• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mongrel – what is it? who has it? is it warranted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Kevin Campion - real mongrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05qIr6HG9QU

Mongrel is the hard, tough attitude that everyone's talked about BUT it is also about not taking any shit from anyone. It's not about playing dirty but it's also about letting the opposition know that they won't be able to hide behind the Laws of the game if they f*ck wit you or your boys. Have you ever played with a guy who is just f*ckn hard and you go in the locker rooms after every game and have a beer and a laugh and you like the guy but in the back your mind you always wonder if all the screws in his head are done up tight?? He's that guy want at your side if you're in a street-fight or you're in a war if you know what I mean. To me-THAT'S mongrel.

Kevin Campion.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Brett Sheehan is a mongrel plays hard but he has a bit of dirty side, from the Wallabies Rocky is the probably the biggest mongrel we've got.

Pocock would be the hardest player in the team but Rocky is probably the one bloke how would get involved in a bit of off the ball action.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Dunning tried to show mongrel. I've never seen an Aussie in the modern game throw so many non consecutive punches. Pity no one could take the baby face seriously.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Brett Sheehan is a mongrel plays hard but he has a bit of dirty side, from the Wallabies Rocky is the probably the biggest mongrel we've got.

Pocock would be the hardest player in the team but Rocky is probably the one bloke how would get involved in a bit of off the ball action.

Rocky in the reds game this year showed a huge amount of mongrel - like he wanted to put the reds firmly back in their place. I'd like to see that level of drive in an international. Come to think of it, I'd like to see a few Brumbies raise their international play to the standard seen in that match (e.g. Gits).

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I was gonna suggest Horwill but if he really had mongrel he wouldn't have taken these licks as tamely as he did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOVlXr0pS_w

And then penalized for it to add insult to injury, while the surrendermonkey got off scot free. I'm still burning over that one a bit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A couple more things about 'mongrel'

Guys with mongrel often don't know what the f*ck you're talking about when you mention it to them. If you tell them that they have 'mongrel' or that they're 'hard' they think you're talking shit. They just think they play the game how it's supposed to be played.

Mongrel is not how you play the game - it's how you live life.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bullrush, there is much to agree with there. The truly hard blokes are not show boaters or go around telling everybody how well 'ard they are. Guys like Brad Thorn are just tough men in general. There is a difference between a hard man and a thug or nut case. Those guys would end up in jail if their on field deeds were incidents in a pub. Every team needs an enforcer though, who is often one of the locks or the blindside. A guy who will let the opposition know that if they want to go the stink or something dirty then this particular individual will be happy to accommodate them.

The example of Sheehan is a good one, but not as a positive. He's an annoying cheap shot merchant who has short man's syndrome. That's not mongrel, it's just stupidity. I'd love to see someone like Rocky or Horwill absolutely sort him out one day. Bury him in a front on hit or nail him at a ruck or scrum.

T

TheTruth

Never seen so much mongrel in one man...

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/greenandgoldrugby#p/u/7/TkDTkXuxr7Q[/video]

scared the shit out of me and the rest of the rugby world, I'm sure

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
yea you can tell that by the fact after you watch the videos the ralated clips for the respective. More highlights of indescretions for burger and tribute clips for Pocock...

Status
Not open for further replies.