• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
I wouldn't count on seeing a lot of Hodge. Sure, the odd game or two but he's got to be pushing for the 23 with his utility value. At very least he'll often find himself as the 24th man.

Sefa must be approaching Wallaby qualification too, but I think he'll be with the Rising.

Late September he qualifies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Obviously, we're all pretty frustrated by the lack of community players in the team, but there's a chance for 3 or 4 of the successful Vic 20s players to get a shot (the only ones with a GOOD chance to sign a contract, after all).

The only bloke I'm really surprised not to see is Box Hill's 13/15 Filipe who was in the starting XV by the end of last season.

It really is our competition to lose, nobody else competes on roster quality. That being said, that's been the case for the last 2 years too.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Thinking primarily of the front row stocks, we're much better placed to have a go at the title than we were last season. They're clearly using it as a Rebels pathway, and want to win it.

With the trip to Perth being first up, I'd stack the side with our Pros. Dom is probably still missing with injury. Chibba and Hodge probably won't be in the Wobblies 23, but as hooker and last back standing, I think they both may end up going to Wellington as travelling reserves. I'd go for:

Placid, Sefa, Sione, Vole, Engo, Jack, little red, Cruze, Pat, Toby, Cummo, Big Red, Jordy, Colby, Leota. Res: Siliva, Moloney, Metch, Toolis, Fox, Bip, Lloyd, Maddocks

Big "experienced" pack to start with. Toolis is on the bench because he's gone longest without a game, and Fox v Leota is a 50/50, one will come on for the other at 50ish minutes. Went for Vole starting because I don't trust Lloyd to play 80 minutes if required, and I think Maddocks is a 15 who can play 10 rather than one that can play wing.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Maddocks is already a better fullback than Placid, who's going to have to perform well to keep his spot that's for sure.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thinking primarily of the front row stocks, we're much better placed to have a go at the title than we were last season. They're clearly using it as a Rebels pathway, and want to win it.

With the trip to Perth being first up, I'd stack the side with our Pros. Dom is probably still missing with injury. Chibba and Hodge probably won't be in the Wobblies 23, but as hooker and last back standing, I think they both may end up going to Wellington as travelling reserves. I'd go for:

Placid, Sefa, Sione, Vole, Engo, Jack, little red, Cruze, Pat, Toby, Cummo, Big Red, Jordy, Colby, Leota. Res: Siliva, Moloney, Metch, Toolis, Fox, Bip, Lloyd, Maddocks

Big "experienced" pack to start with. Toolis is on the bench because he's gone longest without a game, and Fox v Leota is a 50/50, one will come on for the other at 50ish minutes. Went for Vole starting because I don't trust Lloyd to play 80 minutes if required, and I think Maddocks is a 15 who can play 10 rather than one that can play wing.

Leota is being blooded as a 6. I think you'll find the back row would be 6. Leota, 7. Reid, 8. Fainga'a.

I think Maddocks is already a better fullback than Placid, who's going to have to perform well to keep his spot that's for sure.

You have a short memory. As good as Maddocks was, Placcid tore up his U20 tournament. He's basically Maddocks + 2 years.

Don't give up on the bloke yet, as much as I rate Maddocks.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Leota is being blooded as a 6. I think you'll find the back row would be 6. Leota, 7. Reid, 8. Fainga'a.

You have a short memory. As good as Maddocks was, Placcid tore up his U20 tournament. He's basically Maddocks + 2 years.

Don't give up on the bloke yet, as much as I rate Maddocks.

I just remember Placid refusing to pass the ball after tearing up the defence. Maddocks is far better between the ears, he's bigger, and he can kick and pass.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure Vole & Douglas both picked up injuries in the DS Grand Final which have ruled them out of the tournament

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just remember Placid refusing to pass the ball after tearing up the defence. Maddocks is far better between the ears, he's bigger, and he can kick and pass.

Let's presume you're correct (and with no data that's not necessarily true).

Is it an apples to apples comparison to compare Super Rugby performances with U20 World Cup games?

All I'm saying is hold your horses, we all rated Placcid very highly when he came over and he's still got plenty of time to deliver.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Leota is being blooded as a 6. I think you'll find the back row would be 6. Leota, 7. Reid, 8. Fainga’a

Interesting. Doesn't really matter, Rob, Colby and Jordy are the best back row regardless of numbers and scrum binding. Just would think given how highly he's rated (Craig McGrath believes he can be the Wallaby number 8 at Japan 2019) they'd give him a go at his preferred position.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Toby, English, Colby & Shipperley all missing week 1, expected to return with the first 2-3 weeks of the competition

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That looks like being a very strong side in this year's NRC. I'm very interested to see how Leota and Maddox fare. Two of the best from the U20s imo.

Probably see the Rising against NSW Country in the final.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Interesting. Doesn't really matter, Rob, Colby and Jordy are the best back row regardless of numbers and scrum binding. Just would think given how highly he's rated (Craig McGrath believes he can be the Wallaby number 8 at Japan 2019) they'd give him a go at his preferred position.

I think you'd find if you talked to him that 8 is not necessarily his preferred position.

Also - positions in the back row are more than scrum binding roles, it affects the channel you're expected to play in. This is a large (often uncited) reason that Timani plays lock and not 8, he carries in the middle channel.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I think you'd find if you talked to him that 8 is not necessarily his preferred position.

Also - positions in the back row are more than scrum binding roles, it affects the channel you're expected to play in. This is a large (often uncited) reason that Timani plays lock and not 8, he carries in the middle channel.

I'll trust your judgement on all that. Personal experience of channels is stay out of the tram lines, have a scrum buddy next to you on attack, and be away from your fellow fatties on D. While as a supporter, I know that 1-3-3-1 is a risky but potentially productive forward formation :p

Think watching Glasgow hasn't helped! Big Naka (in the 4 jersey mind you) was the widest, or 2nd widest forward about 80% of the time.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, Nakarawa is obviously an example of a guy who possesses a strange mixture of skills, as does Skelton for example. The trouble with that is, when he gets subbed off the replacement is unlikely to have the same set of skills which means your patterns change. Never good (unless you need a change of approach).

You're on point re: channels. Many coaches love the 1-3-3-1 shape, but personally, I think it leads to crowding in the middle and less space for the backs to play to the edge. Anyway, not a coach.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Toby, English, Colby & Shipperley all missing week 1, expected to return with the first 2-3 weeks of the competition

A pity, but I'd rather those four are ready for Round four v Brisvegas.
Do you have the inside word on why Lorenzo and Mitch are not in a NRC Team? Same for Lopeti?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
A pity, but I'd rather those four are ready for Round four v Brisvegas.
Do you have the inside word on why Lorenzo and Mitch are not in a NRC Team? Same for Lopeti?

Hopefully, Ah-mu gets a crack. He's a good prospect and will hopefully get a contract sooner rather than later.

And between you and me, the Rebels hiring locals saves a lot of $$$. There's a lot less 'hidden costs' (housing, transport, etc.).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I read with some bemusement that no Melbourne Rising gear will be available for purchase this season. Does this not strike you as madness?

I guess at least they keep the colours consistent with the Rebel's colour scheme, but still.

From Facey B.

no rising gear.JPG

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So on a webcast I just saw (interview with Sean Maloney), looks likeJ ack Maddocks is playing on the wing this weekend. New Jersey looked good on Dom.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
So on a webcast I just saw (interview with Sean Maloney), looks likeJ ack Maddocks is playing on the wing this weekend. New Jersey looked good on Dom.

League style winger? We could hoist some kicks to his corner!

Do you have a link to the podcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.