• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Fox Sports running the story that Foley may start at 10.

As the old saying goes, if at first you don't succeed, repeatedly try the same thing in hope you get a different result.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)

As the old saying goes, if at first you don't succeed, repeatedly try the same thing in hope you get a different result.

or it might be tied to who the half is? foley has established partnership with phipps. personally im not sure i like a potential phipps/cooper combo.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Did The Kiwi survive the god-awful Britomart development? Was a bit of a rathole as I recall & probably not for those of the Strayan persuasion pre- or post-match but was always one of our stops on the annual Cossie Tours trip to Auckland back in the mid- & late-90's.

The Britomart precinct has been redeveloped. It's now far, far better than the awful state it was in after traffic engineers were, for some stupid reason, allowed to make urban design decisions.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Foley is selected at 10 and Quade is relegated to the bench the worst thing about it is that this thread will degenerate into a shitpile of regurgitated Foley v Quade arguments until game time. Can someone who wants to 'discuss' that specific topic please start a separate thread so that those of us who just want to discuss the upcoming game can do so in a civilian fashion?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Are you talking about the lack of success with Cooper at 10 or the lack of success with Foley at 10?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
If you want to try something different:

Lets go all-out Deans and put Hodge at 10, play narrow with the ball only getting as far as Kerevei at 12 and rely on Kuridrani etc to make lots of tackles and chase lots of kicks. Folau and Kuridrani can run off Kerevei. Hodge can kick goals.

Maybe we can limit the damage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If you want to try something different:

Lets go all-out Deans and put Hodge at 10, play narrow with the ball only getting as far as Kerevei at 12 and rely on Kuridrani etc to make lots of tackles and chase lots of kicks. Folau and Kuridrani can run off Kerevei. Hodge can kick goals.

Maybe we can limit the damage.

It depends if we are about "limiting damage" or having a go, I would rather lose 8 tries to 4 than lose 3 tries to 1 or 2 playing "all-out Deans"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Coopers been pretty successful all year for the wallabies.

It isn't really comparing apples with apples is it, Foley has no success playing 10 vs England & the ABs

Cooper has success against teams closer to our standard, but no better against the AB's.

I would suggest that Foley at 10 vs the Argies and Boks @ home would have had the same results

My point, Cooper or Foley? neither are our savior.

Test rugby is all about the units numbered 1 to 5 out preforming the other lot for enough of the match

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It isn't really comparing apples with apples is it, Foley has no success playing 10 vs England & the ABs

Cooper has success against teams closer to our standard, but no better against the AB's.

I would suggest that Foley at 10 vs the Argies and Boks @ home would have had the same results

My point, Cooper or Foley? neither are our savior.

Test rugby is all about the units numbered 1 to 5 out preforming the other lot for enough of the match
I agree that the root problem for where this match will be lost is up front, as it ever is. The margin might well be altered by who we have and where in the backs. I would have kept Cooper at 10, if it was my call. For mine, the goal-kicking question is moot - they both probably are much of a muchness, and I doubt the game will be decided by a couple of missed goals. I think the loss of Genia is a bigger issue than whether Cooper or Foley plays 10, to be honest. I think Phipps is OK, but Genia has been in very, very good form.
Maybe Cheika is foxing us all?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
WALLABIES TEAM

1. Scott Sio (24 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (111 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (72 Tests)
4. Rory Arnold (5 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (6 Tests)
6. Dean Mumm (52 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (60 Tests)
8. Lopeti Timani (2 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (47 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (36 Tests)
11. Henry Speight (5 Tests)
12. Reece Hodge (5 Tests)
13. Samu Kerevi (7 Tests)
14. Dane Haylett-Petty (9 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (47 Tests)
RESERVES

16. James Hanson (11 Tests)
17. Tom Robertson (3 Tests)
18. Allan Ala'alatoa (4 Tests)
19. Rob Simmons (65 Tests)
20. David Pocock (60 Tests)
21. Nick Frisby (2 Tests)
22. Quade Cooper (63 Tests)
23. Sefa Naivalu (1 Test)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Did he really put off naming the team to surprise evreyone with a Foley and Hodge at 12 selection?? I know it probably just me but if that what is called coaching trickery naming team late, I suspect coach is perhaps clutching at straws a bit??

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully that Wallaby 23 shuts up the blokes saying 'Chieks never makes unforced changes to give blokes a crack' but I think they'll just change their tune to 'too little, too late'.

Ambitious selections, I thought we'd have to wait for the Spring Tour to see this 23. I'd rather see Sefa over Speight, but we're giving something a crack, so no beef here.

Still, we should've rolled this XV out against Argentina but at least it makes the AB analysis team work overtime. All the stuff they've practised to exploit our combinations is probably out the window haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.