• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mungoball match fixing scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

A big story involving several NRL players will break on Monday which will see life bans handed out to a few players and managers....

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
You bloody ripper!! Will those players be big names suitable for jumping code? Would we want them if they were?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Appears the rumours that have been quietly doing the rounds for the last few years are true then.

You have to say it has been a terrible year for the League from a Public relations standpoint. Storm, the usual player bad behaviour and now this. How much more will their major sponsors stand for?

C

chief

Sponsors love it. Despite NRL's disgraceful year last year, ratings went up more interest came. It's sad for the Children having idols who blatantly flaunt the rules of League and even the law. What a disgrace.

T

TOCC

Its still only a rumour, but its coming from a few different places so there is has got to be at least some truth to the rumour...

Players facing bans are: Jonathon Thurston, Willie Mason, Aaron Payne, Adam Blair, Ryan Tandy & Hassan Saleh. The manager is Sam Ayoub.

They came up with the decision a while ago but they are saving it until after the Grand Final.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There is an email circluating around that names a few players but not sure if it there is any truth to it. It has been floating around for about a week now.

If true, there is a stand-out representative player who will looking for a new code to play next year. Given the clubs involved in the match, it shouldn't be too hard to work out who that is.

But, I haven't seen anything to back up the allegations yet.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
shheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiittt. I assume you won't give us anything further before the story comes out and how you know?

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
oh i hope that Thurston and mason get kicked out (and stay out of rugby). massive uproar over that and shaking of the foundations, Sam Ayoub would lose out too

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
ok so between the boys u wanna spill the beans... theres no leaguies here... i wont tell anyone till mondy~

W

WB3

Awesome rumour, but to be honest, even if it were true I feel that aside from sating the anti-mungo hordes' thirst for blood there is no benefit to rugby from it. No kids will swap their viewership of sport because of it, even less likely the sport they play (parents might exert some influence, but I doubt it) and if the ARU signs someone busted for match fixing then they are nuts.
Still, interesting to see how it pans out.

T

TOCC

shheeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiittt. I assume you won't give us anything further before the story comes out and how you know?

nah i dont know anything more... its still only a rumour

My mate claims to have heard it from his mate who was involved in the prosecution since it involved a police investigation

also heard it from a mate in Sydney who claims it was the reason that JT was drunk that night in Brisbane, also why he was dropped from the Kanagaroos.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
there is no benefit to rugby from it. No kids will swap their viewership of sport because of it, even less likely the sport they play (parents might exert some influence, but I doubt it)

untrue, ive convinced a couple of mothers to switch their kids codes next season based on the behaviour of the respective codes (along with the influence within private school bursaries)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I doubt that the ARU would allow any Union to sign somebody charged/banned with match fixing. Remember that the ARU quietly vetoed Andrew Johns attempted move to the Tahs because his drug habit was well known to many in playing & coaching circles.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is the NRL's own fault! they let the Sports betting companies in. Actually they invited them in with open arms and promoted them shamelessly. What did they think was going to happen?

Assuming it's true.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
When ARU has not signed Johns due to the drugs issue, has dumped Wendell for Drugs, has dumped Lote for ???? (I'm not sure if it has been publicly announced yet, but we all know), has fined bad boys for throwing food, there is no way that they will pick up displaced disgraced mungos.

Best thing for them would be to head OS, the europeans may have some space any disgraced RL's.

If the rumours are true, there would be a backlash for the NRL cynically sitting on the information for so long to protect its investment in the GF brand.

Their GF game would be a sell out regardless of scandals. The sponsors are not as dumb as the general public when it comes to cynical spin-doctoring.

W

WB3

untrue, ive convinced a couple of mothers to switch their kids codes next season based on the behaviour of the respective codes (along with the influence within private school bursaries)

Fair enough, I'm more talking about the born and bred mungoes who have been supporters of their respective teams for generations. Still, I suppose anything could happen.

As for inviting the betting agencies in; I don't think it is nice that they integrate advertisment of betting into their commentary and so on, but I would imagine that any illegal match-fixing is not organised by TAB Sportsbet, but rather by the type of people you'd see in Underbelly (though that could just be my naivety coming through).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This is the NRL's own fault! they let the Sports betting companies in. Actually they invited them in with open arms and promoted them shamelessly. What did they think was going to happen?

Assuming it's true.

And was it Rabbs Warren who was centrefold in the Sunday telegraph about his sports gambling problem. Lost houses and cars and other things as well.
And then during the live calls, the Ch 9 team promote the Sports betting outfits and the odds they are offering on whatever.

Hope they pay him well for that.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Its not so much Channel 9 promos, more sites set up by the clubs themselves to make some cash on the side.

Have a look at http://www.bunnybet.com.au . Its essentially Betezy, but branded with the Rabbitoh logo and promoted through the clubs website. Its all a money making scheme- much like with pokies the Rugby League has shown time and time again that they value the dollar far more than their patrons.

Status
Not open for further replies.