• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Australia - Auckland - 23 August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree completely Ash.

I'm sure if we went back through the comments from the French tests some of the same people arguing that Foley should be the starting 10 still would have been saying that he was only average against France and was merely keeping the jersey warm for Cooper.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I personally have us favourites and expect us to win. Will be really disappointed if we don't. Don't buy into hoodoos at all, Eden Park is no tougher to play at than Hamilton or Wellington.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I hope Kurtley and White step up in the dry and take control of the tempo.

If they can do that we have a real shot, especially if nonu and kaino are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

When three of our players couldn't blow Sam Cane off the ball in the final moments of Bled 1, I'm not too sure that Kaino is such a big loss but it will force some sort of reshuffle. Messum is the obvious replacement candidate and that would bring the loose forward equation from Kaino = 1.5 Fardy down to more of a parity like situation at Messam = 1.1 Fardy.

I'm getting more and more confident that the Men in Gold can win on Saturday, and that worries me because such confidence is usually the Kiss of Death to the Wobs chances.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems a little funny that Crotty is expected to be named at 12 after Fekitoa was pretty decent at 13 last Saturday and spent most of the Super Rugby season at 12 for the Highlanders with Smith at 13.

Good opportunity to rekindle that combination.

They're definitely two huge losses for the All Blacks though. Whilst Messam is an excellent replacement for Kaino, Kaino is far more physical. They'll certainly need more out of Read this week than they got in Sydney.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It seems a little funny that Crotty is expected to be named at 12 after Fekitoa was pretty decent at 13 last Saturday and spent most of the Super Rugby season at 12 for the Highlanders with Smith at 13.

Good opportunity to rekindle that combination.

I think they will, just the journo speaking his mind I think

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I hope Kurtley and White step up in the dry and take control of the tempo.

If they can do that we have a real shot, especially if nonu and kaino are out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do as well, I think Phipps probably need's more game time so I would give him at least 30 mins, unless of course White is playing the house down. I would probably like to see Kurtley and Phipps run together at 9 - 10 for a while as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think its good for OZ that the lineup didn't change. No bench player was screaming pick me ahead of starter X. Link may use his bench a little different though

Yeah, a bit more faith in the bench is probably needed.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) missed the cleanout on Cane at the end. Maybe if we'd had a fresh Kuridrani there he'd have made the cleanout and we'd have had an opportunity for a drop goal to win the game.

One of the current strengths is that we've got more form players on the bench than we have in recent years. We need to use them.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I personally have us favourites and expect us to win. Will be really disappointed if we don't. Don't buy into hoodoos at all, Eden Park is no tougher to play at than Hamilton or Wellington.

That's a pretty big statement assuming you have never played at them? Have you been to any games at them?

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, a bit more faith in the bench is probably needed.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) missed the cleanout on Cane at the end. Maybe if we'd had a fresh Kuridrani there he'd have made the cleanout and we'd have had an opportunity for a drop goal to win the game.

One of the current strengths is that we've got more form players on the bench than we have in recent years. We need to use them.
Was a bit weird, Ewen normally goes to the bench early and often. I can only guess he was worried about bringing players on into the conditions and having them not adapt quickly enough.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Eh? Smith started every game he played of this years Super season at 15. Fekitoa was at 13 all bar one game where he played on the wing. Stanley started at centre that match

The 12 duties were shared between Treeby and Burleigh.

T

Train Without a Station

I think it's just a little odd if the go that way because they've essentially played two tests in a row with two completely different, and unbalanced centres. If you were going to play Crotty over Fekitoa, alongside Nonu was the time to do it. Likewise Fekitoa over Cotty, alongside Smith is the time to do it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm predicting 12. Crotty 13. Smith 23. Fekitoa

It really should be 14. Smith 15. Dagg too. Fortunately Jane's performance in the 3rd Test redeems himself despite being shit in the other 2.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I don't think Kaino is a big loss given they have Messam who can step straight in and play a similar role.

Nonu is a huge loss. I fully expect To'omua and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to dominate the centres now.

Hopefully but don't forget Conrad Smith is back and he can defend.

Reactions: BPC

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Charlie Faumuina back at training after his 'flu, assuming he'll come in for Moody. Kev will need a big one off the bench this week (still can't understand why Coles got hooked), then again the absence of a 3rd hooker may save him.........

Status
Not open for further replies.