• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Might as well kick it off, given there's no Pro Rugby this weekend.

Lots to consider. Home games, when and where.

Lets kick it off with players. First round robin in the Dewar Shield is done. What'll we be looking at.

I don't know what the cap for Super players and Wallaby players is, so I'm not going to finish that.

6 Players, who are not contracted to the Rebels, have played with the Australian U20s. Ikapotae Tupai (Openside), Jordan Uelese (Hooker) and Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano (wing) have been selected in the final squad for the JRWC and a further 3, Billy Gray (fly half), Ta Hosea (Number 8), and Angus Fowler (Scrum Half) spent major time training with them, in the shadow squad, playing multiple games as well. Potentially Rob Leota, Sione Tuipulotu and Tom Moloney (being on both supplementary and development contracts rather than full or EPS) they won't count towards the limit as well.

As for the rest of the Dewar Shield Boys, would we be thinking incumbents, or would we be thinking a few new boys. Felipe Vilitati (Box Hill), Murray Douglas, Maradona Faroa, Lloyd Johansen, Sione Taufa (Harlequins), Fereti Sa'aga (Uni), Sakarai Noa (Moorabbin), Mike Tyler (Power House) and Junior Paila (Endeavour Hills) are the incumbents from last year who're still playing IIRC. A couple more of the blokes from the year before are still around IIRC too. Angus Hamilton (Quins), RLM (Moorabbin) and Martin Naufahu (Footscray).

Any hints and or form as to who's worth considering locally? Will Jack McGregor be fit enough to join the squad? Does former Rebel and current USA international James King get a run? etc. etc.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Might as well kick it off, given there's no Pro Rugby this weekend.

Lots to consider. Home games, when and where.

Lets kick it off with players. First round robin in the Dewar Shield is done. What'll we be looking at.

I don't know what the cap for Super players and Wallaby players is, so I'm not going to finish that.

6 Players, who are not contracted to the Rebels, have played with the Australian U20s. Ikapotae Tupai (Openside), Jordan Uelese (Hooker) and Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano (wing) have been selected in the final squad for the JRWC and a further 3, Billy Gray (fly half), Ta Hosea (Number 8), and Angus Fowler (Scrum Half) spent major time training with them, in the shadow squad, playing multiple games as well. Potentially Rob Leota, Sione Tuipulotu and Tom Moloney (being on both supplementary and development contracts rather than full or EPS) they won't count towards the limit as well.

As for the rest of the Dewar Shield Boys, would we be thinking incumbents, or would we be thinking a few new boys. Felipe Vilitati (Box Hill), Murray Douglas, Maradona Faroa, Lloyd Johansen, Sione Taufa (Harlequins), Fereti Sa'aga (Uni), Sakarai Noa (Moorabbin), Mike Tyler (Power House) and Junior Paila (Endeavour Hills) are the incumbents from last year who're still playing IIRC. A couple more of the blokes from the year before are still around IIRC too. Angus Hamilton (Quins), RLM (Moorabbin) and Martin Naufahu (Footscray).

Any hints and or form as to who's worth considering locally? Will Jack McGregor be fit enough to join the squad? Does former Rebel and current USA international James King get a run? etc. etc.

That's a tidy looking list of young fellas in the U20s ranks. The NRC would be a great testing ground for a number of them. It would appear that the Vic system is really beginning to churn out the players.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i agree that the tyros from the 20's should all be playing NRC. More combos to develop as well, cant see either Stirzaker or Debrezcini being in TRC or EOYT so they can start work on their combination again.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Mcgregor was signed with Gordon this year and was no real chance to play any rugby for us after injuring himself in the NSW U20's program can't imagine he would be playing NRC. Hopefully for his sake he might be able to get time though.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Looks and sounds great, but reality is 5 or 6 of these 20's might get a guernsey. The main of the squad will be Rebels or 2nd tier players of the Rebels who basically need the quality game time.
It should be the cream of the crop from the Dewer Shield, but that ain't gonna happen.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nah. Positive attitude people. For once the youngsters are good enough to stand on their own!

Hookers
Pat (Soup)
Siliva (Soup)
Uelese

Props
Toby (Wobblies)
Metch (Soup)
Cruze (Soup)
Moloney
Fereti
Tyler

Locks
Cummins (Soup)
Jeffries (Soup)
Timani (Soup)
Retallick (Soup)

Backrow
Sean (Wobblies)
Colby (Soup)
Jordy (Soup)
Rob
Ta
Tupai
Noa

Scrummies
Nic (Soup)
Bip (Soup)
Gus

Fly halves
Jack
Billy

Centers
Sefa (Wobblies)
Mitch (Soup)
Sione
Lloyd

Back 3
Engo (Soup)
Placid (Soup)
Ah-mu
Felipe
AN Other

Contracted player Limits notwithstanding, that's a decent mix, and depending on injuries and Wobblies duty, something very possible as a final squad.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Not sure of thier names but the Quins 13 and 11 both have something like 11 or 12 tries from their 8 games this year. They are making metres on both kick return and going looking for work.

Doubt RLM will make it, he isn't player 1st grade last time I saw.

Gus Hamilton is within a shout of a gig.

Number 8 from Box Hill might be worth a shot, the big Fijian guy. However with Colby and Jordy around I doubt he will get much game time.

T

Train Without a Station

Squad is pretty thick on locks with Rebels and past Rising players but I actually wouldn't be surprised to see young Will Clift from Uni get a look in.

Rebels U20s forward of the season this year. Has only played 2 games of Dewar Shield due to injury but looked good and I think he'll only get better. If he can hold his own against men I think they'll give him a crack on his U20's form.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Nah. Positive attitude people. For once the youngsters are good enough to stand on their own!

Hookers
Pat (Soup)
Siliva (Soup)
Uelese

Props
Toby (Wobblies)
Metch (Soup)
Cruze (Soup)
Moloney
Fereti
Tyler

Locks
Cummins (Soup)
Jeffries (Soup)
Timani (Soup)
Retallick (Soup)

Backrow
Sean (Wobblies)
Colby (Soup)
Jordy (Soup)
Rob
Ta
Tupai
Noa

Scrummies
Nic (Soup)
Bip (Soup)
Gus

Fly halves
Jack
Billy

Centers
Sefa (Wobblies)
Mitch (Soup)
Sione
Lloyd

Back 3
Engo (Soup)
Placid (Soup)
Ah-mu
Felipe
AN Other

Contracted player Limits notwithstanding, that's a decent mix, and depending on injuries and Wobblies duty, something very possible as a final squad.

I really feel some of these Super rugby players should be distributed elsewhere for the NRC. If the Rising are just the Rebels minus two or three players, it really defeats the purpose of the NRC. Plus there's clearly a lot of young talent coming through.

But maybe I'm just bitter because my side might only have two or three Super players this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I really feel some of these Super rugby players should be distributed elsewhere for the NRC. If the Rising are just the Rebels minus two or three players, it really defeats the purpose of the NRC. Plus there's clearly a lot of young talent coming through.

But maybe I'm just bitter because my side might only have two or three Super players this year.
I'd expect Weeks, Hanson, Fox, Snowden, Hodge and Asquith to play NRC as well, barring injury and Wallabies duty. I don't know what Hagan's contract says about NRC, but if he's playing, I'd imagine he'd replace Metcher on that list. And I think Crawford will be fit too.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Jordy and one of the Locks (probably Cummins) head back to Sydney as well, think we'd have the talent to cover and everyone overall would get more gametime. But what can you do, just based on the last couple of seasons I think we'll be keeping a core of 14ish boys on full contracts.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Excellent point, oh fat, field goal prop. Taking this point further one could mount an argument for a draft of non-test Super players for each NRC squad. Developing that "young talent coming through" into potential Super squad applicants must be the prime objective of this competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Excellent point, oh fat, field goal prop. Taking this point further one could mount an argument for a draft of non-test Super players for each NRC squad. Developing that "young talent coming through" into potential Super squad applicants must be the prime objective of this competition.

I think a draft could work at NRC level. A more even distribution of Super Rugby talent would create a more equitable competition and develop opportunity for the younger guys coming through.

T

TOCC

The issue is money, if you have a draft who bares the cost of paying the player, his housing costs and other associated relocations costs? What happens if clubs want to develop combinations or develop players in certain positions for the following super rugby season?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The issue is money, if you have a draft who bares the cost of paying the player, his housing costs and other associated relocations costs? What happens if clubs want to develop combinations or develop players in certain positions for the following super rugby season?

Yep..... and the current format is fine, but the NSWRU and the Waratahs need to sort their shit out to get their teams as competitive as the others.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
2016 Melbourne Rising Extended Training Squad:
Forwards:
Mike Tyler (Power House), Luke Bryan (South’s), Jack Wotton (Box Hill), Teru Leota (Power House), Mahe Vailano (Harlequins), Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Uni), Noa Noa (Moorabin), Soane Naufahu (Footscray), Angus Arundel (Harlequins), Peter Altona (Moorabin), Will Clift (Melbourne Uni), Murray Douglas (Harlequins), Craig Charters (Melbourne), Hugh Forbes (Melbourne), Ta Hosea (Harlequins), Isi Tevi (Power House), Samu Machon (Moorabin), Sione Tuafa (Harlequins), Tupai Ikapote (Melbourne), Joeli Baleivou (Box Hill), Sakralia Noa (Moorabin), Matt Tamalii (Kiwi Hawthorne), Mana Faraimo (Harlequins), Nathan Paila (Endeavour)
Backs:
Lucky Palamu (Harlequins), Keisuke Yamada (Footscray), Brandon Folau (South’s), Farao Maradonna (Harlequins), Sam Vaevae (Melbourne), Pat Toeta (Moorabin), Sean Cressy (Power House), Jarred Dowie (South’s), Llyod Johansson (Harlequins), Nuia Pauaka (Power House), Elijah Vole (Harlequins), Taiso Leeana (Power House), Leo Owade (Harlequins), Mataisi Nairava (Melbourne), AuMu Tuimalealifano (Harlequins), Chris Ling (Melbourne), Nailati Ukalele (Boxhill), Matthew Rokowaqa (Boxhill), Saimoni Rokowaqa (Boxhill), Troy Woodman (Kiwi Hawthorne), Matika Tomu (Moorabin), Isaiah Leota (Footscray)

Status
Not open for further replies.