• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Argentina, Nov 14, 2020

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It’s disrespectful by virtue of people thinking the guys in the coaching box had more bearing on the game than the blokes who took the field and the tit for tatt back and forth about whether Cheika is the new messiah of Argentinian rugby. There are literally pages of that dribble.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It’s disrespectful by virtue of people thinking the guys in the coaching box had more bearing on the game than the blokes who took the field and the tit for tatt back and forth about whether Cheika is the new messiah of Argentinian rugby. There are literally pages of that dribble.
Then don’t read it. There are 100s of conversations on here I have no interest in.

To be honest, what I find annoying is when people try and shut down conversations they have no interest in. Who cares. I get it when it is a rehashed conversation that has happened 100 times - but even then, why does it bother other people. Just scroll past. In absolutely no way have I or anyone else on here been disrespectful to the Argentinian players but the comparisons between the tactics employed by Argentina and those employed by the Wallabies and the personal available to employ those tactics are entirely relevant to an Australian rugby forum as to is the light in which Cheika is cast. You don’t have to agree or be interested yourself but to say it is disrespectful is rubbish.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fucking amazing. I love an undefeated streak being broken. Go Argies. Looked nearly as good as their little collars. Matera has Hooper's fucky cross-eyed intense thing too.

SA really missed a beat to make this the best rugby product going around. The mutated Six Nations is already a complete failure. TRC would've been immense.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Cyclo hit the nail on the head. Argentina likes to play on the edges of the laws. They usually fail to control their aggression, and give away penalties and cards. Somehow they contained that.

I loved the Argie capo's reply to the ref, pointing to the logo on his jersey "I play for my country. If they disrespect me, I have to fight back."

Feckin' right up the middle with no excuses. Loved it.

The skills sets have improved. Perhaps this time off was what the squad needed: a long time together.

Absolutely loved every second of it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Fucking amazing. I love an undefeated streak being broken. Go Argies. Looked nearly as good as their little collars. Matera has Hooper's fucky cross-eyed intense thing too.

SA really missed a beat to make this the best rugby product going around. The mutated Six Nations is already a complete failure. TRC would've been immense.

SA is staying in this competition. It has already been announced.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I’ll add that I note that Cheika features in discussions across social media this morning. Lots of people find it an interesting sub-plot, even if some do not.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Was out yesterday so finally got to watch the game this morning. What a spirited performance by Argentina and how unpolished were the All Blacks. Moments like Mo'unga kicking the penalty dead, or that sure thing try with a shocker of a final pass from Sotutu to McKenzie or that knock on by Rieko.. whilst they have skill for days I'm not quiet sure that this current All Blacks team is showing the same mental fortitude of some of their past teams. I think this game and the Wallabies last week has shown if you rattle them they can really come unstuck.

Credit to Argentina. It was a relatively polished performance and they really threw the kitchen sink at the All Blacks. If 1 hadn’t kept coming in the side at the ruck, it was close to the best I've seen from them in a long time. Perhaps a COVID enforced camp is what Argentina has needed to get this kind of clarity/focus into their game. Even their scrum looked better than I recall.

I'm sure there will be some knit picking at the ref/tmo performance but on balance I think it all evened out. There was a few moments that could have possibly gone the other way but none that had anything to do with the outcome.

This Tri Nations has become very interesting and I'm keen to go read some of that NZ press about their team and coach.

For us (Wallabies) this really rams home that our game against Argentina isn't one where we can be necessarily trialling a lot of untested talent. I also imagine that the turn out at the game may be a little larger. As an aside, how good is the atmosphere there. A purpose build rectangle stadium where everyone is in nice and close. For a relatively small crowd it just seemed electric.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
NZ panelists vert critical of on field leadership in the post game. Essentially not so subtle swipes at Sam Cane.

Not sure who else would be better suited to the captaincy - some of the more experienced blokes have really fallen off these last few games.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Disagree - go watch the fast hands leading up to their first try. They've got backline talent in spades BUT once they got the lead they racked that cue and went back to what works in keeping a lead: knock blokes over, get your penalties, march downfield. Take the points.

The ABs handed a few opportunities to them on a platter as well. It is a little known fact that Coles is an ancient Maori word for dipshit.

Around the 25 minute mark there were back to back to back penalties that allowed Sanchez a shot at goal. The whole thing started just outside the Argie 22.
And that bullshit that is often trotted out (usually by Marshall in reference to the Crusaders) that “three points isn’t going to be enough” should be well and truly put to bed. Take all the points on offer and force them to make the play.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
NZ panelists vert critical of on field leadership in the post game. Essentially not so subtle swipes at Sam Cane.

Not sure who else would be better suited to the captaincy - some of the more experienced blokes have really fallen off these last few games.

I personally would have gone Whitelock but perhaps there is a reason why not - wasn't he due to be on a sabbatical or something?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
They did at various times. Don't you recall this game;

The issue is I feel you can only play the emotion game so often before it become less effective.

Generally I agree but arguably the longest professional dynasty in Australian sports the QLD Maroons 8 in a row was overseen by Mal Meninga, and it’s pretty widely known he was an emotional leader not known for his coaching prowess. Of course it helps when your team is staked with future NRL legends.

I think a spirit/emotional coach can be highly successful especially at representative level where you’re only getting a group for a couple of months a year, but the playing group needs to be exceptional, of which that era of Wallabies weren’t.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Just saw the highlight and very pleased for the Argies. Would question 2 things:

- the short throw in for Cane's try didn't seem very straight given the jumper caught it square in the middle of his chest and hadn't moved
- Cane offside at 31m playing the ball on the ground was very cynical