• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Wallaby side thus far..

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Not including injured players. We've also gone from having no backup for Mortlock to having guys like Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane and Cross who can play 13.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Caldwell
5. Chisolm
6. Mumm
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Gits
13. Morty
14. Ioane
15. McClinden

16. Sheperdson????
17. 3M
18. Brown
19. TPN
20. Barnes
21. Burgess
22. Sheperd/Tuquri

I can't find room for some good players. I'm not sure who should play reserve prop but I think Sheperdson has been good and he can play both sides. The kicking ability of my back 3 is a concern but they will run and not kick :thumb

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spook said:
Not including injured players. We've also gone from having no backup for Mortlock to having guys like Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ioane and Cross who can play 13.

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Baxter
4. Caldwell
5. Chisolm
6. Mumm
7. Smith
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Gits
13. Morty
14. Ioane
15. McClinden

16. Sheperdson????
17. 3M
18. Brown
19. TPN
20. Barnes
21. Burgess
22. Sheperd/Tuquri

I can't find room for some good players. I'm not sure who should play reserve prop but I think Sheperdson has been good and he can play both sides.

Not so bad.

I'd think seriously of Higginbotham ahead of Mumm - presuming we are picking on form alone.

Scratch Cooper. Gits to 10, Barnes to 12. Gits and Barnes gave master classes in those positions today - both against strong opposition.

Must find a place for Horne on the bench.

Not sure about Brown. If Leroy can repeat today's effort consistently, he should be in there.

S

Spook

Mumm has been quite good though. Maybe we could move him into lock and lose Chisolm. Higginbotham to 6 then? I haven't seen his lineout work..is it any good?

Weight 1.94m
Height 110kg

He certainly has the size for test rugby.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not sure about Brown. If Leroy can repeat today's effort consistently, he should be in there.

If you are happy that he would only be able to play for about 40minutes. He was busted about 5mins after halftime in todays game, and until he improves his fitness, doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Wallabies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If we are picking on form only & anyone who has played 3 or more games this year then I'd make a few changes, my choice in brackets.

1. Robinson-
2. Moore-
3. Baxter-
4. Caldwell-(Mumm)
5. Chisolm-(MMM)
6. Mumm-(Higgingbotham)
7. Smith-
8. Palu-(Richard Brown)
9. Genia-
10. Cooper-(Giteau)
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)- (Hynes)
12. Gits-(Barnes)
13. Morty-(Ioane)
14. Ioane-(Turner)
15. McClinden-

16. Sheperdson-He plays both sides
17. 3M-(TPN)
18. Brown-(Van Humphries)
19. TPN-(Salvi)
20. Barnes-(Burgess)
21. Burgess-(Mortlock)
22. Sheperd/Tuquri-(AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper))

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'm still not convinced that MMM can play lock at scrum time... elsewhere he's a machine.

Will be interesting to see what happens to the Reds when Jimmy is back online

S

Spook

3M is a good part time lock but a much better back row option.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, wouldn't have 3 6's starting with Mumm, MMM and Higginbum. All very good players no doubt, but I reckon Mumm can play lock better than MMM. Probably with Chisolm - and I say this mostly for the scrum then lineout reasons. MMM or Higginbum at 6 - nice choice to have the way they're playing. And there's always that Elsom guy so the depth come Test time is looking better and better.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Weeks must be a chance of getting a game as well.

I still think Horwill and Sharpe will be the first choice locks by the time the Tri Nations rolls on, as I expect Kepu to be back in as he can play both sides.

I think it is easier to pick the squad, the 33 that Deans will pick and stay with.

1. Robinson-Alexander - Kepu (?)
2. Moore-Nau-Frieir(?)
3. Baxter-Weekes
4. Sharpe - Caldwell
5. Horwill - Chisolm
6. Mumm - MMM
7. Smith - Pocock
8. Palu - Richard Brown
9. Genia - Burgess - Valentine
10. Cooper - Giteau
11. Hynes - Turner
12. Barnes -AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Morty - Horne
14. Ioane - Tuqiri
15. Shepherd - Mitchell

S

Spook

McLinden over Turner. Other than that, not bad...although I hope you would fit Giteau in your first XV.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
McLinden over Turner. Other than that, not bad...although I hope you would fit Giteau in your first XV.

both Turner and Hynes are the "worker types"/ "2nd fullback wingers" that do the chasing stuff

McLinden won't get picked as a winger and his kicking game isn't good enough for him to be a test fullback.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Weeks must be a chance of getting a game as well.

I still think Horwill and Sharpe will be the first choice locks by the time the Tri Nations rolls on, as I expect Kepu to be back in as he can play both sides.

I think it is easier to pick the squad, the 33 that Deans will pick and stay with.

1. Robinson-Alexander - Kepu (?)
2. Moore-Nau-Frieir(?)
3. Baxter-Weekes
4. Sharpe - Caldwell
5. Horwill - Chisolm
6. Mumm - MMM
7. Smith - Pocock
8. Palu - Richard Brown
9. Genia - Burgess - Valentine
10. Cooper - Giteau
11. Hynes - Turner
12. Barnes -AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
13. Morty - Horne
14. Ioane - Tuqiri
15. Shepherd - Mitchell
I am reasonably optimistic about the Wallabies this year. If you look at that squad, and add some other worthy names (Higginbotham, Holmes, Shepherdson, Kimlin, Cross, Elsom, Gerrard) then the depth is starting to round out a bit.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Nice list fp, although I wouldn't ever play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I rate him as the 2nd best 13 and one of the best wingers. I'd start him on the wing, or on the bench to cover the outside backs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Nice list fp, although I wouldn't ever play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I rate him as the 2nd best 13 and one of the best wingers. I'd start him on the wing, or on the bench to cover the outside backs.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) played one of his best games for the Wallabies at 12. He has the leg drive

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
He's definitely got the strength and also has enough kicking and passing skills to play 12.

Speaking of talent, when is Staniforth back?

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Scotty said:

If you are happy that he would only be able to play for about 40minutes. He was busted about 5mins after halftime in todays game, and until he improves his fitness, doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the Wallabies.

If Leeroy can get his fitness up to scratch I reckon he will be a better player than Palu will ever be. The kid has serious talent.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Grandmaster Flash said:
Scotty said:

If Leeroy can get his fitness up to scratch I reckon he will be a better player than Palu will ever be. The kid has serious talent.

There is the thing, talent only goes so far, it also takes a bit of dedication.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yes. Houston appears to have the Blake factor in spades...

In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised most people have noted Caldwell's contribution - he's a real grafter, hits hard on attack and defence, and most importantly is an utter fluffybunny on-field which is what you want from a second rower. He doesn't have the brain explosion factor either which is good.

When you compare his aggression and technique (especially at scrum) to Sharpe, its a one-horse race

Status
Not open for further replies.