• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No Ben Mowen thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
I will just say this, I cannot imagine an AB captain being accused of dobbing.

maybe because no AB would dare be so dismissive of their responsibilities (or fellow group members) to adopt a selfish attitude of 'fuck the team rules, I'm gonna do what I want', and then expect others to cover for him in his selfish endeavours? So NO action required at all from an AB captain?

And we get up in arms over supposed Gen Y traits of 'me first' of JOC (James O'Connor) yet think this should be a case of covering for your mates when they do something completely unacceptable?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim, the reality is that people do talk and rugby circles generally inter twine somewhere along the line. Their is a possibility that people outside of the squad have heard whispers. Drew Mitchell very close with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) pretty much tweeted as much

I don't recall Drew Mitchell tweeting about Mowen?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I don't recall Drew Mitchell tweeting about Mowen?

And if he did, I wouldn't put much stock in it if he bases his opinion allegedly on something AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has said to him. It was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s mum remember who came out criticising Link after the Dublin 6 were dealt with. It is more likely a reflection on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s reaction to being disciplined rather than commentary on the team's respect or otherwise for Ben Mowen.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
And if he did, I wouldn't put much stock in it if he bases his opinion allegedly on something AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has said to him. It was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s mum remember who came out criticising Link after the Dublin 6 were dealt with. It is more likely a reflection on AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s reaction to being disciplined rather than commentary on the team's respect or otherwise for Ben Mowen.
and rightly or wrongly AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as the most capped Wallaby on the tour wouldnt have any pull amongst playing group?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Mowen has left Aussie rugby with a public explanation that sits well with all.
Am sure there are some other reasons but they are now irrelevant and do not need to be aired.

Needless to say, he was a champion captain for the Brumbies, a fill-in captain at Wallaby level. To me he is a very very good Super 15 player and captain and should also be congratulated for his contribution to Australian Rugby (irrespective of all opinions as to his playing ability or captaincy)

Brums will find it tough this year without White and tougher in 2015 without Ben

Fill in captain? 80% win record, and the first time we won four consecutive games at international level for a very long time.

I'd say you've got your champion captain, and fill in captains mixed up.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The point im making Slim is that behind every wallaby is a few good mates from school, a few good mates from club land a few ex player mates. its not unreasonable that whilst not 100% accurate some general feedback is easily transferred. Where smoke generally fire ;) agreed?

It's not smoke I'm smelling right now..........

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
It's not smoke I'm smelling right now....
Right oh champ believe what you want. Had quite a few dealings with Ben personally through his time at my club a few years back and I really liked the bloke, hard worker off the field. Not trying to character assainate the bloke just not so naive to think that it couldnt be true that he was not liked by the playing group when there is strong mail that he wasnt.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He has made a good decision for himself and his family, good luck to him. Regardless of anything else he has played and captained his country and that can never be taken away.

T

Train Without a Station

Fill in captain? 80% win record, and the first time we won four consecutive games at international level for a very long time.

Fuck mate look at it in the context. Horwll captained against the top 2 ranked teams and the Lions in 2013, Mowen captained against 3 and lost, then teams ranked below 5, some outside the top 10. I'm not knocking his captaincy chops but you're fucking cherry picking stats.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
and rightly or wrongly AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as the most capped Wallaby on the tour wouldnt have any pull amongst playing group?

I'm sure he would have, and if he has his nose out of joint, he probably can influence a few of them to his point of view, including his old mate Mitchell. But if that happened, I would not be sorry to see him lose his spot to someone who is willing to toe Link's line and show loyalty to both the team and the captain.

I think until someone can post something definitive about Ben Mowen being disliked, than that line should be put to bed.

T

Train Without a Station

This seems to be spiralling out of control. It's either people saying Ben Mowen is the greatest captain we have ever had and it's ridiculous that a long term Wallaby captain would be allowed to consider leaving (Ok, I'm exaggerating), and people saying he's unliked and unrespected by the players, fuck him, he's useless anyway.

When really it's somewhere in the middle. He was a good player, should have previously been a Wallaby over Dave Dennis. Was not a permanent appointment as captain. Did a good job while he was captain, and showed if he could keep his starting jersey he was a genuine option. Played some good rugby, but showed he had areas of improvement to work on to truly be effective at test level. To say he has been notably better than Higginbotham as an international, ignores Mowen's own shortcomings as a player, and the fact that one played something like 10 consecutive international games, whilst the other has come off the bench, missed out due to injury, popped up again and had sporadic appearances in his international career also.

I'm a little bit concerned about people gushing about him as a 6 due to his pressure he put on the Lions halfbacks. If that's what it takes to be a great international 6, give Link my number, I've been the biggest pest to halfbacks in Australian lower grade rugby.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This seems to be spiralling out of control. It's either people saying Ben Mowen is the greatest captain we have ever had and it's ridiculous that a long term Wallaby captain would be allowed to consider leaving (Ok, I'm exaggerating), and people saying he's unliked and unrespected by the players, fuck him, he's useless anyway.

When really it's somewhere in the middle. He was a good player, should have previously been a Wallaby over Dave Dennis. Was not a permanent appointment as captain. Did a good job while he was captain, and showed if he could keep his starting jersey he was a genuine option. Played some good rugby, but showed he had areas of improvement to work on to truly be effective at test level. To say he has been notably better than Higginbotham as an international, ignores Mowen's own shortcomings as a player, and the fact that one played something like 10 consecutive international games, whilst the other has come off the bench, missed out due to injury, popped up again and had sporadic appearances in his international career also.

I'm a little bit concerned about people gushing about him as a 6 due to his pressure he put on the Lions halfbacks. If that's what it takes to be a great international 6, give Link my number, I've been the biggest pest to halfbacks in Australian lower grade rugby.
spot on

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Maybe we need a poll:

a) Greatest captain since Eales
b) Fill in captain
c) Growden dobbing conspiracy
d) None of the above

I vote d)

M

Muttonbird

Yep, Mowen might not be popular with the shirts-off instagram set but he lead the Wallabies to much needed and unlikely wins.

M

Muttonbird

Unlikely wins? Of the 5 games of the EOYT, the Wallabies were only outsiders in the England match.
That's true. But consistency has been the problem - losing to Scotland and shipping 33 vs France in recent years. None of this happenend on Mowen's watch.

Could very well have beaten the Lions with him in charge IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.