• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mungoball match fixing scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Burke's Boot

I hope this ends up being another good self-administered poke in the eye to the Mungoes and it isn't a canard.

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
woh woh woh.

Can everyone take a big breath on this thread. I think we're treading (some of us leaping over) a fine line here. A few "allegedlies" wouldn't go astray. Or proof perhaps?

Just change the title to z"Alleged Mungoball match fixing scandalz" and the site should be covered.....

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Rumour: Thurston and Willie Mason in Match fixing scandal

Hey guys,

Sorry, a little off topic but;

I hear from a few people and this article below that Willie Mason and Jonathon Thurston have been embroiled in a match fixing scandal in the NRL which will be announced after the Grand Final next week.

They may be banned for life from the game if the claims can be substantiated.

If this is case I wouldn't be surprised to see Thurston playing in the Top 14 in France next season. I dont think we would ever see him in Super 15 colours though... Thoughts?

Here is a link to it:
http://www.3news.co.nz/NRL-match-fi...onday/tabid/415/articleID/178935/Default.aspx

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty sure that if they get banned from one code the ban would stand from all codes. At least from an ethical stand point I'd hope so.

If not I think we'd see Thursdon to France, Mason to Japan.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Mason might even retire. He has been around for ages. I think one of the French club would find a way around the ethical dilemma to get him in the squad. He would be a serious talent and in light of the scandal; available at a discounted price...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
From League Central:
THE National Rugby League has labelled a slew of electronic material linked to the alleged Cowboys-Bulldogs betting plunge as "bogus" and dismissed rumours it would issue life bans to perpetrators 24 hours after the grand final.

NRL operations chief Graham Annesley dismissed the texts and emails and scuppered suggestions the governing body was set to rock the code by issuing life bans.

"There is nothing to it as far as we know in relation to all the allegations that are in those texts and emails," he said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/betting-probe-emails-exposed-as-bogus-by-nrl-as-cowboys-bulldogs-investigation-continues/story-e6frep5x-1225932536330

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The NRL has simply denied it intends to announce anything, this coming Monday.
They are spin Kings, nothing will be done until after their 4 nations thingy has been completed.
The NRL has however confirmed that they have made certain allegations to the police.
Gallup will ensure that due process is followed before anyone gets a life ban.
This does not mean that some or all of the people named have nothing to worry about.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Email also says that thurston got arrested for being drunk in public hours after being told he was going to be interviewed by the police.

A journo friend of mine said they knew about it earlyer in the week but none of the papers are going to print much about it until monday as it means they have more to talk about. And I guess that the papers dont want to be throwing around wild rumors. This could all be bullshit.

But jeez thurston would be a good buy for a union club if they got him on the straight and narrow. I doubt that he will get a run overseas as normally you cant get a working visa if you have a criminal charge. If he got a ban from rl and the ARU vetoed his signing, he could end up in the shute shield. Now that would be interesting....

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Thurston is a grub. Why would we want him ? No more mungoes, they are bad news.

Agree re JT, however these anti Mungo calls get under my skin a bit.
When are they mungoes?
Mat Rogers was a Mungo, but yet he played Aust Schoolboys.
Berrick is not a Mungo but he came staight from the Bronco's
What about Brad Thorn? is he or isn't he?
I am all for only signing quality people, but I don't care where they come from.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
i think if they where picked up, straight into proffesional rugby from mungoball, whilst always playing mungoball, and never playing a game of park rugby they are a mungo

though rogers was a mungo just coz he was such a classless person...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
When are they mungoes?
I am all for only signing quality people, but I don't care where they come from.

Simple; if they're good they're not a mungo.

If they're bad or inconsistent they are a mungo.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bulldogs, bookies and big bucks

Kate McClymont and Tom Reilly
October 2, 2010

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/bulldogs-bookies-and-big-bucks-20101001-1611q.html

AN INVESTIGATION into a huge betting plunge on the Cowboys to score first in an NRL match has identified many of those who made cash bets in pubs, clubs and TABs by matching the times of the wagers with CCTV footage.

It was August 21, the day of the federal election, and the adage ''vote early and vote often'' was replaced with ''bet early and bet often''.

There was a deluge of money for the lowly ranked Cowboys to open the scoring with a penalty goal against the Bulldogs. Two minutes after the 7.30pm kick-off in Townsville, a Bulldogs player, Ryan Tandy, was penalised for preventing a Cowboys player getting to his feet. A penalty was awarded in front of the posts.

Advertisement: Story continues belowBut the Cowboys opted to take the tap rather than kicking for a goal. In that split second, the hundreds and thousands of dollars wagered by punters as far afield as New Zealand went down the gurgler.

Five hours before kick-off, Scott Woodward, a league analyst, who had been monitoring NRL prices, sent a text message to the league great Peter Tunks who was on air at radio 2SM.

''This looks a hot game,'' said Woodward. Bookmakers clearly thought so, too, suspending the betting on the Cowboys to score first.

The NRL was alarmed at the betting plunge and called in horseracing officials to help with their investigation.

The chairman of stewards, Ray Murrihy, traced almost every wager on this ''exotic'' bet to terminals in pubs, clubs and TABs across the country. Once they established the time of the bet, they matched it up with CCTV footage. They recognised some familiar faces.

Of particular interest were the bets that had been put on as early as the Wednesday before the game. Racing officials discovered that some of the bigger punters had cleverly disguised their bet by having a ''multi''. This entailed betting on five different sporting outcomes. The other four parts involved sure things such as tennis star Roger Federer to beat a qualifier.

When Murrihy gave the NRL his report, it was so concerned at what he had uncovered, it called in the NSW Police. Among those to have placed bets on the Cowboys to score first were Tandy's manager, Sam Ayoub. CCTV footage from the Duke of Gloucester Hotel in Randwick shows that Tandy's friend Michael Cook, a professional punter, also had a wager on the game.

There is nothing illegal about either Ayoub or Cook having such a bet. Both are regular punters and there is nothing to suggest either had any prior knowledge or involvement in what later took place.

But Cook at least is no stranger

to betting controversies. In 2007 he was questioned by Murrihy in relation to an ''unhealthy maze of calls'' among jockeys, punters and trainers involving a race won by Interfere.

Cook was also questioned in 2004 after an apprentice jockey, Willie Peason, who had made calls to a punter before the race, was suspended after the stewards found his ride was suspect.

"There are a number of actions and inactions on your part that can be seen as an intention to lose,''Murrihy said at the time. Pearson's horse had been the favourite but there was a late plunge on the eventual winner Lord of the Land. No action was taken against Cook.

Since the Townsville incident, Tandy's love of the punt has come under the spotlight.

Although not linked to the betting scandal, there are also questions about his friendship with a former Dragons teammate, Nassan Saleh. Saleh is understood to be Tandy's flatmate and manages the Sapphire Suite nightclub in Kings Cross, which is owned by his father Charlie.

The nightclub, a favoured haunt of some league players, has had plenty of unwelcome publicity. Two years ago its bouncer, a former Rooster, Willie Brown, was shot in the leg. This year Saleh required 100 stitches to his face and neck after being attacked with a glass at the nightclub.

This week a barrage of texts and emails naming players allegedly involved in the betting plunge have been circulating widely.

One player-manager, who asked not to be named, said the betting scandal was the biggest point of discussion in the sport.

"This is a huge talking point in the game at the moment. Everyone's gossiping about it. Something happened in terms of the bets going on, and the names being bandied around are very interesting. But I guess it's a case of proving what really happened.

''Until then I suppose we will keep getting texts that certain players are about to be banned."

A police source familiar with the investigation said: "There's definitely a lot of rumour, gossip and speculation and a lot of what is going around is best described as fiction. Other parts, though, could be quite accurate.''

The Herald understands that no players have been interviewed by police, though detectives have arranged to meet with members of the Canterbury Bulldogs squad in the coming week.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
When are they mungoes?

The most important part is highlighted. People not players. There have been some great RL players who have been absolute grubs. I don't care how good they are on the field I don't want shit playing Rugby especially at the highest levels. If the players named get banned they should even get a run at amateur club level.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If the rumours are true, there would be a backlash for the NRL cynically sitting on the information for so long to protect its investment in the GF brand.
they have done well to keep the Tigers half out of the papers this week. Only one day of publicity for beating a pregnant girl friend

Status
Not open for further replies.