• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Teach, just back from rugby club, and after discussion over a beer thinking Wellington/Dunedin Welsh tests maybe the go next year, will let you know if that the case and will look at a beer whist in Dunedin huh?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Woodcock, feels like he's been running on fumes for the last 4 years, coasting along on the stratospheric contrails of that jet-shoed 5 metre bolt for the tryline in 2011

SBW no way deserves it, he looks like a luxury cruise liner without his little tugboat rudder in Cruden

I still think theyll go with all the safe options, the Jane's the Daggs the Crottys rather than the Super 15 comets, the Skudders Fekitoas and Naholos

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Dagg must be toast surely. Smith owns 15. Slade and Barret can cover it as well.
Surely Naholo has to be in. I expect him to play against the Argies on friday.
I don't rate SBW that highly. I also think Sapoaga's tactical kicking game may see him on the plane. Which also helps dropping Dagg and keeping Slade as the all rounder back up.
Fekitoa is a good back up for Smith. Skudder I don't think will go.
I doubt Ellis will make it. Some of his passes made Phipps look decisive and accurate.
Who knows what the three wise men are thinking. It will be very interesting to see the final squad.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Does anyone else think it's unfair that new Zealand have a new Zealand Maori team that plays test rugby. It's like they have another team that they can experiment with at test level.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Whut?

Everybody is entitled to play an A side or a Barbarians side, or even 3rd string sides. A lot just choose not to because of the expense involved. The Irish for example have both an A Squad (Wolfhounds) and a 3rd string side (Emerging Ireland). Emerging Ireland played in June against Emerging Italy, Georgia and Uruguay.

The Maori just has a focus towards to the Indigenous Kiwis, and consequentially, a bigger focus in the media and possibly greater funding.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So we could have an A team playing tests? Why the hell Don't we.
As I understand it the ARU have to pay a match fee to the players (Rugby Union Players Association have demanded the full $10k match fee per player) and if 8000 people turn up ARU are out a shit load of money.

Apparently RUPA are now open to seeing a reduced match fee for Australia A games ($2500) but nothing's happened since the impasse.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So the fact that the all blacks is such a massive brand. It's a massive part of their success.
Nah, I'd say in this scenario the egg came well before the chicken.

The success brought them opportunities to maximise their brand, not the other way round.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
That would be a mistake in my view.

jane surely is holidaying with Dagg somewhere in September/October.

Naholo and either Fekitoa/Skudder will make it.

Skudder is an interesting case, he has the footwork and x factor to unlock tight defences which makes him an intriguing prospect to take.

naholo has speed which will be invaluable for offensive kicking opportunities and his combination with Smith demands attention.

In a world cup year I think there is room for bolters, the AB's will be analysed to death by their opponents but these 2 will be fairly unknown quantities for the opposition at this level.