• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wallaby Ways

Chris McKivat (8)
jog on champ, you have zero knowledge of the topic or the grounds in Melbourne. Stick to making no sense comments in other threads
Says the bloke who forgot about Moorabbin!
Anyway, let’s move on.
I’m thinking Melbourne will have a terrific year and Carter will have his best year yet.
Thor will be a huge in!

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Jeez what a cesspit the last couple of pages from both sides of the argument. No wonder Aus rugby is in the shit, half the fans openly riding the death of an entity the other half blindly following to a fault.

Chances are the role above is advertised to accompany and assist someone else who is paid and might have been dragged into helping another role with the obvious administrative and financial issues. I’d be highly surprised if a pro team let some without experience control this facet of the game. Let’s wait and see.

Wallaby Ways

Chris McKivat (8)
Jeez what a cesspit the last couple of pages from both sides of the argument. No wonder Aus rugby is in the shit, half the fans openly riding the death of an entity the other half blindly following to a fault.

Chances are the role above is advertised to accompany and assist someone else who is paid and might have been dragged into helping another role with the obvious administrative and financial issues. I’d be highly surprised if a pro team let some without experience control this facet of the game. Let’s wait and see.
Well said Wallaby!

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I may just be old and crusty (and gullible), but when I started in TV as an entry-level tape op, I really wanted to learn editing. So I stayed back after shifts or got in early to learn from others and to practice - for no extra money. I know that is not exactly the same as not being paid at all but sometimes taking that initiative shows others how interested you are and puts you at the top of the heap when a position comes up (and it did).
15 week regular season, 2 days per week at 8hr days = 240hrs
Add match days, you're looking at minimum another 3hrs each week (excluding any travel, which I assume there will be, given they specified all games).

So 265 hours all up across the regular season - over 33 8hr days - and, as said, that's probably generous given the actual role description. A bit different to a couple of hours here and there before and after shifts.

It's undoubtedly a fantastic opportunity for a grad or someone studying in a relevant field - but they really should be paying a small wage or aligned with La Trobe and got a placement student.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)

Complete agree Wallaby

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Add match days, you're looking at minimum another 3hrs each week (excluding any travel, which I assume there will be, given they specified all games).

So 265 hours all up across the regular season - over 33 8hr days - and, as said, that's probably generous given the actual role description. A bit different to a couple of hours here and there before and after shifts.

It's undoubtedly a fantastic opportunity for a grad or someone studying in a relevant field - but they really should be paying a small wage or aligned with La Trobe and got a placement student.

covers it .

Reactions: Ras

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I think we're all surprised, which is why this has blown up. The ad really doesn't read like you're providing a support function to exisiting analysts.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

John Batina is the full time head analyst (has been for several years). Assuming this is an assistant role.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Hey John @GoMelbRebels any big recruits down at Quins? heard anything about any of the dewar shield clubs

***yes this is a desperate please to change the subject
Hey, nice change of direction! Unfortunately I don’t have any info yet. I just checked my emails and noticed we didn’t hear much from Dec until Mar last year. They usually pick up a few good OS players (not just NZ / Pacific), so keen to see who we get this season. I just hope the other teams can give the Quins a serious run. Could it be Endeavour Hills’ year?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
John Batina is the full time head analyst (has been for several years). Assuming this is an assistant role.
Well there you go. The job description is probably just saying this is what you might be doing. I know I don’t perform a lot of what my description says but can be asked to do it if required.

Time to move on.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well there you go. The job description is probably just saying this is what you might be doing. I know I don’t perform a lot of what my description says but can be asked to do it if required.

Time to move on.
I don’t perform a lot of things on my job description either.

it really pisses my boss off.

Reactions: TSR

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Which is surprising given their relationship with La Trobe, would have thought that was something they’d established.

Reds do similar with a number of QUT undergrad students across business and exercise science, with internships at the Reds providing credit towards their degrees

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Quote: He (club boss Baden Stephenson) pointed to a cut in funding from Rugby Australia due to COVID-19 and the return of Western Force, which reduced the money given to each club from $5.5 million a year to $3.9 million.

Pretty stupid to speak publicly around 5 teams being a problem compared to 4. Like, REALLY stupid.

In the mean time "RA" quoted as saying "long-term decisions were dependent on whether the team was contributing to a “sustainable future for the game”." How do we insist on exactly the same from RA?

I don't much have concerns around the Rebels as a brand as such, but presumably the inference is ditto regarding any professional team in Melbourne - and that imo would be completely neglectful of the claimed sustainable future for the game. I'd state the same about on-going kicking the can down the road with Super for what it is worth.

Rebels finances are doing nothing for us right now.