• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No Ben Mowen thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Well said BH. With the limited funds perhaps the ARU should look at generally only giving top ups to the top 15 to 20 players who have showed some longevity at international level. Oh hang on, they do.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Probably because there's no shred of evidence to suggest any truth to that claim....

There was an alleged lack of handshaking between the players and the captain after the victory.

I a bit surprised that morale and relationships are so fragile, something like that can (allegedly) upset the applecart.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If there was a lack of handshaking (I can tell you from personal experience Growden got quite a few things wrong in 2013 ;)) I reckon that would provide a basis for further disciplinary action because it demonstrates that the message was not understood by all who were supposed to receive it.
If you're worried about the way you got caught breaking team rules rather than that you broke team rules I don't think you've grasped why there are rules.
If link does not see it that way then the punishment was token, which I doubt.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
But who? I am happy with the way things sit, even more so now that Link has said you have to play the entire Super season before a RWC.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Talking to a Saffer work mate and he was saying we need to relax the overseas player rules, but I completely disagree still. If you're a top flight Aussie Rugby player and your priority is not to play for the Wallabies, we can manage without you.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He still has a way to go with both making the right call and managing the ref. I'd give it to White, maybe hand it to Kimlin if he comes back in 2015.

I would seriously consider Matt To'omua. Reads a game well and seems to be able to adapt to different playing strategies. He also seems to be very cool under pressure with good decision making ability. Another under consideration would be Christian Lealiifano. He is seen as a leader of the PI contingent in the squad and has been vice captain iirc. Anyway, Ben Mowen has it for 2014 as it should be.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Who gives a flying fuck of Mowen "dobbed"? He's the captain. He's responsible for discipline and representation.

Those players may not have been roaring drunk, but they are paid to do a job. As Link said: it's not a Contiki tour

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Who gives a flying fuck of Mowen "dobbed"? He's the captain. He's responsible for discipline and representation.

Those players may not have been roaring drunk, but they are paid to do a job. As Link said: it's not a Contiki tour

It all depends, doesn't it. For starters, what sort of relationship did Mowen have with his team? Was he respected as captain? Was he a genuine leader? Was he consistent?

There could be more to it than meets the eye. Or not. Only the team knows the full story. I will just say this, I cannot imagine an AB captain being accused of dobbing. Nor can I imagine most Wallaby captains ditto. A captain has to elicit respect from his team, and the team has to accept the captain's leadership.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Talking to a Saffer work mate and he was saying we need to relax the overseas player rules, but I completely disagree still. If you're a top flight Aussie Rugby player and your priority is not to play for the Wallabies, we can manage without you.

Just playing devils advocate here but in the modern professional era should we really be demanding that putting on the Gold Jersey be the number one priority of our players. I think for a lot of players, family is their priority. The wear and tear of top flight rugby these days means careers can be short, and maximizing your income during that period is important to provide a future for your family. This is a sign of the times. Just because a player wants to make more money, doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to represent their country.

To be honest I tend the think even if we allowed overseas players to be eligible for selection its unlikely they would be selected very often. Barring some injury crisis in a key position, you probably wouldn't fly NH players down for the June Tests or the Rugby Championship and logistically it would makes more sense to opt for players that are involved in the team for the whole season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It all depends, doesn't it. For starters, what sort of relationship did Mowen have with his team? Was he respected as captain? Was he a genuine leader? Was he consistent?

There could be more to it than meets the eye. Or not. Only the team knows the full story. I will just say this, I cannot imagine an AB captain being accused of dobbing. Nor can I imagine most Wallaby captains ditto. A captain has to elicit respect from his team, and the team has to accept the captain's leadership.
From my understanding
1. Not good
2. No
3. Not in that group
4. Yes

But hey thats just MY opinion

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Family reasons me thinks not, no ARU top up would be more accurate. Never will Mowen hold more value overseas then right now, as wallabies captain. With Pocock and higgers coming back as well as fardy being a better player. He was far from a walk up starter in 2015.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
You were a member of the playing group?
Slim, the reality is that people do talk and rugby circles generally inter twine somewhere along the line. Their is a possibility that people outside of the squad have heard whispers. Drew Mitchell very close with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) pretty much tweeted as much

Status
Not open for further replies.