• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand v Wallabies, Eden Park, Sat 22nd October

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Could part of the reason be that Foley is a better defender than Quade in that 10 channel and Cheika might be interested in seeing how things play out with the 10/12/13 and back three defending in their relative positions at set piece etc. Rather than all the shuffling that occurs.

Speight is a pretty good defender also, so I suspect he is trying to shore up defensively to stop the leakage of points that has occurred in the two previous AB tests (and what happened against England)

A

All Black Magic

Well considering Quade is a better defender statistically i dont think so. When Quade defended in the front line back in 2013 he was fine. I definitely think everyone needs to be defending in their own channel.

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen yesterday mischievously picked what he thought Australia would put out in the backline, with remarkable success. He picked Cooper would be dropped as well as Hodge coming into second-five and Samu Kerevi at centre.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And i dont know why Foleys combination with Phipps is enough to dislodge Quade

I would assume that Phipp's attributes suit Foley's play more than Cooper's

Cooper likes his 9 to direct play until Cooper calls for it.

Phipps clears the ball and the 10 makes those decisions playing off quicker ball (hopefully) closer/flatter on the advantage line

A

All Black Magic

I doubt any selections would change the outcome, but that isnt a reasonable justification for picking out of form players When theres better alternatives

Given that Hansen knew what the Wallaby team was likely to be even before before MC did -his game plan will be well rehearsed.
This spells danger for the Wallabies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Could part of the reason be that Foley is a better defender than Quade in that 10 channel and Cheika might be interested in seeing how things play out with the 10/12/13 and back three defending in their relative positions at set piece etc. Rather than all the shuffling that occurs.

Speight is a pretty good defender also, so I suspect he is trying to shore up defensively to stop the leakage of points that has occurred in the two previous AB tests (and what happened against England)

Definately the latter. Hopefully he's fit.

With Foley, Cooper, DHP and Izzy on the field you have four guys and three positions out of the line. Bring Speight in and the weak link looks a lot less weak.

Don't understand the first point. Why would you leave your weaker defensive players in the most critical defensive positions on the field?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Foley Hodge Phipps and Speight are really on a hiding to nothing.. every year we do something different in this test e.g. pick white we get hammered and the new players or positions are never seen again.

I hope Speight shows the talent we all have seen from him.. Hopefully back from injury completely and in form

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
I would assume that Phipp's attributes suit Foley's play more than Cooper's

Cooper likes his 9 to direct play until Cooper calls for it.

Phipps clears the ball and the 10 makes those decisions playing off quicker ball (hopefully) closer/flatter on the advantage line
I havent seen anything all year that comes close to that. Phipps' service has been very erratic and even with Genia, Foley wasnt playing flat and his decision making is little more then deciding whether to run himself or just distribute. He is statistically so far behind cooper when it comes to linebreak and try assists its ridiculous. The Phipps/Foley hasnt worked yet tgis year and i dont know why it will be better tomorrow night. Phipps/Cooper might have been as bad, maybe even worse but it also could have been better.

A

All Black Magic

Simple game plan I reckon

Bash the tight 5
Bask Kerevi and Folau
Pressure Foley
Kick plenty of penalties
AB's attack will run it's course.

MC will see that the back-line isn't working early in the match.
He will bring on Quade and the All Blacks will set a new record.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Sportsbet have the ABs at $5 to win by 40+.

Considering we lost by 34 in Sydney in game 1, this seems very good odds.

I do believe the Wallabies will do better than Sydney but there's certainly a chance they'll do worse.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
How's Hodge with drop goals? They'll be expecting him to crash through but could he just pot a few over?

Not sure that Foley deserves the 10 over Cooper but just hoping its a tight match.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I'd support this. It's not like we'd be burning attacking opportunities that we were otherwise going to ably exploit.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Sportsbet have the ABs at $5 to win by 40+.

Considering we lost by 34 in Sydney in game 1, this seems very good odds.

I do believe the Wallabies will do better than Sydney but there's certainly a chance they'll do worse.

Or they could do the same. I think we've nailed it, between us.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen yesterday mischievously picked what he thought Australia would put out in the backline, with remarkable success. He picked Cooper would be dropped as well as Hodge coming into second-five and Samu Kerevi at centre.
The mans a genius

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Poor Speight, he finally gets another crack but again with Foley at 10, don't think he'll be seeing much ball and that is only going to further strengthen the perception he is not a test level player.

Please start him outside Cooper!!

Status
Not open for further replies.