• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New NRL 'scandal'

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How could any corporate associate themselves with the Mungo brand.
I cannot think of one club that has not been embroiled in controvery over the past few years.
Unless they start rubbing guys out of the NRL, and have a zero tolerance policy,they will continue to die a death by a thousand cuts.
How many clubs could field a side if they had a no dickheads policy?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
But history has proven that these scandals have no effect. In fact this season has arguably been their most popular, certainly the ratings are through the roof.

I actually think this scandal will disappear faster than most due to the taboo of... well... canine fellatio. They are trying so hard to skirt around the issue that after a day or two they will just stop talking about it. They can't show the photo, they cant refer to it directly, its a non-story. If he belted an old lady or shat on a cop car then this would be run for weeks, despite being arguably less shocking acts.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This
But history has proven that these scandals have no effect.

If we're waiting for league to implode from player scandals, we'll be waiting forever. The Bogans have all got a mate who's done something similar.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yeah, now that you put it like that I must agree, the public do have a short term memory.
added to that, journalists covering the game are nothing more than cheerleaders.
But if I was a corporate there is no way I would tie my brand to these guys.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The bigger question is: wouldn't you be too scared to even do that crap because the dog might confuse it with lunch?

And, why would you even think to do that anyway? How does it go, for example, you're drinking with some team mates, then somehow your thought processes just go to "I'm going to stick my dick in that dog's mouth, that'll be a laugh!".

Just, amazing.

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
But history has proven that these scandals have no effect. In fact this season has arguably been their most popular, certainly the ratings are through the roof.

I actually think this scandal will disappear faster than most due to the taboo of... well... canine fellatio. They are trying so hard to skirt around the issue that after a day or two they will just stop talking about it. They can't show the photo, they cant refer to it directly, its a non-story. If he belted an old lady or shat on a cop car then this would be run for weeks, despite being arguably less shocking acts.

But God bless the internet - everyone will have seen the picture by lunch time tomorrow and the non-league journos will get stuck into it. It comes down to the feeling that the game has poor values and this is pretty strong evidence.

Not to say this will kill the game though...

R

Raptor

i heard the coach say on the radio last night that it was "just a mad monday prank" and it had "got a little out of hand" and i"m sure he regrets it". the coach didnt seem to bothered by the whole thing, it was treated as pretty normal for a leaguie. pretty disgraceful on monaghan's part.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
a prank? I am assuming its a mate's dog? That's the only way it could be a prank right?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
a prank? I am assuming its a mate's dog? That's the only way it could be a prank right?

If you said that in public the shit really would hit the fan.

The non-league journos will not get stuck into this because it's not palatable for the mainstream media, it is seriously fucked.

This won't get much discussion time outside of the "blogosphere".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would like to say I am shocked by this act but to be completely honest having been educated in one of League's most lauded nursuries this sort of act is pretty tame by many of their standards. There is something seriously deficient with these guys when it comes to basic thought and the ability to judge right or wrong, socially acceptable or completely taboo.

Most think they are untouchable bordering on a God complex. Most guys wouldn't associate with them outside of school especially if they had girlfriends as you never knew exactly what would happen and how bad it could get. At my younger brother's grad party there was a major blow up because they couldn't 1) Take 'no' for an answer and 2) Couldn't keep it in their pants. It didn't lead to any sexual assault (intervention before anything could) but a serious brawl did incur.

Unfortunately, this won't see too much daylight and will likely not even sway diehard League fans (they are even joking about it on The Roar). I've grown up in a League stronghold and in a diehard League family (to their credit the is a real effort to better themselves particuarly among the younger members)but am still amazed at the depth of stupidity and ignorance that exist and most frighteningly seem to be increasing.

Reactions: Epi

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
WCR, it seems to be a cultural issue in the game. Not even the stupider AFL blokes over here have been caught with their wangers in dogs mouths. It just boggles the mind really. Now we in Union aren't saints by any stretch, but when was the last time an Australian player was involved in anything as remotely bad as this?

I have many theories and one of them is that there are more than a small number of players in the football codes here who would be robbing banks if they weren't any good at sport. They're young, straight out of school, they get given a huge amount of money (in comparison to others in their cohort) and apart from playing and training have a lot of free time. The temptation must be enormous to get up to stuff that most people wouldn't agree with because they can. Footy players are treated like gods over here and I'm guessing its the same in other places too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It absolutely a cultural thing. My old man was signed to St George just before he blew his knee out for the third time and had to quit League and he made it clear that while not as public as it is today there has been a long established culture of depravity and deviancy. At school these guys were never pulled up for their often disruptive and destructive behaviour. All becuase they could play League. Now my school was quite strict for the majority of the student populus but if you were in the 1st XIII you had free run of the place. There's also a strong culture of homoeroticism. Too much testosterone and not enough supervision. As you say Rugby player's are certainly not saints but I have never experienced anything near the levels of anti-social behaviour than I did during my time at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.