. Rightly or wrongly it didn't sound good for Rebels when Dan Herbert was speaking on Breakdown other night when he said basically RA has been living outside it's means for a few years, and kind of hinted that was partly since Rebels came into being. Didn't catch it all precisely, just something about Aus expanded before being ready.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
RA what a shit show. This will be my last season supporting the game is Aus. Phill Waugh’s legacy will be the man who killed Rugby in Aus

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
RA what a shit show. This will be my last season supporting the game is Aus. Phill Waugh’s legacy will be the man who killed Rugby in Aus
I know I have a stash of water bombs in the garage,so tempting to go get them for tomorrow night. I know his seat will be in range from mine.

It's a joke before anyone gets offended

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I know I have a stash of water bombs in the garage,so tempting to go get them for tomorrow night. I know his seat will be in range from mine.

It's a joke before anyone gets offended
Do it at the last home game, what are they going to do? Give you a life ban from Rebels home games?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If they did, it would be a significant amount, so surely they'd be listed in the top 10 creditors.

As the took control after VA declared, they are new debts not incorrect before VA period. So they would not be listed? Not 100% sure how it works - I'll leave that to the accountants to decipher.
Had a proper read this evening. RA provided $450,000 to the administrator to keep the lights on through the early part of 2024, and to make sure the administrators could pay players etc before RA fully took over employment of the staff and players.

They are creditors as a result of this payment. (Note 17, page 51).

Interestingly, they don't get this repaid if the DoCA is signed, only under liquidation

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Well, that highlights a clear motivation for them not to accept the DOCA. Don't worry about the potential fines, court action, and reduced broadcast revenue - we got our $450K back.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, that highlights a clear motivation for them not to accept the DOCA. Don't worry about the potential fines, court action, and reduced broadcast revenue - we got our $450K back.
Saying they only get it back under liquidation doesn't mean they get it back under liquidation. They won't ever see more than a few cents on the dollar of that money and they would know that now just as well as when they paid it. It's a ridiculous suggestion that that would be the reason they would vote against the DOCA.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Look I get loyalty to the team. The players and coaches are doing their all and deserve your support.

But why suck loyalty to the Board / administrators who have been so diabolical? That's where the real ire should be directed
The only reason the board/administrators are getting support, at least they are coming out in support of having a team in Melbourne. Don't care if it's in Ballarat as long as I have a team to support. RA who's not willing to come out and say if we will had no issue flogging overpriced Lions tickets to a game that might not even happen, how's that fair on The rugby public?