• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Memo to JON and your "event manager"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

What have we got?
At best F'ken John Williamson singing about a Sheep Rustler, or alternatively a pissed Barnsey belting out Khe Sanh, or Doc Neeson and Am I Ever Going To See Your Face Again? ........No Way, Get etc.....

The AFL teams all have a team song, frequently a reworded Old Time Ditty.
The Pom's have hijacked "Swing Low Sweet Chariot".

We gotta do something to establish our point of difference.

Waltzing Matilda, WALTZING MATILDA! YOU COME A WALTZING MATILDA WITH ME!

nooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :(

The Old Boys Rugby Choir are planning on leading the Anthems in Sydney, details on our blog
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/advance-australia-fair

Great comeback to the Haka. Not.

Singing a song to the sheepshaggers about a suicidal sheep thief!

C'mon JO'N we gotta do better than that.

And while we are on the issue, mike up the Old Boys Choir better next time, so we can actually hear them at the stadium. Great effort on having the balls to go with the Old Boys Rugby Choir.

H

Hartman

The fact that Waltzing Matilda is sung by an absolute has-been doesn't help.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The fact that Waltzing Matilda is sung by an absolute has-been doesn't help.

if anyone is gonna sing "waltzing" john williamson should be the man. Has-beens arnt selling out the opera house a few times over young man. I suggest if you wanna go see the veronicas or one of your "pop acts" rugby league might be more up your mangina.

George

Frank Nicholson (4)
Loved the idea of the old boys choir, great concept- as much as love JW singing anthem, would rather have heard the boys sing. Think the crowds have to take some responsibility and sing hearts out - pride, passion and all the rest. We have it in our lounge room!!!!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Seriously you guys need to let go. Become a republic. It worked for SA. We got rid of a lot of our emotional baggage when it comes to the Poms. They want to look after their Queen and that's their business. At least it's short and sweet. Imagine it went on as long as the Argie anthem.

And remind me - why, and when, exactly, did you become a republic...? ;)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Can't go past Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau at Cardiff Arms Park (or Millenium Stadium) with Bryn Terfel leading the charge.

That 1990 version of Flower of Scotland goes close though. John Jeffries, Finlay Calder and David Sole would have slit the Poms throats that day. And did you see the reaction of the Poms out of the corner of screen - looking like rabbits in the headlights....

Actually the best rugby song ever is 'World in Union' with Shirley Bassey and Bryn Terfel at the 1999 World Cup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9s3xiFI4Ns&feature=related

Ah, the Murrayfield Walk. First time Flower of Scotland was ever sung before a match, btw.

But Bryn singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhaddau - I'll forgive the Welsh most things just for producing a man who can sing like that. Hwyl, mun, hwyl.

The only thing that beats it is the Marseillaise (Nkosi Sikelele/Die Stem in third, btw). About two seasons ago, the French, pre-6N games, had military choirs singing the anthems, unaccompanied. And in one game, they had La Legion, all in képi blanche. Now, La Legion take their singing very seriously, so it sounded magnificent; but if I had a bunch of Legionnaires behind me belting out, "Let's march, let's march so that impure blood may water our fields"... Well, suffice to say I might be thinking twice about that dodgy hamstring lasting the game...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Loved the idea of the old boys choir, great concept- as much as love JW singing anthem, would rather have heard the boys sing. Think the crowds have to take some responsibility and sing hearts out - pride, passion and all the rest. We have it in our lounge room!!!!

I thought the crowd did a pretty fair job, there seemed to be quite a few of them signing along on the night. Stick a tenor in each bay and mic up the old boys and see how that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.