• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mungoball match fixing scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
they have done well to keep the Tigers half out of the papers this week. Only one day of publicity for beating a pregnant girl friend

Well suppressed by the spindoctors. I have heard nothing. Any details. Sounds a pretty low act if it is true. Presume that there was alcohol involved.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
From the Australian 28/9........
The career of Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui is in limbo after he was charged with nine offences against his partner, Taleah Backo, which include two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three of common assault, one of malicious damage, one of choking with intent to commit an indictable offence, one of detaining for advantage, and one of aggravated robbery.

Lui, who has been stood down indefinitely by the club, turned himself in to Campsie police station following a complaint which occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning after the Tigers had lost their preliminary final 13-12 to St George Illawarra.

The 20-year-old, who has vowed to vigorously defend himself against the charges, appeared in Burwood Local Court yesterday sporting a shaved head and was granted bail of $6000 on the condition he did not contact Backo and must reside at an address in the Sydney suburb of Chiswick.

He will face court again in November.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mason will do alright, he will probably go to the NFL:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Trouble seems to follow this chap around. Recent changes of club and location should have provided him with the opportunity to make a clean break, but poor team performance seems to have a close correlation with his presence on the playing roster.

Not sure it is all his fault, but seems an interesting coincidence.

In terms of NFL bad behaviour, if you believe all you read in the papers about what some of them have done, Mason's behaviour would pale into insignificance.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From the Australian 28/9........
The career of Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui is in limbo after he was charged with nine offences against his partner, Taleah Backo, which include two counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three of common assault, one of malicious damage, one of choking with intent to commit an indictable offence, one of detaining for advantage, and one of aggravated robbery.

Lui, who has been stood down indefinitely by the club, turned himself in to Campsie police station following a complaint which occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning after the Tigers had lost their preliminary final 13-12 to St George Illawarra.

The 20-year-old, who has vowed to vigorously defend himself against the charges, appeared in Burwood Local Court yesterday sporting a shaved head and was granted bail of $6000 on the condition he did not contact Backo and must reside at an address in the Sydney suburb of Chiswick.

He will face court again in November.

Why is it relevant if he was "sporting a shaved head". Bloody media prejudices.

This is a very unfortunate set of circumstances for all parties concerned.
Even if found not guilty, the relationship between Lui and Backo will be damaged, and to think there is potentially a little one involved.

If found guilty then Lui deserves everything coming to him, and all power to Ms Backo.

The mungo clubs should take better care of their young charges, and put in place a supporting and nurturing culture around their youngsters to prevent these things happening. Too much money, too much time on their hands, too much adulation, easy access to alcohol - recipe for disaster really.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bulldogs players questioned over scandal

This story refuses to lie down.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-questioned-over-scandal-20101005-1660e.html

Detectives have reportedly interviewed up to 20 Bulldogs players over a potential betting scandal involving a match between the North Queensland Cowboys and the Canterbury club.

The players spoke with police for up to an hour on Tuesday in relation to the allegations surrounding the round 24 clash in August, the Nine Network reported.

NSW State Crime Command was unavailable to confirm the report but, when asked what had occurred during the police interview, player Bryson Goodwin told the network: "They just asked us a few general questions about it, just doing their job".

"No one's done anything wrong ... so we just let them know we've got nothing to hide."

He also said the rumours had been hard on the team.

"It's lucky that it happened at the end of the year, 'cause it would have been a lot of stress on the team."

A lawyer for Ben Roberts declined to comment, saying he had been instructed by the club not to give media interviews.

Rumours circulated last month alleging four NRL players were involved in a plan for North Queensland to kick a penalty goal as the first scoring play in the match against the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Police are investigating the unusual betting activity stemming from that match, but have said no time limit will be put on any findings.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I reckon it'd be downright impossible to prove unless one of the major players fesses up.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I reckon it'd be downright impossible to prove unless one of the major players fesses up.

Police/Criminal requires "beyond reasonable doubt" ......as you say maybe a bit tricky to prove.
NRL suspension/deregistering player "on the balance of probabilities"...much easier to prove, if they want to go there

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
It doesn't look like anything is going to happen here does it. I have been eagerly waiting this is to break

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
It doesn't look like anything is going to happen here does it. I have been eagerly waiting this is to break

This was in the Courier mail yesterday:

THERE is unlikely to be any resolution to the alleged betting scandal investigation gripping the NRL and the North Queensland Cowboys until next year.

New South Wales police's Strike Force Suburb finalised their interviews with available Cowboys players yesterday afternoon, the Townsville Bulletin reports.

The interviews have come following allegations of a betting sting on the Cowboys/Bulldogs round-24 clash sparked by a betting plunge on a North Queensland penalty goal as first points in the lead-up.
Read on about the Cowboys investigation in the Townsville Bulletin.

The initial focus on the Cowboys' 24-22 home loss to the Bulldogs on August 21 has widened to other games in a criminal investigation that is expected to continue into the new year.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Courier-Mail reporters have learnt from a highly placed source with knowledge of the probe that several people connected with the Cowboys had "been to the well a few times".

NSW police have not publicly revealed elements of Strike Force Suburb, whose investigation threatens to rock the code if detectives can gain enough evidence to press charges.

A NSW police spokeswoman said a few Cowboys players who were unable to attend interviews in Townsville would be spoken to next week, either in person or on the phone.

Last night, Cowboys players attended the club's annual presentation ball, with little to celebrate after only five wins during the 2010 season.

NRL chief executive David Gallop said that he did not believe it was appropriate to comment on a matter that was currently in the hands of police.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I can't believe Gallup will sweep this under the carpet.
Let's see what happens after the Tests have been completed.
I reckon the spin doctors would tell him December/early January is the best time to deal with it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Coppers can not find sufficient evidence to prosecute any individuals, then Gallup really has no option but to move on/ignore the rumours/sweep it under the carpet.

He is quite an astute person and I do not think he will sit on a powder keg like this for too long, if the allegations are correct and there is actual evidence of collusion out there.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you might be selling Gallup a bit short there HJ.
he is very astute,and is not scared of making big calls.The Storm this year & cancelling the Dally M's a few years ago are just 2 examples.
balance of probability is much easier to prove than beyond reasonable doubt.
When it's all said & done, if one of the NRL contracted players had a bet on ANY NRL game, they are gooooone.

Status
Not open for further replies.