• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Some folks might know that I spend a bit of time in the Schoolboys forum and have to do a bit of moderating.

Some of the schools rugby threads used to deteriorate because people talked about scholarships or other nefarious recruitment practices of some schools. People got emotional about the subject because the "playing field" was no longer level for the schools not participating in the arms race - and yarda, yarda.

I hit upon a good idea. We created a scholarships thread for discussion on such matters, but the topic was banned from other schools rugby threads. We just zapped the posts if the topic crept in. Things improved.

Now we are caught up in discussing refereeing decisions in test rugby match threads as though they were the most important considerations in our performance in the two Bledisloe matches to date.

We are getting to be so earnest about a non-core subject that maybe we should be forced to use the Refereeing Decisions thread so that significant rugby matters can be discussed free of excuses or deflections.

We are getting as bad as the Kiwis, who are still blaming a referee for being dudded in their 2007 RWC quarter-final: something which they had no control over. They should be blaming something they could have had control over: having a drop kick strategy in their playbook.

They didn't – just ask Richie McCaw.

Mind you: they are still moaning about a decision in a test lost in Cardiff in 1905; so it's in their DNA.

But we Aussies should not be harping on about referees when there are more significant things to address.

Our players are not hard enough for long enough - we lack brutes, and when the bench comes on they are even softer.

They aren't quick enough either - I'm not talking about their feet, but between the ears: they are slow responders to signals of danger and even to opportunity. In a Darwinian rugby world our race would be prone to extinction.

And our tools are inferior to the other tribes who are in competition with us for survival. Comparing the passing and catching skills of our backline in Bledisloe One and that of the South Africans a few hours later, was like looking at chalk and cheese.

The bloody South Africans - it was like watching cows playing the piano better than we could.

I could go on and on talking about about how much our players are unsuited to the cruel realities of big test match rugby for survival, and how it has been confirmed in our last three test matches, but the main thing is that we have to improve the breed by improving our structures and processing our players though them.

These are things we have control over.

Whingeing about referees is like pissing in the wind.

There's a song in that somewhere.
You are spot on,Lee.Especially about catching and passing.After the Bled I watched the Currie Cup match between bulls and Lions and was amazed at the standard of play,and in particular the quick and accurate passing.This was 2 teams playing with hardly any players I recognised from S15,but it looked like they were playing a different game than what I watched earlier.
I know it's difficult to compare that game with test match rugby for intensity,but the skills should still be there.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Ok fellas a few thoughts on game that I had being there, I know it a bit late but didn't get home until last night.
1. I had impression that Lilo struggled a little with defence, the Wallaby defensive line seemed to get bent around his position.
2 The class of 9s in the world is poor if Genia is the best, in fact Smith gave the impression he could play better.
3 Liked what I saw of Scott Fardy, seemed to play well.
4 The Wallabies are attempting to play the style of rugby the ABs played 2-3 years back, so could be getting left behind.
5 Tom Taylor had a bloody good first up test (and his usual position is not 10)
6 I must admit I never got to nervous watching game as I never got feeling that Wallabies were going to win.

Ok,I will remind you these were rough impressions of game, I haven't watched it on TV as yet, so on closer inspection am prepared to correct myself or be corrected, as I go to rugby to enjoy whole game, and don't tend to concentrate on just a couple of players.
WTF happened?
A. You live in Wellington, got smashed celebrating, woke up in hospital and was discharged yesterday, and finally caught a bus home OR
B. You live in OZ and bought a cheap ticket on Tiger Airways.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
i suppose that is the great thing Australians are recognised all over the world for - OBJECTIVITY

have fun guys, I'm over this part of the thread

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
WTF happened?
A. You live in Wellington, got smashed celebrating, woke up in hospital and was discharged yesterday, and finally caught a bus home OR
B. You live in OZ and bought a cheap ticket on Tiger Airways.

Yep IIWII,live in OZ and do the trip each year(always with 3 Oz and 3 kiwis). But all is good, have sent liver to cleaners and hope to be right for quick beer at rugby club finals Sat!!!

Peter Freedman

Frank Row (1)
This All Black side would be the best I've seen in more than 50 years of following rugby. The Wallabies were far from disgraced.

But somehow they have to find a way of manufacturing tries against a defence that looks almost impregnable. One fluke intercept isn't nearly enough.

Looking forward to seeing how the Springboks match up.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
His MO seems to be to criticise everything. Personally I'm not a fan. He makes some reasonable points but a lot of his articles seem to focus on drawing outrage from readers above all else.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Both you and Scrubber need to find out what Objective means.

Reasons points don't even add up & some of them are just plain lies. The Tom Taylor is classic case in point. Who said he was awesome?

I have to say this has been the worst media response to a match since the WC QF 2007.

Mark Reason is just trolling. He doesn't believe what he writes half the time.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
oh well posted on kiwi website..
Yep he lives in NZ now Gurz, if you ever read his father in 70s you would know breeding shows!! His old man would do same rip a SH team to shreds, helps sell articles in some rags!!
Mind you NZ stuff posts a lot from Aus writers at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.