• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
There is no way that Sonny Bill will tour end of year.

People (especially the media) forget rather quickly that he wasn't even an inked in starter the AB's whilst he played for us. I just cannot fathom the hype around him as a player - Jerry Guscott had him in his top 5 centres he's ever seen play FFS.

Smith, Nonu, Fekitoa are the inked in centres, the rest is up for grabs.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is no way that Sonny Bill will tour end of year.

People (especially the media) forget rather quickly that he wasn't even an inked in starter the AB's whilst he played for us. I just cannot fathom the hype around him as a player - Jerry Guscott had him in his top 5 centres he's ever seen play FFS.

Smith, Nonu, Fekitoa are the inked in centres, the rest is up for grabs.

He started when he could only play half the rugby championship in his final year.

Also, how was SBW not 'inked' but Fekitoa is 'inked'?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if SBW doesn't waltz back into NZs top four centres with Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu and Malakai Fekitoa.

I think it would be a mistake to try and pick Cruden/Barrett/Carter at 10 and 12 if they're all healthy.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd be surprised if SBW doesn't waltz back into NZs top four centres with Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu and Malakai Fekitoa.

I think it would be a mistake to try and pick Cruden/Barrett/Carter at 10 and 12 if they're all healthy.

I think the obvious selection (in time) is Carter to start at 10 and Barrett to cover 10/15 from the bench.

I agree Cruden is the better 10 than Barrett (though arguably not on current form) but he hasn't played much 15.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
He started when he could only play half the rugby championship in his final year.

Also, how was SBW not 'inked' but Fekitoa is 'inked'?

Due to injury only, from memory.

SBW isn't inked, but Fekitoa is inked, as Fekitoa is currently the incumbent and hasn't done a single thing to show why he should be dropped.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
MR, Fekitoa has hardly cemented his spot in the ABs just yet. Plenty of ABs have just played in one June international series and have hardly been sighted again. Let's just wait and see. Hell Crotty has been in the ABs longer than Fekitoa and done nothing wrong.

SBW will be very much a wait see what he does I reckon.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Your last sentence is really my entire point. People calling for him in now, are being rather short sighted

Point about Fekitoa is that he's now the incumbent. Barring an absolutely shambolic RC, he'll be on the plane.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Your last sentence is really my entire point. People calling for him in now, are being rather short sighted

Point about Fekitoa is that he's now the incumbent. Barring an absolutely shambolic RC, he'll be on the plane.

I guess that Fekitoa is the 'incumbent' for the same reason SBW was the incumbent (when he started in the tri-nations), because of injury to our first choicers.

I really hope Fekitoa pushes on and cements his spot in the squad.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I wouldn't be surprised if SBW went on end of year tour, I personally wouldn't pick him, but if he plays ITM cup, and Shag intends to use him in WC next year, I would imagine he would want to get him in squad and playing to get systems etc bedded in a bit, there are no mid year series next year to get him sorted.
Mind you Shag may just not want to use him.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Confirmation that Taffy Anscombe is off to Wales:

"Chiefs and Auckland utility back Gareth Anscombe has signed with the Cardiff Blues, the Welsh side have announced.

"The move will inevitably increase the possibility of the 23-year-old, who can play first-five or full-back, breaking into Warren Gatland's Wales squad ahead of next year's World Cup.

"Anscombe qualifies to wear the red shirt through his Welsh mother.

"He move to Cardiff once he has completed ITM Cup commitments with Auckland."

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/24544877/anscombe-moving-to-wales/

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales don't have any stand out 10s, 15 is locked down though.

Worth noting also that Gats is unsurprisingly spending his summer hols in NZ & has made no secret of keeping in touch with Taffy for these past 12.months or so. Good luck to the kid, I'm sure the AB will have a special welcome for him if their paths cross......

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dane Coles Wellington / Hurricanes (18)
Keven Mealamu Auckland / Blues (113)

Props
Wyatt Crockett Canterbury / Crusaders (27)
Charlie Faumuina Auckland / Blues (20)
Ben Franks Hawke's Bay / Hurricanes (31)
Owen Franks Canterbury / Crusaders (57)
Tony Woodcock North Harbour / Blues (110)

Locks
Dominic Bird Canterbury / Crusaders (1)
Brodie Retallick Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (27)
Patrick Tuipulotu Auckland / Blues (2)
Samuel Whitelock Canterbury / Crusaders (54)

Loose forwards
Sam Cane Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (14)
Jerome Kaino Auckland / Blues (51)
Steven Luatua Auckland / Blues (11)
Richie McCaw (c) Canterbury / Crusaders (127)
Liam Messam Waikato / Chiefs (32)
Kieran Read Canterbury / Crusaders (62)

Backs:

Halfbacks
Tawera Kerr-Barlow Waikato / Chiefs (14)
TJ Perenara Wellington/ Hurricanes (3)
Aaron Smith Manawatu / Highlanders (29)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett Taranaki / Hurricanes (19)
Daniel Carter Canterbury / Crusaders (100)
Aaron Cruden Manawatu / Chiefs (32)

Midfielders
Malakai Fekitoa Auckland / Highlanders (2)
Ma'a Nonu Wellington / Blues (91)
Conrad Smith Wellington / Hurricanes (77)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg Hawke's Bay / Crusaders (39)
Cory Jane Wellington / Hurricanes (48)
Charles Piutau Auckland / Blues (10)
Ben Smith Otago / Highlanders (29)
Julian Savea Wellington/ Hurricanes (22)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of these paragraphs was posted on GAGR by me on Sunday, the other by "rugby writer" Marc Hinton on various Fairfax sites today. Spot the difference?

"Strangest for me is Cane with fuck all recent rugby ahead of Todd who has been in pretty good form lately & while he's never previously looked the goods at AB level surely deserves first crack at showing whether he's now ready yo step it up."

"Cane's selection, though, might raise an eyebrow or two after he missed the back half of the Chiefs' season with a knee injury. The 22-year-old replaces Todd as backup openside, and must be considered a little fortunate to do so.
"Todd has been in excellent form for the Crusaders as they have reached their 11th Super Rugby final, keeping Richie McCaw at No. 6 for the knockout matches. It is a big call to replace him with someone who hasn't played since he went down with a knee injury on May 9."

I rang my lawyer about going him for plagiarism but apparently stating the same bleeding fucking obvious one day after someone else doesn't count.