• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Broken down by clubs. Mike Tyler (Power House),

Isi Tevi (Power House),
Teru Leota (Power House),
Sean Cressy (Power House),
Nuia Pauaka (Power House),
Taiso Leeana (Power House),

Luke Bryan (South’s),
Brandon Folau (South’s),
Jarred Dowie (South’s)

Jack Wotton (Box Hill),
Joeli Baleivou (Box Hill),
Nailati Ukalele (Boxhill),
Matthew Rokowaqa (Boxhill),
Saimoni Rokowaqa (Boxhill),

Mahe Vailano (Harlequins),
Angus Arundel (Harlequins),
Murray Douglas (Harlequins),
Ta Hosea (Harlequins),
Sione Tuafa (Harlequins),
Mana Faraimo (Harlequins),
Lucky Palamu (Harlequins),
Farao Maradonna (Harlequins),
Llyod Johansson (Harlequins),
Elijah Vole (Harlequins),
Leo Owade (Harlequins),
AuMu Tuimalealifano (Harlequins),

Jordan Uelese (Melbourne Uni),
Will Clift (Melbourne Uni),

Noa Noa (Moorabin),
Peter Altona (Moorabin),
Samu Machon (Moorabin),
Sakralia Noa (Moorabin),
Pat Toeta (Moorabin),
Matika Tomu (Moorabin),

Soane Naufahu (Footscray),
Keisuke Yamada (Footscray),
Isaiah Leota (Footscray)

Craig Charters (Melbourne),
Hugh Forbes (Melbourne),
Tupai Ikapote (Melbourne),
Sam Vaevae (Melbourne),
Mataisi Nairava (Melbourne),
Chris Ling (Melbourne),

Matt Tamalii (Kiwi Hawthorne),
Troy Woodman (Kiwi Hawthorne),

Nathan Paila (Endeavour)

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
who knew about this ?

"Lomax is expected to make his first appearance for Melbourne in the rebranded red, white and blue of the Rising for the upcoming 2016 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC),"

i have a lot of pink, grey and blue that i now cant wear !

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
:(

It was nice to stand out. Very few teams at this level or higher wear pink, and the design was pretty nice too.

What can you do though I guess. It does make sense from a branding and emphasising the closeness of the teams/squads perspective.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Isn't marketing bullshit amusing to read: HTF does a new look strengthen rugby's elite player pathway in Victoria? Changing the Rising's jumper and kit colours does nothing other than piss off supporters who've purchased team gear in the last few years. Frankly I like the old pink and grey clobber, it's far removed from the gold/orange/yellow fog most of the other teams have saddled themselves with.

My son brought me back a pink and blue Stade Francais t-shirt from his travels in 2012, the pink looks great. The pink Rising was one instance when a team tried to do something a bit off-centre.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
yeah and ill have to change my grand daughter's onesie.
IMG_0833.jpg

T

TOCC

That's disappointing, the Rising jersey was a real point of difference

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Toolis signs for the Rebels AND

Toolis will play for the Melbourne Rising in the upcoming 2016 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC), the seven-week national underpinning competition to Super Rugby.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
I can sympathise with those that bought the rising kit and now have something obsolete. Same thing pissed me off then Rebels went from mostly blue to the white/blue/grey hoops. (which while distinctive I hate the look of)

I really did not like the pink (actually described as salmon by the marketers) so did not buy it. I will have to see what the new kit looks like before I pass any judgement.

Looking forward to seeing Toolis play. I am very curious about this guy. Not holding high hopes given he struggles to hold down a first team spot but still curious none the less.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's no shame to not manage to hold down a starters spot at Edinburgh. It's one of the best packs in the pro12. And the locks themselves, Ben has exposed more of his talent, Grant Gilchrist was named Scotland Captain in 2014 before suffering a series of injuries, and was still calling lineouts and leading the pack ahead of either Gray brother (one of whom is 27 and has a buttload of caps, the other is 22 and captains Glasgow), and Anton Bresler was s starter at the Sharks for a good couple of seasons.

When do we reckon the final squad will be announced? I read somewhere it was a 3 week training period for the extended group, so would that mean about 2 weeks from now? We already know Lomax, Maddocks and Toolis will play. Even without Soup allocations, anybody got a pick from the club players named?

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Thanks for that Highlander. I am even more keen to see Toolis play now.

Speaking of seeing them play. I got the email today stating home games will be 3 at quins and one at frankston. Not that I am complaining as quins is closest to me but they seem to get the lions share of these games. Are there issues with the other grounds? (obviously I don't get to many club games)

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sparks is great for the multiple games, but even the firsts pitch is nowhere near pro standard, probably due to the fact that it is a drainage basin. And South Melbourne FC have a Veto at Lakeside I think. Don't know enough about other possible grounds/stadia.

Don't get your hopes up too high based on my word. I've watched Edinburgh games if I can, but Glasgow has always been my first focus. I'm very interested in how he performs as well.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rising have announced the squad and I'll translate it into written format.

It's basically the Rebels + new additions to Rebels + Aus 20s + a couple from here and there.

Props
Cruze Ah-Nau (Rebel + Footscray)
Tom Moloney (Extended squad Rebel? + Quins)
Fereti Sa'aga (Extended squad Rebel? + University + Locally developed player)
Tim Metcher (Rebel + Rams)
Tyrel Lomax (Aus 20s + Signed Rebel for 2017)
Hookers
Siliva Siliva (Rebel + EHills + Local developed player)
Jordan Uelese (Aus 20s + University + Signed Rebel for 2017 + Locally developed player)
Pat Leafa (Rebel + BHill)
Locks
Steve Cummins (Rebel + Quins)
Sam Jefferies (Rebel + University)
Alex Toolis (Signed Rebel for 2017)
Notters (5/6)
Murray Douglas (Quins)
Back Row
Colby Fainga'a (Rebel + Footscray)
Rob Leota (Rebel + Aus 20s + University + Locally developed player)
Harley Fox (Rebel + House + Aus 20s)
Tupai Ikapote (Aus 20s + Melbourne + Locally developed player)
Jordy Reid (Rebel + Melbourne)
Sione Taufua (Quins)
Halfbacks
Nic Stirzacker (Rebel + EHills)
Mick Snowden (Rebel + Melbourne)
Ben Meehan (Rebel + BHill)
Flyhalves
Lloyd Johansen (Quins + Locally developed player)
Jack Debreczeni (Rebel + EHills)
Centers
Elias Vole (Quins)
Taiso Silafai-Leaana (House)
Reece Hodge (Rebel + Melbourne)
Sefa Naivalu (Rebel + BHill + SORT OF a locally developed player)
Sione Tuipulotu (Rebel + Souths + Locally Developed Player + Aus 20s)
Back Three
Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano (Aus 20s + Quins + Locally developed player)
Tom English (Rebel + University)
Jonah Placcid (Rebel + University)
Dom Shipplerley (Rebel + University)
Jack Maddocks (Signed Rebel for 2017 + Aus 20s)

So we have...
8x 2016 Aus U20s players
9x Locally developed players
This doesn't bode badly for the future.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only 8 of the squad not currently Rebels contracted for 2016 or 2017. Good or bad?

Jury is out... but I don't know what happened to the chat about the NRC cracking down on Perth/ACT/Melb loading up on Super Rugby players.

My understanding is it's not as simple as the clubs being annoying but more that it's difficult to ask a bloke to fuck off for 2.5 months and we'll see you in November.

Still, I think Maddocks/Lomax should've been told to come through a NSW team, Toolis should've been told to come through a Qld team (if not a NSW team). They have the connections there, someone will have a couch (even their parents).

I understand they Rebels want them down here early to integrate them in, but it's ridiculous when the Rebels will be putting out a Super Rugby 23.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Either way.

Placid
Dom
Sefa
Hodge
Engo
Jack D
Little Red
Cruze
Pat
Metch
Big Red
A Tool
Jordy
Colby
Fox

Siliva
Moloney
Lomax
Cummo
Rob
Bip
Sione
Maddocks

Is a good side

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I wouldn't count on seeing a lot of Hodge. Sure, the odd game or two but he's got to be pushing for the 23 with his utility value. At very least he'll often find himself as the 24th man.

Sefa must be approaching Wallaby qualification too, but I think he'll be with the Rising.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With the French contingent back with the Wobs I wouldn't expect Hodge to be near the 23 unless there's some injuries.........

Status
Not open for further replies.