• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Argentina, Nov 14, 2020

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Who got them up for this game? Who do you reckon gave them the believe they could beat the All Blacks under all the adversity they faced? I don't know for sure but it reeks of Cheika. Matera referenced the lack of respect during the game.

'THEY DON'T RESPECT YOU'

Cheika's DNA for sure.

Cheika always felt handicapped by the Australian public (rightly or wrongly) introducing a kicking game. No such issues with Argentina.

I can think of half a dozen reasons for the Argentinian performance that has fuck all to do with Chieka. In fact your insistence that it's all to do with a bloke who's been in a consulting role for a couple of weeks is downright arrogant and disrespectful to a fucking fantastic team effort in test match rugby.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Did you watch Argentina at all last year? They needed a change.

Yep, they lost to NZ by 4 points in NZ last year.
They've beaten Australia and South Africa a couple of times in recent years. This moment has been building. They've faced possibly more adversity than NZ and Australia during covid. A lot of things can galvanize a side that has begun getting results anyway. Perhaps Chieka is a part of that recipe. But solely attributable to him in a minor role? No chance. But I can tell you have a massive man crush on him so will leave that there.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Awesome work by Pumas leaving ABs flat-footed.

And stuff WBs fans getting antsy about people congratulating Cheika. CONGRATS CHEIKA. Congrats Argentina, take a bow Ledesma!

Rennie might want to rethink using the next game as a gimme and going less than full strength.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Yep, they lost to NZ by 4 points in NZ last year.
They've beaten Australia and South Africa a couple of times in recent years. This moment has been building. They've faced possibly more adversity than NZ and Australia during covid. A lot of things can galvanize a side that has begun getting results anyway. Perhaps Chieka is a part of that recipe. But solely attributable to him in a minor role? No chance. But I can tell you have a massive man crush on him so will leave that there.

Nothing to see here, just NSW supporters claiming credit for someone else's work. When you move down here you quickly realise that's what Sydney's entire economy is predicated on.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Pumas didn’t really have anything in attack but they just did a lot of simple things really well that the Wallabies have certainly struggled with recently, such as effective cleanouts leading to quick recycle ball, strong set piece (particularly the lineout), good defence and making your tackles.........

We could really do with a Matera.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The Pumas didn’t really have anything in attack but they just did a lot of simple things really well that the Wallabies have certainly struggled with recently, such as effective cleanouts leading to quick recycle ball, strong set piece (particularly the lineout), good defence and making your tackles...

I'd take the whole Argentinian backrow! They were absolutely awesome yesterday, totally dominating NZ in a way we've never been able to do even when we've beaten them.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
The Pumas didn’t really have anything in attack but they just did a lot of simple things really well that the Wallabies have certainly struggled with recently, such as effective cleanouts leading to quick recycle ball, strong set piece (particularly the lineout), good defence and making your tackles...

And a Sanchez

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can think of half a dozen reasons for the Argentinian performance that has fuck all to do with Chieka. In fact your insistence that it's all to do with a bloke who's been in a consulting role for a couple of weeks is downright arrogant and disrespectful to a fucking fantastic team effort in test match rugby.
UAR invited Cheika into the setup at Ledesma’s recommendation, you don’t suppose there was a reason for that?

No one is saying it was all Cheika but he surely played a big role. Read Froggy’s post above, it’s pretty spot on. In Cheika’s first year with the Wallabies he beat the ABs at his first attempt and got us into a RWC final when many had us not even getting out of the pool stages. After that it went pear. He needs to navigate Argentina through the RC and then go and consult to an NRL team or something.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
I understand GAGR is predominantly an Australian supported rugby site but it’s pretty disappointing to come into the match thread after a historic Argie win and see the post game discussion dominated by Cheika chat.

Does anyone really care how much or little involvement he had? There are 23 Argentinian players who just took the field and accomplished something great for their country. Pretty sure Ledesma isn’t sitting there thinking it all happened because he brought Cheika onto his coaching staff.

I actually think it’s disrespectful to the Argie rugby community to focus so much on who was in the coaching box rather than the blokes who took the field.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why? It’s a relevant point of discussion. Ledesma clearly likes working with him and no one is taking anything away from the players, it’s in no way disrespectful to attribute some of the credit to the coaching setup. There was a stark difference between the Argentina that played yesterday and the one that played last year, with basically the same group of players they have had for the last 3 years. Some people are just choosing to join the dots, others are unwilling to accept any correlation. Kudos to the Pumas, and onwards to next week.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The Pumas didn’t really have anything in attack

Disagree - go watch the fast hands leading up to their first try. They've got backline talent in spades BUT once they got the lead they racked that cue and went back to what works in keeping a lead: knock blokes over, get your penalties, march downfield. Take the points.

The ABs handed a few opportunities to them on a platter as well. It is a little known fact that Coles is an ancient Maori word for dipshit.

Around the 25 minute mark there were back to back to back penalties that allowed Sanchez a shot at goal. The whole thing started just outside the Argie 22.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I understand GAGR is predominantly an Australian supported rugby site but it’s pretty disappointing to come into the match thread after a historic Argie win and see the post game discussion dominated by Cheika chat.

Does anyone really care how much or little involvement he had? There are 23 Argentinian players who just took the field and accomplished something great for their country. Pretty sure Ledesma isn’t sitting there thinking it all happened because he brought Cheika onto his coaching staff.

I actually think it’s disrespectful to the Argie rugby community to focus so much on who was in the coaching box rather than the blokes who took the field.
Why. No one is being disrespectful. You’re overthinking it. It’s a rugby forum.