• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Wallaby side thus far..

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Peter Hynes getting outrun twice by Kankowski has to seriously hurt his chances.

The Reds attack suffered without Houston. His offloading is fantastic, he really has great hands for a forward and terrific balance & power in contact. Fingers crossed he gets his fitness sorted. I'd love to see a Palu-Houston tag team.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
A bit like a Jim Williams-Toutai Kefu setup circa 2000 eh naz? I can see that. Let Palu set up the hard work and Houston finish it off.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
naza said:
Peter Hynes getting outrun twice by Kankowski has to seriously hurt his chances.

I would've had my money on Hynes to get to that kick before Kankow - if he didn't slip. Hynes is deceptively fast, and is faster than Kankow. But really, the ground was wet and choppy and Hynes has no excuse for slipping.

Wonder why backs wear low mouldeds in those conditions. Saw a shot of Tuqiri for the Tahs the night before and it looked like he was wearing 15mm studs - bit of common sense.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Nice list fp, although I wouldn't ever play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 12. I rate him as the 2nd best 13 and one of the best wingers. I'd start him on the wing, or on the bench to cover the outside backs.

I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) performed superbly at 12 against the BaaBaas last year, good enough to run on if need be. He can cover 11-15 from the bench.

F

formeropenside

Ash said:
naza said:

I would've had my money on Hynes to get to that kick before Kankow - if he didn't slip. Hynes is deceptively fast, and is faster than Kankow. But really, the ground was wet and choppy and Hynes has no excuse for slipping.

Wonder why backs wear low mouldeds in those conditions. Saw a shot of Tuqiri for the Tahs the night before and it looked like he was wearing 15mm studs - bit of common sense.

I thought Hynes got knocked on the feet and accidentally tripped by Kankowski, otherwise I think Hynes would have won the race. And I must have missed the other time that Kankowski beat him in a footrace.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
formeropenside said:
And I must have missed the other time that Kankowski beat him in a footrace.

Kankow grubbered it through at pace and Hynes had to turn, giving Kankow a few metres head start before Hynes could even try to get near full pace. Ioane ended up covering, and fought his way from just in goal back into play. No winger in world rugby would've caught Kankow in the same position, I think. Once he hits top speed, Hynes is actually one of the faster wingers in Aus.

F

formeropenside

On Hynes - does anyone else remember that beautiful cross-field kick return run and long flat pass to Barnes, who put through a perfect kick into the corner late in the first half?

That was fantastic play all around.

Hynes can definately pass at speed - I just recalled too his long pass to Tuqiri in space in a test last year after a weaving run.

S

Spook

Do you think Hynes is in danger of losing his Wallaby position? :nta:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spook said:
Shouldn't be - has really done nothing wrong. Has to be considered in the top 3 wingers in the country easily.

S

Spook

cyclopath said:
Spook said:
Shouldn't be - has really done nothing wrong. Has to be considered in the top 3 wingers in the country easily.

There is a lot of competition for the wing spots ... will be interesting to see. I like Hynes, he's a team player for sure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
not a chance. I think the two incumbent wingers have done everything required to retain their spots. Its now up to the likes of Mitchell, Lote, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Shepherd to prove they are better players. They haven't yet.

S

Spook

Noddy said:
not a chance. I think the two incumbent wingers have done everything required to retain their spots. Its now up to the likes of Mitchell, Lote, Turner, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Shepherd to prove they are better players. They haven't yet.

I think some of those guys have proved they are better players over their careers but we shall see... 8)

T

TOCC

Hynes is 100% more involved then any of those other wingers at the moment, he is gettting turnovers off kickoffs, he is beatiful in counter attack and his defence is superb.
Some of those other players may have more potential, but unless you are practicsing those things and doing them in games you will never get good at them..

F

formeropenside

I'm not sure that Tuqiri has ever delivered what he has promised. He's big and quick, yes, but against top-shelf opposition, he's not big enough to make up for not being really speedy, and too limited in other ways to overcome a pretty one-dimensional game.

Hell, if Ioane can make the improvements he has made over the last 12 months, why cant Lote have improved a similar amount over the last 5 years?

S

Spook

I don't think Hynes had a great international season last year. Shane Williams made him look pretty average but Tequila came on and bottled Williams up.

Ioane is a freak. 190kg bench press? :eek: Now developing a passing and offload game. A genuine game breaker.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
He's definitely got the strength and also has enough kicking and passing skills to play 12.

Speaking of talent, when is Staniforth back?

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is definitely an option at 12. For mine, his game at 12 against the Barbarians was a better display than any of his games at either 15 or 13.

Staniforth is fit but not being picked in the match day squad. He was the player rep who approached the board at the Force about Mitchell when the Wallabies were away. Payback?

T

TOCC

i bet Robbie Deans is glad he doesnt have to pick the wallabies on the form from this weekend

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yep - there is playing yourself into form and there is playing yourself right out of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.