• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
There is a Buchanan playing second row for Qld Uni who goes alright. A brother perhaps?

Re the 2006 merit team, two of them, O'Connor and To'omua, have gone on to become Wallabies, and O'Connor was selected as a 12 in that side.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
So the final will be between NSW Schools and QLD Reds. Reds convincingly won over Sydney and NSW dominated possession over QLD white but only came away with a 15 to 5 win. NSW will need to up their level IMO to run with the reds who have looked slick all week. The reds seemed to have an overlap on both sides of the field against Sydney today.

Number 4, Josh Schwagger played a solid game for NSW. They are creating enough opportunities to put away any team, just need to hang onto the ball!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The reds seemed to have an overlap on both sides of the field against Sydney today.

They looked like they had more players on the field - hey maybe they did. Clearly the best team of the week and NSW 2nd best. More later after I walk the dogs, have dinner, drink the red wine and fall asleep.

spectator

The only other [Merit List apart from 2006] I have is 2007. Hooper, Kingston and Luke Jones have played Super rugby and PAE has a full contract. I think Hunt got on the park for the Force also.

I thought I had the 2008 list but I don't. I only know that Gill was the Player of the Championship.

That thing about Gill is (gasp) wrong - though it's more than likely that Gill was the best player in the championship.

I asked an ARU guy at Riverview today about the Merit team. He said the ARU took over the tournament about 10 years ago and they selected Merit teams in a couple of years (which much have been 2006 and 2007).

He said it became a bit elitist and people thought selection in the team would give the boys in it a head start for rep football the following year. Probably for that reason the guys who selected it had so many unsavoury approaches from people, including coaches, to have this boy and that boy picked, that they decided to drop it.

What was started to be a positive for the boys became a negative.

Grown ups. :mad:

R

rugby_man

I've always thought QLD Red have looked the best side in these Under 16 Championships and maybe they are, but NSW Schools seem to lift a notch when they play each other. You only have to look at the amount of Under 16 championships NSW has won to back up my statement. Although to be fair, NSW best players are divided into two teams, NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors as they are different unions. QLD just pick their best 23 and second best 23 and that makes the QLD Red and QLD White sides.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
spectator

That thing about Gill is (gasp) wrong - though it's more than likely that Gill was the best player in the championship.

I asked an ARU guy at Riverview today about the Merit team. He said the ARU took over the tournament about 10 years ago and they selected Merit teams in a couple of years (which much have been 2006 and 2007).

He said it became a bit elitist and people thought selection in the team would give the boys in it a head start for rep football the following year. Probably for that reason the guys who selected it had so many unsavoury approaches from people, including coaches, to have this boy and that boy picked, that they decided to drop it.

What was started to be a positive for the boys became a negative.

Grown ups. :mad:

The thing about Gill is spot on, I was there and saw him take the podium.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - I thought I read it somewhere.

But to your knowledge did they name a Merit Team or just the Player of the Championship?

T

truckandtrailor

I've always thought QLD Red have looked the best side in these Under 16 Championships and maybe they are, but NSW Schools seem to lift a notch when they play each other. You only have to look at the amount of Under 16 championships NSW has won to back up my statement. Although to be fair, NSW best players are divided into two teams, NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors as they are different unions. QLD just pick their best 23 and second best 23 and that makes the QLD Red and QLD White sides.

Really? Come on we can't use that excuse! Lets be honest Sydney Juniors is like a NSW 2 and NSW Country is generally a NSW 3.

Bill McLean (32)
NSW Country = NSW 3's; sorry but I have to disagree!

Really? Come on we can't use that excuse! Lets be honest Sydney Juniors is like a NSW 2 and NSW Country is generally a NSW 3.

TaT,

With all due respect Country have several great players who would easily make a NSW (all inclusive) team. Tulloch, Andrews, Papworth to name a few. I would hardly call these players NSW 3rd's!

Their inclusion in the NSW Country team I would dare say was not a personal choice for those mentioned above!

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
A player to watch in the Final!

Here is a bold prediction for you all; Duncan Paai’aua (QLD Red) to play a ‘Man of the Match’ game to hand the ‘Cane Toads’ the Championship!

For those who have been watching carefully this week, this ‘Pocket Rockhampton Rocket’ is a sniper who is in a class of his own. And to those who do not wander over to the ‘Dark Side’ young Paai’aua is like Moeroa, a dual representative (in league and rugby) this year.

In fact Tepai and Duncan faced off at ‘State of Origin 1’ earlier this year at Suncorp Stadium. He is a complete player and is solid in both attack and defence! He also made the ‘Australian U/15 Rugby League’ merit team last year, which as I have previously stated, is no mean feat!

Regards,
Newbie.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
I have also been impressed by the play of Jack Tuttle from the Reds team. He has caught the eye on many occasions with great running and positional play.

It does look like QLD have an edge based on what I have seen this tournament but i also think NSW haven't given all that they could and maybe they can deliver in the final game!

Bill McLean (32)
... I also think NSW haven't given all that they could and maybe they can deliver in the final game!

LT,

Your previous summation about NSW's key problem being its inability to stop tries being scored against them, is IMO, going to be their downfall!

Admittedly NSW have a star studded back-line (and not a bad forward pack) and no doubt some of these boys are well on their way to senior representative honours, nevertheless I have not been impressed with their cohesiveness! Hearing Kellaway screaming at the back the other day was so justified!

Lets face it NSW are a team of individual champions, however QLD have proved themselves to be a champion team; as the old adage states ... "a champion team will always beat a team of champions any day".

And for the record I am no QLD supporter. IMO someone should take a hack-saw and cut our borders with the 'banana bending heathen red-necks' and cast that state out to sea! Needless to say I will be bringing my Rosary Beads tomorrow (look for me ... i'll be the bloke on his knees saying Hail Marys and Our Fathers for a NSW victory ... lmao!!!

Regards,
Newbie.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
WA 9 NSW Country 3

Not a great game; neither side played well with or against the strong wind; so it was difficult for the players to shine. the highlight was a penalty kick by Country from 48 metres out near the end of the game which was scarcely ever much higher than the crossbar, skidded off it and went over for Country to clinch the win.

Victoria 36 Brumbies 7

This was a much higher standard game from the start and it's a pity that rain came in the 2nd half as a bit of ball got spilt. The Vic boys were dynamic and one thought the Rebels stable will be chock a block in a few years time. The Brumbies lads were outclassed but winger Rogoyawa caught his direct opponent napping once and went over for a top try.

For Victoria 2. Barber is not that big but was a goer and had good leg drive when stopped and 3. Bridgford was like a wrecking ball at the breakdown. 10. Toeta had an amazing all-round game and his 2nd try was a fine stepping effort that defeated 3 young Brumbies. Watch out for wingers Valetini and Seeto in the Opens next year – not good footie players yet but full of power and venom.

Qld Reds 41 Sydney Juniors 14

It's a compliment to the Reds to say that the Juniors played quite well - but they were outclassed but for a fine period before oranges. It was hard to realise that the Reds were an U/16 team and not an Opens side because they had power and class everywhere, and size where it mattered. As I mentioned in an earlier post: it was like they had a couple of extra players on the park.

It was hard to assess the individual Juniors because the team had to put out a lot of fires, but 12. Redden and 15. Jones had some good runs.

The Reds forwards played like a real pack and their pick and go was hard to stop. Their front row was excellent with 1. Pleash like a backrower sometimes but good in the tight; hooker Manu had good leg drive and knew what to do against defenders near their goal line. As for 3. Sikimeti: sometimes I thought I was watching PAE. 6. Wilkin, playing on the openside however, had a top non-stop game and was in everything that was going.

10. Paai'aua, whose name the ground announcer had a bit of trouble with, had another top game. He's a good runner and that made his pass all the more effective. 12. Tuttle had a quieter game than on Tuesday but he did a few things that indicated his class. Once he dodged and then side-stepped – and this whilst the ball was being passed to him. It's the kind of thing that BOD does and Horan did. No wonder he made a break. Watch this space (again).

13. Corcoran is a rawboned lad that is hard to stop. He backs himself and will be better still when he can give the golden ball. 15. Placid was anything but, scored a couple of tries and looks like another excellent product from the Queensland outside backs factory.

NSW Schools 15 Qld White 5

There wasn't a lot in this game. NSW had better players but the Whites were a better team, so much so that it's hard to nominate a Whites player except for the excellent 7 Bougoure. This young fellow was like an NFL man in motion all the time and he popped up everywhere on attack and defence.

The Whites had a horrible time with lineouts in the wind and when they threw the ball in straight (not often enough) it was often stolen.

For NSW 4. Schwager had an outstanding running game and sometimes looked like Sharpie on the rampage. He was well supported by the excellent 8.Vasilis who followed him everywhere and was arguably the best lineout man of the day including stealing the ball a few times.

10. Deegan scored an excellent try early with an outrageous dummy and kicked well in the wind, and 12 Milne had the best game I have seen him play. Nearly every time he got the ball he caused trouble and because he did he made it better for 13. Moeroa who played well also. It will be good to see this midfield against the Reds boys.

15. Kellaway showed his class again but probably bombed a try by passing too late,

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
A merit team in both years.

Gill was 2008; so when you mention "both years" I assume you mean 2007 as well, when Hooper got the gong. 2006 was in Sydney.

So the ARU guy's memory was wrong. The Merit Team was selected for 3 years, not 2. The 2006 and 2007 team is on the net, but not the 2008 team. If anybody can find the 2008 team on the net or can somehow get a copy of it, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.