• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mungoball match fixing scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is the NRL's own fault! they let the Sports betting companies in. Actually they invited them in with open arms and promoted them shamelessly. What did they think was going to happen?

Assuming it's true.

I hate to have to remind you that there were "Sportsbet" ads as part of the pre-match coverage in each of the Test matches this year on 7.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Have the mungo clubs ever cared about their members or was it just a ruse to separate them from their money to help pay for the largesse for the club administrators?

Now the govt has made it difficult for them to print their own money, via the pokies tax, they have to find new ways to get easy money.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I hate to have to remind you that there were "Sportsbet" ads as part of the pre-match coverage in each of the Test matches this year on 7.

It wasn't on the Fox coverage so I highly doubt that the ARU have their fingers in that pie. I certainly hope not. It is a can of worms best left un-opened. Probably just a standard comercial placement by CH7 and not an ARU sanctioned thing.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

yeh but have you seen those ads? i doubt they're aimed at the average rugger, and if they are, i hate myself...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
It wasn't on the Fox coverage so I highly doubt that the ARU have their fingers in that pie. I certainly hope not. It is a can of worms best left un-opened. Probably just a standard comercial placement by CH7 and not an ARU sanctioned thing.

yeh but have you seen those ads? i doubt they're aimed at the average rugger, and if they are, i hate myself...

Nevertheless, the ads were there for everyone to see, so we can hardly claim to have a squeaky clean record.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Nevertheless, the ads were there for everyone to see, so we can hardly claim to have a squeaky clean record.

? You've lost me. The point was that the NRL clubs actively profit from these activities. How does this compare where to my knowledge the ARU does not have any revenue from these sources.

Australians are well known to bet on the outcome of any event evn if it is a backyard cockroach race. The fact that these companies advertise during Rugby events is no surprise, it would be surprising if they didn't. But how are Rugby's hand sullied if there is no direct relationship?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
? You've lost me. The point was that the NRL clubs actively profit from these activities. How does this compare where to my knowledge the ARU does not have any revenue from these sources.

Australians are well known to bet on the outcome of any event evn if it is a backyard cockroach race. The fact that these companies advertise during Rugby events is no surprise, it would be surprising if they didn't. But how are Rugby's hand sullied if there is no direct relationship?

They were there for every Test; why didn't the ARU request their removal? I see your point, though.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Up north we didn't hear the rumours about Lote so can someone enlighten me about his dismissal.

Jeez if thurston is banned then thats a big blow for league he is one of their most prominent players. Don't care about the others especially Mason but JT is a good player and woud be sad to see him leave but then again cooper cronk would take over and hes one of favourite leagueies along with slater

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
heard these for a couple of weeks to, just to check its the same as others are hearing, its not so much about fixing matches as fixing stupid little side bets, like first points, sin bins, missed tackles etc etc. the really stupid stuff that should be banned anyway.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's not the fact that you can bet on matches that is the main problem. You can bet on the first scorer, How it will be scored and still bet on the outcome at half time. What you can bet on needs to be pulled back and all betting should be suspended after the game starts. if all you have to do is give a penalty in front of the posts to earn a paycheck then it's an easy thing to be talked into.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Hmm, that email sounds like a conspiracy theory.

Still, the basics of the one event could well be true.

Note to mungo lawyers: (1) everyone has the email (2) it's probabaly bullshit (3) we'll find out on Monday, won't we?

chequebalance

Bill Watson (15)
yea i didn't put much stock in it either but thought i would post it as it seemed relevent.

I will blame it all on Professor Plum, with the candle stick, in the library...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I thought there were 17 reasons, but I guess 16 is pretty close...

And that email is so poorly written it's ridiculous

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
It's not the fact that you can bet on matches that is the main problem. You can bet on the first scorer, How it will be scored and still bet on the outcome at half time. What you can bet on needs to be pulled back and all betting should be suspended after the game starts. if all you have to do is give a penalty in front of the posts to earn a paycheck then it's an easy thing to be talked into.

The law in Victoria actually prevents betting once the game has started. The problem is the betting exchanges (betfair I think) are not bookies so the law can be circumvented by using them, or betting with an overseas agency. The problem has got too big to control in the internet age. The biggest issue I have is the bookies crying foul when a team doesnt field a full strength side in an irrelevant game, or something along those lines. They make their money by generally having the best info, then have a sook if something goes against them.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just listened to the radio and Ray Hadley took time out from being cheer leader for Tony Abbott and the Liberal Party to say that this is all bullshit, that is except the part about there being a Police Investigation into allegations of match fixing.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
nah i dont know anything more... its still only a rumour

My mate claims to have heard it from his mate who was involved in the prosecution since it involved a police investigation

also heard it from a mate in Sydney who claims it was the reason that JT was drunk that night in Brisbane, also why he was dropped from the Kanagaroos.

There are apparently a number of players from a northern Qld city who are involved. The allegations are centered around one underachieving club.

More mail: Investigators apparently caught one of the alleged protagonists trying to place $50,000 on the first score being a penalty at odds of 12-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.