• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

My Wallaby side thus far..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
As ever the Aussie fullback slot doesn't seem to be picking itself.

Without having seen the Lions debacle, I though Gerrard had been having a stormer so far this season. Less the slow winger, more the well positioned 15 with a booming boot. I reckoned he must be in line for a look in

Until I saw O'Connor at 15 for the Force vs Sharks. Damn that kid is good. Time on the ball, great step, varies his return options. I thought he outshone Gits. Even better performance to the accomplished one he gave vs the BaaBass last year.

If Gerrard's gonna stay in the international shithouse, then surely you've got to run O'Connor?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah the fullback is still a tricky one. But jeez I'd have Lachie Turner in my back three somewhere

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddy said:
NTA said:
But jeez I'd have Lachie Turner in my back three somewhere

enough with the euphemisms. Keep it clean.

;D

NTA said:
Yeah the fullback is still a tricky one. But jeez I'd have Lachie Turner in my back three somewhere

Agree on his kick return ability this year, but O'Connor definitely more the playmaker and isn't the rumour that's what AntipoDeans looks for in a 15?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NTA said:
Yeah the fullback is still a tricky one. But jeez I'd have Lachie Turner in my back three somewhere.

I would too (have him at 11, 14 or 15 that is, not the other ;D) if only he could kick. At the moment he couldn't kick a cat off a verandah. If he spent a few hours a week with the Swans fixing up his kicking technique he'd have the makings of a good fullback.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
NTA said:
Yeah the fullback is still a tricky one. But jeez I'd have Lachie Turner in my back three somewhere.

I would too (have him at 11, 14 or 15 that is, not the other ;D) if only he could kick. At the moment he couldn't kick a cat off a verandah. If he spent a few hours a week with the Swans fixing up his kicking technique he'd have the makings of a good fullback.

I think I've seen him with decent distance, just random direction?

S

Spook

I think Gerrard is going to be lost overseas if he doesn't make the Wallabies squad. He isn't being petulant about it but just facing the facts - is he or is he not part of Dingoes plans. Shame to lose blokes like him and Sam Hyphen.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Spook said:
I think Gerrard is going to be lost overseas if he doesn't make the Wallabies squad. He isn't being petulant about it but just facing the facts - is he or is he not part of Dingoes plans. Shame to lose blokes like him and Sam Hyphen.

I raised the question of Gerrard on Ruggamatrix after he'd had a few good S14 games this year and the best Link could come up with was that Gerrard might still have dodgy hammy questionmark over his head. Tahu shouldn't be allowed on the field if this was fair!!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Gerrard is too slow and defensively frail to be a first choice 15.

That said I would play him in the mud and shit of November touring.

S

Spook

fatprop said:

I reckon he'd be a much sort after in Europe. Kicking game is highly valued there due to this shitty weather.

I haven't seen him miss too many tackles for a few years. Are you talking about his positioning?

He is a playmaker as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:

I reckon he'd be a much sort after in Europe. Kicking game is highly valued there due to this shitty weather.

I haven't seen him miss too many tackles for a few years. Are you talking about his positioning?

He is a playmaker as well.

Gerrard relies on his anticipation in defense because he can't turn or accelerate.

So unless he stops it before it starts he generally loses. Like most good "footballers" he reads the game very well and can work as a playmaker as he loses pace.

What he can't/doesn't do the work off the ball Deans requires. He rarely chases his kicks and rarely puts himself into support positions that require great effort.

Have a look at the work off the ball Leon McDonald in particular and the whole Crusaders team did against the Tahs, in Aus terms how Staniforth and Hynes work for the team. I can't see Gerrrard working like that.

S

Spook

Agree with the acceleration bit. I think he's a good support player though and I think he works pretty hard around the pitch. Takes a lot of responsibility on his shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.