• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be a shame for the fellow to miss out due to injury.

SJRU grand finals are over, ISA and CAS finished two or three weeks ago. GPS have one round left.

The scope for further injuries (GPS excluded) will be limited to training and trial games for NSW Schools and SJRU.

How much longer do QLD Schools and Club footy competitions have to go?

Same for ACT, VIC NSW Cnty, and WA?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NSW Country have had Gold Coast tournament and trial game against Sydney JRU.

SJRU have trials against NSW Country (won by SJRU) and ACT JRU (16 Sep).

ACT JRU have played a trial against Vic JRU. No score reported - anyone?

Any idea if NSW Schools have any trials planned?

Will Qld Reds and Whites be playing any trial games?

Any detail on other trials and results?

Not forgetting the Div 2 teams - trials, results, injuries, finalised team lists?

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Country major semi s this weekend and Grandfinal on 15th September. Bit tough for the kids from country in the NSW team backing up again on Sunday...

Bill McLean (32)
A PREDICTION!

Watch out for a lad called Jordan Loto'aniu (SJRU). Gun player!

He is a 'Dual Coder' however it is my understanding that he stopped playing league and concentrated on Rugby once his stint with the Bulldogs HM team ended in May!

Had a great season for the Doggies this year in the HM Cup. I am looking for him to shine!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Im a late comer to this thread because someone knowns someone who's playing adn expected me to know all about it: I gather the structure of this comp is that there are both school sourced teams and club sourced teams?
Who has first call on a player who is playing both school and club?

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Im a late comer to this thread because someone knowns someone who's playing adn expected me to know all about it: I gather the structure of this comp is that there are both school sourced teams and club sourced teams?
Who has first call on a player who is playing both school and club?

IS, it will assist to have regard to HJ's and Jasdec's exchange at posts #33 to #36, George Smith at #38 & 10to12 at #40 above, as to how selections of NSW schools/Sydney Juniors occurred this year.

More intrigue than a papal ballot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While I praise the QLD system of lumping all the kids into one pool of 100+ for trials over several weekends which eventually results in a QLD Reds (I's) and QLD Whites (II's) team which is selected independently by Reds and ARU selectors, one of my snouts north of the border is critical of the process claiming bias towards certain Schools associations.

Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I like Vanuatu Chiefs comparison, but think in doing so he has understated the shenanagans and behind the scenes manoeuvring that goes on. Until there is proper structural reform in NSW Rugby across the board, this silliness will continue.

The player who is genuinely playing both Club and School, has zero say in which association he ends up in.

Some players doing School only, but are eligible for Juniors by loophole, also have zero say in which association they end up being selected for. By my count approximately 1/3 of the boys in the U16 regionals for the SJRU team were there due to the NSW JRU State Championships loophole.

There are a couple of absolute rock stars who get quarantined by one or other association, mainly Schools.

Even if Mother Therese, Ban Kee Moon, and Bruce Springsteen were selecting the teams there would be claims of bias.

Essentially the best kids from the Metro area have more or less ended up in either SJRU or NSW Schools this year (as they do most years), and the teams are relatively equal (not always the case). I will probably be proven wrong, but IMHO this cohort is particularly strong and all will be revealed on October 5 when NSW Schools play SJRU in the Final of the National Under 16 Championship at Riverview.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
While I praise the QLD system of lumping all the kids into one pool of 100+ for trials over several weekends which eventually results in a QLD Reds (I's) and QLD Whites (II's) team which is selected independently by Reds and ARU selectors, one of my snouts north of the border is critical of the process claiming bias towards certain Schools associations.

Guess you can't please all of the people all of the time.

The QLD u16 trial and selection system has seemed to work okay and carried a lot more transparency in previous years. All players would attend trials and take part in skills sessions as well as trial games over around three Sundays in August(usually). While there were some excusals for injury and other rep duties (mainly u15 State School Champs), it was all in for every player to trial.

However, there was a major shakeup in the timing of the GPS Rugby season in 2012. All other associations maintained the status quo, but GPS moved their season from April to July (across term two and first three weeks of term three) to July to September (all of term three).

This meant that the GPS competition was the only school competition continuing during the trial period. Coaching staff (First XV) of many of the GPS schools may have requested that full contact time be limited for the GPS players as they were recovering from prior day games. From what I heard, the first trial this year then became a skills session only for the GPS players and the non GPS players may have played a trial game.

By the last round of selection trials the whole game changed with notification of a change of procedure for trials and selection. Instead of the 100+ shortlisted for selection trialling against each other in a set of controlled match ups, the selectors went and watched some of the GPS games or requested videos of games they could not attend, from the schools. The non GPS school players were the only ones in the 100+ squad requested to turn up and trial. From that, the selections for the two teams were made. So in many cases there was no head to head trial matchups. These changes did remove some transparency in the selection process.

The other advantage that the GPS school players probably had is that they were competing in tough competition during the trial period. As the other school associations had mostly completed their comps a couple of months before, it could be reasoned that the condition of some of those non GPS players may have deteriorated from their peak when they were playing other schools week to week. I know a lot of the non GPS players were still competing at club level, but in my opinion, this is a long way from the intensity of most school association competitions.

So what occurred with school association selection (although Downlands is played in most of the GPS byes, I have classified as "other schools" and not included as a GPS school)? Out of the 100+ "shortlist" around 51% were from the GPS assoc. and 24% from AIC and 24% from all other schools. Of the 46 selected for the Red and White teams, over 67% were from GPS schools, only 13% from AIC schools and 20% from all other schools.

Now I know every year group is different, but when compared to the two Qld team selections for the National Schools Champs in July, the breakup is very similar with 72% from GPS, 13% from AIC and 15% from other schools.

So it is probably not the actual number selected that should give reason for non GPS school supporters to feel "aggreived". It is the transparency of the selection process that got "lost" this year. It will be interesting if Qld u16 trials are now brought forward to the July holiday period and provide a full trial process and also a longer lead in for the teams to train before the actual competition.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Is it true that NSW Schools have 2 players injured for the National U16s Champs? How many other teams have 'first pick' players out?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
7.5 Declaration of Team

All participating teams shall declare their Championship squads to the Championship Administrator on the Championship Team Registration Form (Appendix 4) by Friday 7th September 2012.

According to the Competition manual (extract above), Final team lists were due to ARU last Friday.

As of last Friday, some Club Comps and GPS in Sydney and Brisbane still had games to play, although most seem to wrap up this weekend.

Also SJRU and ACT have a trial on this weekend (Sunday).

Injuries and some consequential fine tuning to squads would not be entirely unexpected.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I hear that NSW SCHOOLS team have their hooker Hozea Fotokuva and their outside back Henry Hutchinson out for the tournament. Hozea was always going to be challenged by Jono Bourke (Kings 1st XV hooker) for the starting role but Henry was one of the U15 lads who will be sorely missed.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Sydney 36 d ACT 0
[sunny 21 deg with some wind]
Foreshaw Park: Crowd: 260

ACT was very much disadvantaged today when their buses arrived late (11.30am) and even with a 30min delay the 15s had only 20min to change and run on! The 16s had over an hour but were outclassed across the paddock. Sydney scored 6 tries some of which were well executed by the backs while others were very soft. Forwards started to show their defence was solid and some patterns started to emerge even as players were substituted.

Sydney team started with a different XV to that which ran on in Bathurst against Country. As there were no programs or team lists available has made it difficult to substantiate this observation.

Game for both teams no doubt proved a good 'run' for those players who haven't had a run for over a month.

Bill McLean (32)
I realise it is a Sunday however it is a sad state of affairs when someone in the SJRU and NSWJRU cannot post today's results!

Adding to the dismay are George Smith's remarks that there were no programs or team lists available. As a parent myself such items are a record of a lad's high achievement and should be treated a gold!

:(:(:(

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I hear that NSW SCHOOLS team have their hooker Hozea Fotokuva and their outside back Henry Hutchinson out for the tournament. Hozea was always going to be challenged by Jono Bourke (Kings 1st XV hooker) for the starting role but Henry was one of the U15 lads who will be sorely missed.
Hosea Knee, Henry back. Both will play at Riverview.

Status
Not open for further replies.