• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia - Bledisloe 2, 24th August 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
And to prove a point ... Reason writes: .."McCaw has been another good example during the opening games of the Rugby Championship. The master has been clearly outplayed by Hooper, Australia's outstanding player, but no-one will admit it"
But the stats tell a different story; from ROAR
"...In 153 minutes of rugby over the two matches so far this season McCaw had 115 involvements (17 carries, 32 attempted tackles, 39 attacking rucks and 27 defensive rucks) whereas Hooper played 156 minutes and had 64 involvements (10 carries, 12 attempted tackles, 25 attacking rucks and 17 defensive rucks). McCaw’s involvements over the two matches were 80% higher than that of Hooper"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Got to add my comments about England 2002-3: no, they didn't often thrash teams, but they fucking won. A lot.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to add my comments about England 2002-3: no, they didn't often thrash teams, but they fucking won. A lot.

I don't think that they had the quality of backs to thrash teams. They didn't have the attacking flair or spark required, outside of Robinson, and perhaps Greenwood a little bit. I'd say that many countries at the time had better backlines, including Australia and NZ, and Ireland and France and maybe Wales and maybe SA if I can remember correctly.

But that England vintage pack they had was just class, easily the best in the world at the time, and maybe one of the best ever. It won them more than a few tight games. It had a real hard (some might say dirty) edge to it too, that no doubt worried a few teams.

M

Muttonbird

And to prove a point . Reason writes: .."McCaw has been another good example during the opening games of the Rugby Championship. The master has been clearly outplayed by Hooper, Australia's outstanding player, but no-one will admit it"
But the stats tell a different story; from ROAR
".In 153 minutes of rugby over the two matches so far this season McCaw had 115 involvements (17 carries, 32 attempted tackles, 39 attacking rucks and 27 defensive rucks) whereas Hooper played 156 minutes and had 64 involvements (10 carries, 12 attempted tackles, 25 attacking rucks and 17 defensive rucks). McCaw’s involvements over the two matches were 80% higher than that of Hooper"

Actual stats will not change this forum's opinion of Richie McCaw. McCaw bashing is central to the marketing campaign of Green and Gold.

M

Muttonbird

Not all of us.

Cyclo, I know you are a balanced observer of the game but there is still the very large McCaw-bashing ad for T-shirts in the side column which has been there for at least the three years since I first visited.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Actual stats will not change this forum's opinion of Richie McCaw. McCaw bashing is central to the marketing campaign of Green and Gold.

Dingo has gone. John O'Neill has Gone. There has been a clean out at NSW RU Committee and Tahs Board. Quade is behaving. The Brand has pulled his head in.

Not many of "the usual suspects" left to have a go at.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cyclo, I know you are a balanced observer of the game but there is still the very large McCaw-bashing ad for T-shirts in the side column which has been there for at least the three years since I first visited.
Those are a bit of a laugh. If he wasn't such a dominant figure, no-one would bother. The great man even signed one of the stubby-holders with that on it with a smile.
Some of the other stuff is pretty tired, IMO.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well fellas, I have got to watch first half of game on TV, and one thing I take back, I thought at game Lilo was the reason Wallabies backline was being bent in defence (by Nonu), gennerally it wasn't it was To'omua as they moved out on drift defence, so that one thing I am happy to be corrected on.
As an aside I had a good laugh, commentary team are going crook about ABs penalties in defence, then Falou is penalised while ABs hot on attack and Kafe says,that was a good penalty to give away, go figure huh???:p

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Those are a bit of a laugh. If he wasn't such a dominant figure, no-one would bother. The great man even signed one of the stubby-holders with that on it with a smile.
Some of the other stuff is pretty tired, IMO.

I can't imagine many tshirts would have been sold if they said "I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when McCaw is executing the core skills of a 7 to a high degree."

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
How about: I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when McCaw tests the limits of the referee's patience for ruck indiscretions to determine how far he can push the limits of the laws at the breakdown.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
How about: I'm not an alcoholic, I only drink when McCaw tests the limits of the referee's patience for ruck indiscretions to determine how far he can push the limits of the laws at the breakdown.
if you are a size 6xl its perfect

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Scoey:"Probably they key frustration from what I recall of this thread was Peyper's decision not to refer Moore's try/non-try and his subsequent lack of explanation.
Most have agreed that it was worth the referral and/or had he given a reason not to refer, the outrage would have been dramatically lessened.
What is curious to me now, is how being on one side of the argument makes one a whinger and some sort if self proclaimed expert armchair referee that shouldn't bother watching the game but somehow being on the other side makes one some sort of noble, somehow better Rugby fan that is working on improving officiating standards. That is a bit rich to say the least."

Scoey I know you posted this a couple of days ago, but you did realise the reason Moore's try was not referred was because he said Moore had picked up ball from offside position didn't you?? He did give reason for ne referral when he turned try down, if commentary team on OZ tv don't pass it on do you really think it refs fault?? I know it late with this,but just wondered as when I was finally watching on replay, I didn't hear them say anything.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Scoey:"Probably they key frustration from what I recall of this thread was Peyper's decision not to refer Moore's try/non-try and his subsequent lack of explanation.
Most have agreed that it was worth the referral and/or had he given a reason not to refer, the outrage would have been dramatically lessened.
What is curious to me now, is how being on one side of the argument makes one a whinger and some sort if self proclaimed expert armchair referee that shouldn't bother watching the game but somehow being on the other side makes one some sort of noble, somehow better Rugby fan that is working on improving officiating standards. That is a bit rich to say the least."

Scoey I know you posted this a couple of days ago, but you did realise the reason Moore's try was not referred was because he said Moore had picked up ball from offside position didn't you?? He did give reason for ne referral when he turned try down, if commentary team on OZ tv don't pass it on do you really think it refs fault?? I know it late with this,but just wondered as when I was finally watching on replay, I didn't hear them say anything.
Dan,I reside in Thailand and watched coverage with NZ commentators,who also questioned why he did not refer it to TMO.There was no mention of his reasons for not doing so.There were quite a few replays shown afterwards as well.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

Hey Dan, I have heard a few punters on here say that was the reason but it didn't come through on the effects mic on the coverage I was watching and the commentators didn't mention it either. I'm not apportioning blame in either case. If the ref gave Horwill a reason that's fine. My post was more speculating how the mess over that non try could've been minimised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Dan54 2 things:
  1. Its your fault I went and watched that game again because I have found an NZ feed on youtube.
  2. You hearing is better than mine - he does seem to speak to Moore but I'm buggered if i can tell what he's saying. he did say 3 offside but that was Franks and was the penalty he came back for.
The point is that we should not be left to speculate - and if you're right there's every justification for the refs boss (who is that now?) to issue a press release to tell us.

Status
Not open for further replies.