• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National U/16 Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
I realise it is a Sunday however it is a sad state of affairs when someone in the SJRU and NSWJRU cannot post today's results!

Adding to the dismay are George Smith's remarks that there were no programs or team lists available. As a parent myself such items are a record of a lad's high achievement and should be treated a gold!

:(:(:(
Very disappointing Newbie. There is no trace of the NSWJRU Under 15's Team anywhere. A very sad state of affairs.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
NSW U15s (2011)
*starting XV in blue
1. Siona Afa (Central Coast, NSW Country)
2. Sam Cater (Shore, Mosman)
3. Marcus Cutler (Joeys, Harbord, Manly)
4. Jum Woodhill (Shore, Chatswood) - captain
5. Angus Crichton (Scots, Mosman)
6. Nick Burkett (Barker, Chatswood)
7. Conor Menzies (St Ignatius, Mosman)
8. Johnny Walker (Hunter, NSW Country)
9. Harry Emery (Shore, Mosman)
10. Joey Fittock (Far North Coast, NSW Country)
11. Milad Ferris (Hillview, Eastwood)
12. Callum Styles (Central West, NSW Country)
13. Kyle O'Hara (New England, NSW Country)
12. Bill Freeman (St Ingnatius, Mosman)
15. Jack Conen (Sylvania, Southern Districts)
16. Jonathan Burke (Hunter, NSW Country)
17. Mal Ravarava (Blacktown, Eastwood)
18. Evan Pritchard (St Ingnatius, Mosman)
19. James Lough (St Augustines, Chatswood)
20. Jacob Sedgeman (Central West, NSW Country)
21. Ben Crerar (St Augustines, Manly)
22. Nic Clancy (Shore, Mosman)
23. Tierney Glasson (Joeys, Hillview)

Coach: Bill Bell
Manager: Laurie McMartin

Score:
NSW 17 d Qld 5
[NSW: Crerar (1), Walker(1), Crichton(1) tries, Freeman (1 conversion)]
[Qld: No11 Try]

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SA Squad finalised for Nationals

Mike D'APOLLONIO (Burnside)
Elliot ROBBINS (Burnside)
Ciaran SAMBROOK (Burnside)
Angus DUTHY (Burnside)
Alistair LANGFORD (Burnside)
Max MASEFIELD (Brighton)
Mark TANIELU (Southern Suburbs)

Dieter STRAUSS (Southern Suburbs)
Magnus BRETT (Southern Suburbs)
Blake EDMONDS (Southern Suburbs)
Freddy KAMEN (Southern Suburbs)
Will MARSHALLEK (North East Districts)

Josh HAWGOOD (North East Districts)
Kane LADHAMS (North East Districts)
Kurtis WOOLDRIDGE-WRIGHT (Onkaparinga)

Rhys GURD(Onkaparinga)
Joel ASTLE(Onkaparinga)
Riley MATTHEWS (Onkaparinga)
Michael MARSHALL(Onkaparinga)
Estian STRAUSS (Onkaparinga)
Waratini HERBERT(Onkaparinga)
Jayden TIMANU(Onkaparinga)
Jake SANTUCCI (Western Districts Vikings)

Team Manager- Warrick DUTHY
Head Coach- Huw BOWEN
Assistant Coach- Dan NAYLOR

Source: http://www.sarugby.com.au/prog_state.html#U16

WesternKiwi

Bob McCowan (2)
WA Squad Finalised

1)Reginald CHURCHWARD (Kalamunda & Thornlie SHS)
2)Terrell BERRYMAN (Wanneroo & Aranmore CC)
3)Tristan SCHNIEDER (Uni & Mindarie SC)
4)Liam HUSBAND (Joondalup & St Marks)
5) Blake PHILLIPS (Wanneroo & Clarkson CHS)
6)Tevin FERRIS (Mandurah & John Tonkin)
7) Thomas McCRONE (West Subiaco & Wesley College)
8)Ruben BIRCH (Kalamunda & Guilford Grammar)
9)Gus TAYLOR (Wanneroo & Newman College)
10)Joe SIMPKINS (Kalamunda & Darling Range)
11)Joshua BILLINGTON (Kalamunda & Hale)
12)Jacob Kohinga (Kalamunda & Darling Range)
13)Jean-Charl SMITH (Uni & Lake Baptist Joondalup)
14)Ivan WRIGHT (Southern Lions & Thornlie SHS)
15)Isaiah PEDERSEN (Southern Lions & Kelmscott SHS)

16)Eric STEWART (Wanneroo & Kingsway)
17)Thomas SHEMINANT (Nedlands & Christ Church Grammar)
18)Callum FRASER (Joondalup & Guilford Grammar)
19)Filo ROACHE (Kalamunda & Thornlie SHS)
20)Hershelle CLASSEN (West Subiaco & Aranmore CC)
21)Thomas INGRAM (Associates & Hale)
22)Jean-Wilis BRITS (Joondalup & Woodvale SHS)
23)Aden KAMBOROUS (Uni & Hale)

Head Coach: Mark Calverley
Assistant Coach: Gus Martyn
Manager: Craig Fairhall
Physio: Stacey De Rooy

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's an impressive showing from the state schools South of the River. I don't recall Thornlie or Kelmscott having any particular rugby programme for the longest time. Kudos to them and to Kalamunda and the Southern Lions for developing these guys. I'm a little biased though, because I played my junior footy for the Lions before switching to Uni in colts.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I understand that NSW Schools have replaced David Ballantyne (Kings/Penrith) with Brett van Zyl (Knox/Chatswood) for the tournament. Both played No8 at the schools championships (David for GPS U16s Presidents 1XV and Brett for CAS).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not that I know of. NSW Schools never scheduled any and Sydney have had 3.

As reported on Gaggerland Juniors have played Country and ACT. Who is/was #3?

NSW Schools seem to be playing very coy. Plenty of GPS boys in the team, so I am guseeing that they are relying on match fitness from those games. CAS and ISA boys finished some time ago.

I can recall Schools playing Juniors in trial matches in the past. Surprised that this did not happen this year.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Trial#1 was against a Japanese club/school team. The 15s also played same day at Trinity.
Yep, I reckon the CAS/ISA guys will be really under-done. When was their last game, back on Aug-11, 7 weeks before Aust Champs?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Times like that when the boys who are genuinely playing both club and school have an advantage, as opposed to the ghost players who are registered with clubs only to exploit the NSW JRU loophole to be "eligible" for State Championships.

Last games for SJRU was only a couple of weeks ago.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Huge, we are not talking about the Schools team? What has State Champs/eligibility etc got to do with Schools' selection? Or is this just a (very) sore point with you??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Correct. A broken record with me.

The vast majority of the kids at the Knox Carnival for NSW Schools also tried out at NSW JRU State Champs. Almost 1/3 of the kids who were selected for SJRU regionals were "Ghost" players who are not playing regular SJRU games. It is BS to call them a SJRU team.

I have no problem with them representing NSW at U16's, just believe that a model similar to Opens should be used to avoid the hypocracy and petty little masonic games that are played by NSW Schools RU and SJRU, leaving NSW Country as the poor cousin. By law all under 16 year old kids are at school. Not all play regular footy in the SJRU competition.

Simply use independent and impartial (are there such things) selectors to chose a NSW I, NSW II, and the rest go in the pool for a Combined States selection. Queensland manage to follow a model like this.

Some of the ISA and CAS boys in NSW Schools Team who haven't played a school game for 7 weeks before the Nationals (as you pointed out) have managed to maintain their fitness by playing SJRU club footy which finished about two weeks ago. Many may say that the SJRU club standard is lower than School footy, but isn't some footy better than no footy?

Other ISA and CAS boys in NSW Schools have not played a game of footy for a long time.

The ISA and CAS boys in the SJRU team who have landed there by loophole have only played the City v Country, NSW JRU (if selected) v ACT, and the SJRU v Japanese team in the last 7 weeks.

I repeat that the 46 best boys will be at Nationals. They will be supported by the best 23 kids from country. Noting that there are a few country resident lads in Schools instead of Country, and some country lads boarding at city schools in NSW Schools as well. The BS between the associations mitigates against the two ( or 3 ) NSW teams having an integrated approach towards Nationals to give our state the best chance of having the #1 team winning. Confusing, You betcha. Keep it Simple.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Huge, the current 3 team policy suits NSW rugby very well. In Qld, I believe, the Club guys stay out of it and all selections are through the schools. This 'process' happened when club system volunteered to stay out of the process many years ago and they now regret it. Additionally, the Qld system suits the ARU as they get the chance to slot "identified and accelerated" individuals from other sports who may not be up to (rugby) speed yet into a strong comp to test them.

Until we remove some of the layers of junior footy in NSW then we will always get elected officials protecting their domain. Some officials even grow their tentacles such as resurrecting the AJRU!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ I can not like your last paragraph enough.

I'm stuffed if I know how to achieve that. They have forgotten it is about kids, not them.

Newbie nailed it here in the Think Tank Thread
The last time Australia won the Hong Kong sevens was when Campo was at the helm. If i recall correctly his Randwick team mate at the time, Athura Niquila, was the Man of the Tournament!

I digress!

Ultimately I believe you're on the money HJ. For me all the key protagonists are still tuned into 'WII-FM' (pronounced Wee-FM);

What's
In
It
For
Me

Wee-FM indeed! Like the definition of the station. Hate the music that they play.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Correct. A broken record with me.

The vast majority of the kids at the Knox Carnival for NSW Schools also tried out at NSW JRU State Champs. Almost 1/3 of the kids who were selected for SJRU regionals were "Ghost" players who are not playing regular SJRU games. It is BS to call them a SJRU team.

I have no problem with them representing NSW at U16's, just believe that a model similar to Opens should be used to avoid the hypocracy and petty little masonic games that are played by NSW Schools RU and SJRU, leaving NSW Country as the poor cousin. By law all under 16 year old kids are at school. Not all play regular footy in the SJRU competition.

Simply use independent and impartial (are there such things) selectors to chose a NSW I, NSW II, and the rest go in the pool for a Combined States selection. Queensland manage to follow a model like this.

Some of the ISA and CAS boys in NSW Schools Team who haven't played a school game for 7 weeks before the Nationals (as you pointed out) have managed to maintain their fitness by playing SJRU club footy which finished about two weeks ago. Many may say that the SJRU club standard is lower than School footy, but isn't some footy better than no footy?

Other ISA and CAS boys in NSW Schools have not played a game of footy for a long time.

The ISA and CAS boys in the SJRU team who have landed there by loophole have only played the City v Country, NSW JRU (if selected) v ACT, and the SJRU v Japanese team in the last 7 weeks.

I repeat that the 46 best boys will be at Nationals. They will be supported by the best 23 kids from country. Noting that there are a few country resident lads in Schools instead of Country, and some country lads boarding at city schools in NSW Schools as well. The BS between the associations mitigates against the two ( or 3 ) NSW teams having an integrated approach towards Nationals to give our state the best chance of having the #1 team winning. Confusing, You betcha. Keep it Simple.
Very well put HJ... The politics is ridiculous preventing the best possible players sometimes from playing.
Sometimes self importance is put before common sense. Check the program for the many changes!!!!!!!!!!
. Let the ARU select the NSW 1 and 11 teams as they know who is who and what is what. It would surely remove the debacle often witnessed involving the other governing bodies.

Bill McLean (32)
... ... ... ... ... ... Let the ARU select the NSW 1 and 11 teams as they know who is who and what is what. It would surely remove the debacle often witnessed involving the other governing bodies.

Well stated RM!

Nevertheless as many of us already know the ARU has lost sight of the bigger picture (i.e. nurturing the grass roots of the game) so I wouldn't expect them to come riding on in to save the day!

Ultimately IMO our national team is now paying this price, and will continue to do so as the popularity of the Wannbees (or now used-to-bees) continue to wanes (which will be mirrored with revenue losses).

For all the young'uns out there this old fart can remember a time when Australian test rugby crowds were easily accommodated for at Concord oval in Sydney. The Horror-tahs aren't far of this, and I'm wondering how long it will be for a test match to go back to the SFS. I bet the sponsors are a tired of seeing empty seats at the Alliance stadium!

I've digressed again ... ... ... Sorry but it makes me sad TBH :(

Bill McLean (32)
Fuck me! (sorry Lee)

Surely someone from the SJRU or NSWJRU must see the posts in this site! Take the hint guys! Better still if the associations need help (voluntary help even) I'd put my hand up!

It can't continue this way!

Status
Not open for further replies.