• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rising Season 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think the tyranny of distance (getting 23 extra players up or down) combined with the "Owners" only taking control of the Rebels, the Rising and the U20s means that it's unfeasible for now at least.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
For Sefa, it was more that he was named on the bench then replaced with a backrower (Taufa).

Don't think Toolis is a Blindside, would prefer to rotate the locks for the remaining games and start Fox and Rob.

Jack had a few stuff ups, but I'd much prefer him there than Placid!
I suspect Toolis is playing at 6 as a way of fitting him in to the side. I can't imagine he would be likely to get much time there in Super rugby. He looks a better player than Cummins but Cummins is probably the Rising's best lineout jumper at the moment.

Actually, I'd like to see LT get a crack at BSF. I reckon a Rebels backrow of LT, McMahon and Mafi starting, and Jordy and Colby tossing a coin for the bench spot, would go alright.

If Big Red keeps going the way he is he could be first choice lock next year.

Totally agree on Placid. I hope we get a look at Other Jack soon.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I have noticed that NSW Country and Vikings are running “reserve grade” teams as openers for their games. Are rising doing anything similar?

Due to the fact that Rising is choccas with Rebels players, is there a representative or development team for dewar shield players?
In time, I reckon it would be awesome if each NRC team had an under 20s side playing curtain raisers in their own comp.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
1. Cruze Ah Nau (Footscray/Melbourne Rebels)
2. Pat Leafa (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels)
3. Tim Metcher (Moorabbin/Melbourne Rebels)
4. Sam Jeffries (Melbourne University/Melbourne Rebels)
5. Alex Toolis (Edinburgh (UK)/Melbourne Rebels)
6. Jordy Reid (Melbourne Unicorns/Melbourne Rebels)
7. Ikapote Tupai (Melbourne Unicorns)
8. Harley Fox (Power House/Melbourne Rebels)
9. Nic Stirzaker (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
10. Ben Meehan (Box Hill/Melbourne Rebels)
11. Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano (Harlequin)
12. Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin)
13. Tom English (Melbourne University/Melbourne Rebels)
14. Jonah Placid (Melbourne University/Melbourne Rebels)
15. Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)

Reserves
16. Siliva Siliva (Endeavour Hills/Melbourne Rebels)
17. Tom Moloney ((Harlequin/Melbourne Rebels)
18. Tyrel Lomax (Tuggeranong Vikings (ACT)/Melbourne Rebels)
19. Steve Cummins (Harlequin/Melbourne Rebels)
20. Rob Leota (Melbourne University/Melbourne Rebels)
21. Mick Snowden (Melbourne/Melbourne Rebels)
22. Sione Tuipulotu (Southern Districts/Melbourne Rebels)
23. Isaiah Leota (Footscray)

No Sefa. Tupai gets a start, as does Lloyd. Ah-mu and little red are back, Cummo and Sione to the bench and Toolis plays lock after passing his concussion test.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
Last week was his worst game in either Rising or Rebels colours; I think it's a good message from Zane.
I have to agree. Although he has some talent, I think he is a little of the pace. That will come with experience and time. He has to learn to work harder of the ball. He was caught out a few times last week. Again time and experience will be the better for him. Hopefully they persist. I think the key to the rising and rebels success moving forward will be there centre pairing. We need go forward and power. Plus a solid defender. Time will tell.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think the "unexpected benefit" that Turiniri is talking about is the one I've been spruiking:

A greater understanding of how to play your own role comes from playing another one, and consequently is good for development.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I have to agree. Although he has some talent, I think he is a little of the pace. That will come with experience and time. He has to learn to work harder of the ball. He was caught out a few times last week. Again time and experience will be the better for him. Hopefully they persist. I think the key to the rising and rebels success moving forward will be there centre pairing. We need go forward and power. Plus a solid defender. Time will tell.
A bit OT but I think the Rebels are looking pretty good for centres next year. Probably be Hodge and Inman but there are Sefa, Shipperley, English, and Sione that can all go alright. Our halves are the worry; we aren't going to get far without a quality 10.

jl75

Chris McKivat (8)
A bit OT but I think the Rebels are looking pretty good for centres next year. Probably be Hodge and Inman but there are Sefa, Shipperley, English, and Sione that can all go alright. Our halves are the worry; we aren't going to get far without a quality 10.
There are no quality 10's in OZ. If Stirza can stay fit and injury free, he could return to the 2015 form he had. I do like what I see with BM at 10, but it's only early days. Also chuck in Semi, with quality centres feeding him wow look out.
Maybe hodge and Sefa pairing would be awesome.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Also:

a) Team of the year 2016
b) Best possible team currently playing in the Dewar Shield
c) potential Rising team if there were no Rebels players

Could be three quite different teams, but all could fill the criteria you asked for.

Would it be (b) or (c) you're looking for?

Edit: Having said that, if you remove Rebels players, based on the training squads, match day squads, and the original squad, something like:

1. Mike Tyler (Power House)
2. Jordan Uelese (Uni)
3. Fereti Sa'aga (Uni)
4. Angus Hamilton (Harlequins)
5. Murray Douglas (Harlequins)
6. Sione Taufa (Harlequins)
7. Ikapotae Tupai (Melbourne)
8. Ta Hosea (Harlequins)
9. Keisuke Yamada (Footscray)
10. Lloyd Johannsen (Harlequins)
11. Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano (Harlequins)
12. Eli Vole (Harlequins)
13. Taiso Silafai Leena (Powerhous)
14. Isiah Leota (Footscray)
15. ???

Others will know much better than me though.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I'm curious to see somebody have a crack at this too, having left Melbourne late last year and only seen one Dewar Shield match this year.

Assuming that option (C), no 2016 contacted Rebels players at all whether they have played DS or not, is the criteria then I would assume something along the following lines as a starting point (and I have also used this extended squad for guidance along with 2014 & 2015 NRC form & 2016 Rebels U20s team):

1. ???
2. Jordan Uelese
3. Fereti Sa'aga
4. Murray Douglas
5. Angus amilton
6. Sione Taufa
7. Ikapote Tupai
8. Ta Hosea
9. Keisuke Yamada
10. Patolo Toeta
11. Filipe Vilitati
12. Lloyd Johansson
13. Taiso Silafai-Leaana
14. Ah-Mu Tuimaleali'ifano
15. Billy Gray
16. Angus Arundel
17. Mahe Vailanu
18. Mike Tyler
19. Will Clift
20. Robert Valetini
21. Maradona Farao
22. Elias Vole/Leo Taliu
23. Oisin Clarken/Isaiah Leota/Josh Cocker-Valu

I left Angus Fowler out as it appears he has returned to Queensland, and likewise with Josh Coward signing for the 7s program, but somebody else may have a better understabnding of that situation than I.

Many from the 2015 side are no longer in Melbourne; Duncan Chubb, Mitch Andrews, Stacey Ili, Justin Marsters, while Pom Simona retired (but I would pick him in my 23 any day of the week).

From 2014, the likes of Greg Bauer, Frank Amituanai, OJ Noa, Rennie Lautolo-Molimau, Reuben Rolleston, Junior Paila, Martin Naufahu, Shane Imo, Finbar Simpson and Tui Tuiatua seem to no longer be around either.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bauer went back to South Africa after his exhange year at RMIT.

Don't know where Frank Amituanai ended up.

OJ Noa is obviously up in the ACT with the Vikings

RLM, Reuben Rolleston, Junior Paila and Martin Naufahu are still around I think. Naufahu was in the Tonga training squad for the June Internationals.

No idea where Simpson or Tui ended up, but Imo played in Spain I think.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bauer went back to South Africa after his exhange year at RMIT.

Don't know where Frank Amituanai ended up.

OJ Noa is obviously up in the ACT with the Vikings

RLM, Reuben Rolleston, Junior Paila and Martin Naufahu are still around I think. Naufahu was in the Tonga training squad for the June Internationals.

No idea where Simpson or Tui ended up, but Imo played in Spain I think.

RLM and Rolleston play at Moorabbin now. They had a great squad on paper this year.

Both Palias are at the Eagles and always threaten to have a breakout year. Nathan in particular could've been anything.

Bauer did not go to RMIT, nor was he on an exchange. I think he did some study over here but it was always travel for travel's sake. I think he's plying in the National Championship of Excellence in Italy.

I'll also add to a previous post that Fereti plays LH and not TH prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.