• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No Ben Mowen thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muttonbird

Fascinating that this topic doesn't get more interest compared to the Reds/Waratahs/Rebels 2014 threads. Confirms to me anyway that the support base in Australia is club and state driven rather than national.

As I said, Interesting.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wilson's article on Marshall completely jumped the shark. She took a player who has been close to universally liked in rugby league both on and off the field and reinvented history on the matter.

I'm a Tigers fan and I'm not bitter about him leaving. I think it was in everyone's best interests. I still think he will ultimately end up in the rugby league world as a commentator because he is one of the few players of his generation who is funny, intelligent and engaging.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fascinating that this topic doesn't get more interest compared to the Reds/Waratahs/Rebels 2014 threads. Confirms to me anyway that the support base in Australia is club and state driven rather than national.

As I said, Interesting.

It had devolved into a tennis match between "Mowen is the worst player to ever wear the G&G" and "Mowen is the best player to ever live and we are screwed now". All the discussion has been had.

T

TOCC

As I said, Interesting.

Well the international season is over and Super Rugby trials are only a month away.
There are a multiple of threads related to the Wallabies, compared to one thread for each super rugby team.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think part of the reason why there hasn't been a massive amount of discussion is that Mowen was so forthright with setting his story straight. There is little to speculate about or question whether something more was behind it.

There are of course a few conspiracy theories as always but on the whole there isn't a lot of mystery to the issue.

Mowen hasn't really been a polarising character either which always leads to more discussion. Sure some people don't think he is the greatest Wallaby ever, but as far as his character is concerned, most people like him.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I think part of the reason why there hasn't been a massive amount of discussion is that Mowen was so forthright with setting his story straight. There is little to speculate about or question whether something more was behind it.

There are of course a few conspiracy theories as always but on the whole there isn't a lot of mystery to the issue.

Mowen hasn't really been a polarising character either which always leads to more discussion. Sure some people don't think he is the greatest Wallaby ever, but as far as his character is concerned, most people like him.

I don't know if he set the story straight but rather just put his side of the story out there.

While I'm sure that the family reasons had a large bearing on his decision, I wonder if he would still be going to France if the ARU had offered him a top-up contract.

My thinkinging is that it was about the money. The money wasn't enough for him to sacrifice the family time. That's onbviously his choice and good on him - I wish him all the best and he's probably done the right thing but I do think it's disingenuous to say that it's was all about the family.

I mite be wrong - maybe he would have turned the ARU down....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it's more to do with a 30 year old player leaving. Hardly anything concerning, the All Blacks and Springboks lose much younger players overseas than the Wallabies do.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't know if he set the story straight but rather just put his side of the story out there.

what more do you want from the bastard? an admission to guilt for every conspiracy theory out there, including being the sole perpetrator of the global warming conspiracy?

he has made a clear statement about his intentions and his reasons, well in advance of the season to allow for appropriate team/succession planning.

so i'll ask again - what more do you want from him?

M

Muttonbird

Well the international season is over and Super Rugby trials are only a month away.
There are a multiple of threads related to the Wallabies, compared to one thread for each super rugby team.

Yeah, but Summer or not, your incumbent and very successful test captain has just done a runner. Hardly a feather ruffled though.

M

Muttonbird

No I'm not. There's been precious little to celebrate since the 2011 Tri-Nations and when they manage to string four wins together for the first time since 2008 and finally the hammer goes down on the late night partying, suddenly a key member of that resurgence retires.

I'd want answers.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mowen is technically the incumbent captain but there's little substance to it. Firstly in 2014 Mowen would struggle to even make the 23 with Palu and Higginbotham fit and he was only picked as captain ahead of Genia and Horwill because both of them had poor form and were told to concentrate on themselves. I'd put Mowen behind Pocock, Horwill and Genia right now if he even made the team. Calling him a very successful test captain is superficial, he won games against 4 teams he was expected to and lost against the one he wasn't. Since when did a captain get so much credit for the team winning anyway? He was never a high performing player on the tour as well. In just about every game except Italy he was outplayed by Hooper and Fardy.

Mowen is hardly the main man responsible for turning around the Wallabies form, more to do with Link's game plan finally coming together with time.

Like I said before, he's leaving at 30 years old and is a fringe Test player. There's nothing too concerning at all. NZ and SA lose much younger players overseas.

M

Muttonbird

Blimey, you can't take a win!

Not Hooper nor Fardy were captain. Being captain is hard. Ask James Horwill. Genia's a good player but couldn't captain his way out of a paper bag. Horwill can't play, let alone lead, when he's a bit sore. Palu is made of glass. Higginbotham is an average player, a thug, and not worth the card risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.