• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Having seen Day 2 but not Day 1, I agree with the comments of others. Since the game times were staggered on the 2 fields, as always, and wanting to see a bit of all matches, it wasn't possible to watch much more than half a game at a time, but you could get the vibe of all of them. Another thing was the influence of the strong wind. Players who dealt with it the best looked better than what they normally would - and vice-versa.

That's why it's hard to assess the players with any confidence.

The surprise for me was NSW Country, who gave themselves every chance to beat Sydney Juniors after a disappointing themselves against the Qld Reds the day before by all accounts. They were well down at oranges but made a stirring comeback and could have won with a bit of luck. Sydney's team work was not strong but they had some good players. The hype about 15. Harry Jones looks well-founded. He had some slashing runs whilst 8. Malaki Afele's runs were more bullocking efforts. Country THP McLean is a real goer and 10. Andrews was a steady organiser. I believe that 5 or 6 of the Country lads were selected in a state side, and you can see why.

Qld Whites used the wind well in the 1st half and were 17-6 ahead of the Brumbies at oranges and held onto the lead afterwards to win 22-6. Looks like I saw the best half. Of all the teams the Whites had fewest problems with long passes in the breeze. Their no.8, announced as Georgio when he scored a try (though listed as Hood in the programme) had a top game and had several good runs. Third (playing fullback wearing the 10 jersey) was also very good, as was winger West who scored a terrific try after a series of good passes in the wind and a grand kick and chase. The Brumbies had several good players in a lesser team and speedy winger Rogoyawa looked dangerous every time he had the ball.

Qld Reds looked the class act of the day but WA refused to go away. The Reds just had these little bursts that piled on points of a sudden then play would settle down to parity. I was looking forward to seeing 12. Jack Tuttle play again, (his younger brother, James, was scrummie for the Whites). Last year I had noted "a whiff of Horne" against his name in the programme and it was much the same yesterday. He's more rangy looking than last year and you can foresee that this lad will be in the Reds Super stable when he leaves school.

He wasn't the only good player in the team though. Bruiser THP Sikimeti was a powerhouse as was the huge reserve prop Anae, who did not help his team, however, by getting a card for stamping. 5. Korczyk linked like a backrower and looks like a future lineout 6 when he leaves school. 6. Wilkin also linked well and quick 10. Paai'aua (try typing that fast 10 times) was hard to handle as a runner. All the outside backs looked dangerous when they got a chance; so we will watch this space on them later in the week.

NSW Schools looked like a handy team though not as good as the Reds. Beating Victoria 19-8 does not look conclusive on paper but the Vics are a good side with some top players such as energiser bunny 7. Kennedy, rampaging 8. Sa'aga and dangerous 13. Tanuvasa.

NSW were 7-5 ahead (I think) at oranges and with the wind had all the territory in the 2nd half, but the Vics did their state well defending in the wrong real estate. You can see why some of the Joeys boys were playing in the Ones this year. 4. Schwager had some good runs and Deegan tackled like a demon. Deegs even looks small at this level so you can see why we worried about his survival in the Ones. He played well but he has to work on getting his passes crispier as they floated in the breeze.

12. Milne made some nice breaks but spoiled a couple with a bad pass and a silly chip. The fellow who took my eye though was 13.Moeroa, who I hadn't seen before. He's a hard runner, who defenders seem to give space to, and he scored a good individual try. As expected 15. Kellaway, who played wing for NSW IIs in the Opens this year, showed his class at this level. Watch this space.

There's some good lads there this week. Last year I said there were a lot of good 8s that will emerge and you could say the same about this year too. As usual there are many good outside backs running around looking exciting on attack but you can't really judge their defensive work or playing off the ball at this age.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
For folks who don't know, MOTH is talking about a theoretical side unless there is a new game after the tournament that I don't know about.

I didn't see Day 1 and saw only half of most games in Day 2 but the vibe I get is that you should pick those Sydney Juniors who are good enough to get into the NSW Schools team since Schools appear to have better players in a majority of positions. Looking at some of the lads for such a short time though is not long enough to be confident about that staement.

Folks were talking about Tulloch earlier in the thread. Is he injured or was he not selected?

D

Dingdong

Overview of day 2 games.

Sydney did the same thing as the previous city country game, had a reasonable lead and then capitulated. Malaki I think scored 2 and had a good game. It could have gone either way with country leading by 1 with about 5 mins to go.

Qld white were always going to win over the Brumbies but they never looked overly convincing. Their Number 8 had a storming game and made a number of line breaks, looked like Malaki in a white jumper.

NSW Schools were always going to win over Victoria, but they looked like they left there energy in the sheds. Victoria were up for it and did a good job. In the first half I thought Schools number 9 ran a bit too much and took space away from the backline. Schools number 12 had a shocker compared to his efforts yesterday. There were many opportunities for quick short ball but they threw long balls instead and it wasn't the way today.

Qld Red look the goods and NSW will need to step up tomorrow to beat QLD White making a Red V's NSW Schools final.

Spot on again LT. NSW Country must now take that committment in to their next game against WA to be any chance of winning. Schools had most of the ball and better field position in the first half against a very strong wind and went to the break in front ( poor options and poor passing out wide cost 2 tries). I thought the structure went out the window in the second half. With the wind and a clearly fatigued Victoria, schools seemed to loose their way. 2 certain tries went begging, poor passing to blame for 1, the other Delore loosing his footing. . Qld White improved isecond time around, they'll be hard to beat . Schools will have to improve at the breakdown and around the fringes with their defense. I think schools would be a whole lot better off with AK (Andrew Kellaway) at O/C , Tepai at 12 and Cochrane at 15.

QLD Red are the benchmark at this tournament and I believe Schools are the only other team "with the cattle" to beat them, provided the coaches get it right.

D

Dingdong

For folks who don't know, MOTH is talking about a theoretical side unless there is a new game after the tournament that I don't know about.

I didn't see Day 1 and saw only half of most games in Day 2 but the vibe I get is that you should pick those Sydney Juniors who are good enough to get into the NSW Schools team since Schools appear to have better players in a majority of positions. Looking at some of the lads for such a short time though is not long enough to be confident about that staement.

Folks were talking about Tulloch earlier in the thread. Is he injured or was he not selected?

Tulloch is being played out of position for NSW Country at fullback (god knows why). He had a very good game yesterday along with Jackson McClean, Nick Andrews , Ackerman and Luke Papworth who was best on ground IMO.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - I didn't spot the name and didn't know he was a country lad. Forgot to mention 8. Papworth from Country. Top game. He was one of the 8s of the day that I was thinking about in my earlier post.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree that there are lot of good number 8's on show. One thing that I have noticed, particularly with the NSW Schools team is the turn over work being done by 8, Anthony Vassilis and 6, Lachlann Taylor. I have counted at least 10 strips or tackle turn overs between the two of them. Anthony may not have the bustling runs that a Malaki has but these guys do a different job.

I also agree with Lee that Luke Papworth played very well yesterday, the polar opposite to the Luke Papworth who played in the first game.

I thought Deegan was great in defence yesterday and got the ball out reasonably well, Schools passing fell apart in the outside backs causing Kellaway to voice his opinion about all the long balls. They have more than enough skill in that team without trying to cut out 4 people every time.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)

Not too theoretical; NSWJRU Vs Qld 1 Oct.

For the ACT game played mid September, NSWJRU fielded U15 & U17 - while SJRU provided the U16 competition. Don't think they will do that for the reds game. My read says any player from SJRU or CJRU will be eligible for selection, as will schools players who play club rugby - aim being strongest possible team - not some politically correct camel.

D

Dingdong

Not too theoretical; NSWJRU Vs Qld 1 Oct.

For the ACT game played mid September, NSWJRU fielded U15 & U17 - while SJRU provided the U16 competition. Don't think they will do that for the reds game. My read says any player from SJRU or CJRU will be eligible for selection, as will schools players who play club rugby - aim being strongest possible team - not some politically correct camel.

MOTH, believe it or not.......... this team has already been selected.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Sorry - I thought you meant a combined team including NSW Schools.

I’m guessing that a few of the of the School boys are eligible - the famous (but sometimes contentious) A Kellaway to name one.

Sad to hear that the selectors aren’t watching the boys with an eye open for the reds game! Does anyone know where it’s posted?

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
NSW Juniors U16s

Name Club
Brenton Ackerman NSW Country
Malaki Afele Sydney
Nick Andrews NSW Country
Jamieson Clark Sydney
Adrien Delore NSW Country
Sam Heffren NSW Country
Harry Jones Sydney
Christian Kagiassis Sydney
Andrew Kellaway Sydney, Hunters Hill
Nicholas Koutsoukis Sydney
Shaun Lawrie NSW Country
Jack McCalman Sydney
Jackson McLean NSW Country
Jarrod Matairavula Sydney
Matthew Matson Sydney
Tepai Moeroa Sydney
David Morris Sydney
Cameron Orr Sydney
Luke Papworth NSW Country
Jack Redden Sydney
Mitchell Short Sydney
Harrison Williams Sydney
Jordan Winterburn Sydney
Trent Winterstein Sydney

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
thanks for that - can anyone tag the nsw schools players on this? & wasn't Winterstein or Winterburn a late selection and only after someone else had to drop out? Someone could have egg on their face for that one!

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
From the team listed above, Jarrod, Cameron and Trent are all injured at this point.

The guys playing from the schools team are Kellaway, Delore and Moeroa.

The others eligible from Schools would be Lachlann Taylor, Anthony Vassilis, Peter Maa, that's it as far as I know as they all played for Sydney Barbarians.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
They used to in the past and you can get some by googling, but I haven't seen a list on the Merit U/16 teams since Hooper, and then Gill, were in the Merit team and were singled out as the player of the respective tournaments.

Maybe they have a still have a Merit Team selection but haven't let anybody know, outside of attendees at the function at the end of the tournament.

If that is the case and anybody finds out please post the list.
I have had a personal interest in this comp in the past and the only Merit team that I can dredge up from the internet is the 2006 one and interestingly four backs have gone on to play S14, and two forwards have featured somewhere in S15 calculations. Not a huge strike rate, I wonder how the success rate is in other years?

Have no idea about the 2011 cattle but it seems from the reports I am reading that Qld junior rugby remains the powerhouse.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The only other one I have is 2007. Hooper, Kingston and Luke Jones have played Super rugby and PAE has a full contract. I think Hunt got on the park for the Force also.

I saw Nick Buchanan in the Opens the following year and thought the tall timber would do well but, being the son of the Oz cricket coach at the time, he went to cricket.

I thought I had the 2008 list but I don't. I only know that Gill was the Player of the Championship.

J

Jamos Mum

SAD NEWS!!! Jarrod Matairavula's Mum Donna Matairavula passed away Suddenly.

Jarrod Matairavula is one of the most outstanding players in the 16's age group and his Mum Donna was a major part of Jarrod’s rugby success.

Unfortunately Jarrod's Mum, Donna Matairavula passed away suddenly on Saturday.
Donnas’ funeral will be held this Thursday the 29th of September (TOMORROW) at 12pm in the West wing Pinegrove Crematorium Minchinbury.♥

On the behalf of the family it would be much appreciated
if you can make a small donation rather than sending flowers ♥
( let me know if you want to make a donation and I can collect it from the Nationals on Thursday or Friday and I will pass it onto Jarrod’s family or contact Neil (Richo) from Parramatta 2Blues)

Cheers Cathy Clark
(Jamo Clarks Mum)XXX
I know this is supposed to be an anonymous forum BUT his is too important to hide away from.

Status
Not open for further replies.