• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't disagree.

It starts with the halfback though and he had the poorest game out of everyone in the team.

In torrential rain, it was hard for any of the backs from either side to have any great impact.

Do you think Beale was instructed to play deep in the pocket? It sounds to me like a structural mistake given the ball in hand type of gameplan.

I didn't see any pressure put on Fekitoa in defense, nor on Nonu when he was injured. Similarly when Barrett was in the sin bin.
Izzy was not given much of a chance 1 on 1. Infact the commentators highlighted a scrum where IF plus the winger had the blindside to themselves, the ball came out that side and then switched back to the left.
I guess its just disappointing not to make the most of the opportunity, given that the AB's weren't at their best.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Do you think Beale was instructed to play deep in the pocket? It sounds to me like a structural mistake given the ball in hand type of gameplan.

I didn't see any pressure put on Fekitoa in defense, nor on Nonu when he was injured. Similarly when Barrett was in the sin bin.
Izzy was not given much of a chance 1 on 1. Infact the commentators highlighted a scrum where IF plus the winger had the blindside to themselves, the ball came out that side and then switched back to the left.
I guess its just disappointing not to make the most of the opportunity, given that the AB's weren't at their best.

I'm happy with either Foley or Beale at 10 and it's a certainty to be one of them :cool:
However if I were selecting I'd be giving Beale a crack on a dry track rather than conceding after one 'average to fair' performance on a wet track and changing the team around again, and I'm pretty sure that's what will end up happening.
There have been a few comments about the backline looking more threatening once Foley came on but none of them correlate this with the fact that the entire time he was on (bar the last play I think) the ABs were without a fly-half and a man down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think standing deep was an allowance for the weather. He never does that in the dry.

Cruden was far deeper than he normally stands for the Chiefs or ABs as well.

I think it's just a reality of the weather knowing that the pass coming to you is less likely to be accurate and the ball more slippery.

As KOB1987 said, Beale was replaced after kicking the penalty from Barrett's yellow card.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think standing deep was an allowance for the weather. He never does that in the dry.

Cruden was far deeper than he normally stands for the Chiefs or ABs as well.

I think it's just a reality of the weather knowing that the pass coming to you is less likely to be accurate and the ball more slippery.

As KOB1987 said, Beale was replaced after kicking the penalty from Barrett's yellow card.

Chiefs play a different set piece attack to the ABs. Cruden stood deep in the England series because the majority of the play was in England's half. Likewise Bled 1. When were trying to get territory and kick ourselves downtown then standing deep is fine.

Beale wasn't bad but it was definitely surprising to see those tactics. OZ got caught behind the gain line particularly in that 1st half.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
With a dry track predicted for the weekend the wallabies should stick with the same starting 15. Just bring on the big fella Will earlier so at least he can get the ball a few more times to create a bit of havoc.
Note to SH time for Mealamu to hang up his boots and bring one of these young ITM boys onto the bench and play Coles for the full 80

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
With a dry track predicted for the weekend the wallabies should stick with the same starting 15. Just bring on the big fella Will earlier so at least he can get the ball a few more times to create a bit of havoc.
Note to SH time for Mealamu to hang up his boots and bring one of these young ITM boys onto the bench and play Coles for the full 80

what's wrong with Corey Flynn?

EDIT: I just realised he isn't much younger but he was in pretty good form was he not?
EDIT2: from a longer term perspective you are no doubt right

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm happy with either Foley or Beale at 10 and it's a certainty to be one of them :cool:
However if I were selecting I'd be giving Beale a crack on a dry track rather than conceding after one 'average to fair' performance on a wet track and changing the team around again, and I'm pretty sure that's what will end up happening.
There have been a few comments about the backline looking more threatening once Foley came on but none of them correlate this with the fact that the entire time he was on (bar the last play I think) the ABs were without a fly-half and a man down.

I think we have to keep the same side (I'm not saying I necessarily agree with all the selections, but continuity is important.) I was sitting behind the posts on Saturday night and it was quite noticeable how lateral the Wallaby backs were in attack. That will need to be fixed to make use of our attacking opportunities.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Pick the same side. At least we'll know where we stand if:

Auckland is rainy in august, but it's apparently meant to be dry on Saturday (to the extent that they can pick this stuff a week out).

In Auckland? Good luck ;)

It'll be dry no doubt. Then wet. Then dry. Then windy. Then dry. Then wet and windy. Then fuck knows o_O

:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was sitting behind the posts on Saturday night and it was quite noticeable how lateral the Wallaby backs were in attack. That will need to be fixed to make use of our attacking opportunities.

It starts in February.
I don't think it can be fixed in a week: the whole country is running across field.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Carter got better but as has been mentioned was taking it up far to high. Best he (carter) just puts his head down and focuses on bashing blokes at the rucks and leaves the carries to Palu, Hooper, fardy, slipper and Kepu (carried alot better).

Could big Will come of age in Aukland???
Good idea removing a ball carrying threat. Make it easier for the All Blacks defence by having to only mark up five guys in the pack

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Someone has to hit rucks. In fact, pretty much everyone does. And as Simmons is an average ball carrier, he's not doing it. Fardy next in line, Charles and Carter after that.

Saw footage of Charles passing close to the line on a news report today. Should have backed himself.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eden Park can be bad at this time of the year. Consider this:

In a surprise move to combat the possibility of repeat bad weather in Auckland, secretly taped footage from a surprise selection trial for the Wallabies shows that Link is planning to name many of the Manly Colts 3rds in the Wobs run on squad. ARU supremo Bill Pulver is reported to be happy because match payments and accommodation costs will be severely reduced relieving pressure on the ARU coffers.

1-jpg.5237

12-jpg.5238

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
No wonder the Kiwi press is worried - for the first time in years the All Blacks are looking a bit fragile.

Carter's already out, Mealamu's best days are behind him, McCaw's lost a yard of pace, Nonu and Kaino will either be out or carrying niggles and Read is off his best.

So all in all, the AB's are fragile, ready to break. And we're just blokes to go over there and smash them!

That's what I'll be telling myself all week anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.