• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

No Ben Mowen thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I wouldn't have called him a thug. He's more likely to do that niggly little shit and try to get away with the small digs by trying to make it look accidental than straight up spearing someone or throwing a punch in the open.

That's just my take on him..

His not a thug.. He is just a red head

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Regardless of what you think about his skills as a player and captain, history will record Ben as the 80th Captain of the Wobs, and you will need to make 30000 posts on these boards to be awarded "Ben Mowen" status.

Bloody hell. Only 27,500 posts to go!

M

Muttonbird

Muttobird is clearly looking for some bites, but to be fair this just seems like the equally absurd polar opposite argument...

This is such an exaggeration, but I think a lot of people have forgotten that over the past few years Higginbotham has not been a very good test player.....

Mowen hardly set the world alight, but his form in the Lions series and in a couple of matches on the EOYT was an improvement on anything Higginbotham has offered up in test rugby...

I don't mean to write off Higgers' potential, but so far he is the Adam Thomson of Australian rugby...

Looking for answers, not bites. Ben Mowen has improved late in his career with added responsibility and momentum was building. The ARU dropped the ball on this one I think (it's not like Aussie is over-run with talent in the pack). What baffles me is McKenzie didn't bat harder for him.

M

Muttonbird

If Higginbotham is a thug for one act of foul play on Richie what does that make Nonu, Mealamu, Woodcock and Owen Franks?
Yes I was thinking of that incident. It was at a time when every man and his dog was having a go at McCaw off the ball with the idea you could throw the ABs off their game by doing so.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This can be summed up with one question Muttenbird.

Would you swap him for Kieren Read?

As for why I'm not worried about him leaving. He rubbed me the wrong way. I can't tell you why but that's the truth. I'm , personally, not upset to see him go.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Looking for answers, not bites. Ben Mowen has improved late in his career with added responsibility and momentum was building. The ARU dropped the ball on this one I think (it's not like Aussie is over-run with talent in the pack). What baffles me is McKenzie didn't bat harder for him.

The fact that just about every Australian supporter feels differently to you may indicate something, but I'm not too sure what, exactly.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's an exaggeration to say he never gets on the field, but there is no denying that he has been injured quite a lot since 2010/2011.

Yeah but a lot of people seem to dismiss Palu purely because he's going to be injured yet have Higgers as a shoo-in.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah but a lot of people seem to dismiss Palu purely because he's going to be injured yet have Higgers as a shoo-in.
Indeed. Pocock too is a lock for many. We should accept that players get injured. Even ones we like to think won't. Sure, Palu has had more than his share, but his time on the park for the Wallabies in recent years has been important.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
While I agree with Mowens reasons etc and wish him the best in the future,I would tend to disagree with people who say it's not too bad a loss. I personally think players like Mowen are very good role models for younger players in super teams, I am sure with his work ethics etc a few younger players at Brumbies would of learnt a bit for him, even to show that maybe not having the most natural talent etc can be be overcome by good attitude and hard work.

M

Muttonbird

The fact that just about every Australian supporter feels differently to you may indicate something, but I'm not too sure what, exactly.

Not this guy.

In June 2013, former Wallaby, Stephen Larkham stated that after some doubts Mowen has turned out to be one of the best leaders he has ever encountered.

This is what I'm trying to get at here. Some players respond in different ways and at different times in their careers. Mowen looked to be on the up. The other captaincy trials in the past few months hadn't works and the captaincy had taken away from their game. Why not continue with a guy who had, in Larkham's words, flourished with the responsibility? You then let those other players concentrate on their game without the added burden of leading on and off the field.

As for comparisons with George Whitelock, that's silly. He might be as good as Mowen but he's competing with a higher grade of player for test spots. He's not lead a test team to 4/5 wins in Europe. He's not twice lead a Super Rugby team to their best results in nearly a decade.

Sully, give some examples of what "you can't put your finger on". I haven't seen much media of Mowen.

M

Muttonbird

For the record it was Train Without a Station who said George Whitelock is as good as Mowen, not me. Smaller, for a start.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Bullrush, with both injury free I very much doubt Ben will outplay them in Super Rugby. There's a reason why the bloke hasn't done so yet (barring injuries to Palu and Higginbotham), they are simply more talented footballers.

Ben's a hard worker whose graft has been handy, but you can't go giving out top ups to blokes who are likely 3rd in line for a position, the money isn't there.

The ARU should not regret letting him go, they may end up needing him perhaps, but with limited money to contract players, so a limited available, he doesn't quite warrant it.

Prioritising Mowen would be aiming for mediocrity (That's a little harsh, but the best word I could think of). I'd rather we prioritise the best so we can strive to be the best barring injury, than make safe contractual decisions which will never get us to Number 1.

You may be correct rating Ben No3 at No 8, but I would contend he is still No2 at No 6. It only needs one injury to any of Fardy, Higgers or Palu and Ben would have been right in the running again for either a starting or bench spot. I don't think he would stay for the money, but if he had stayed I could see him getting quite a lot of Wallabies' game time this year and next.

M

Muttonbird

How would you know how hard link went in to bat for Mowen?

Or is this just your opinion based on what you feel must have happened?

I just think the people at the ARU who made the financial decisions would have had a long consultation with Link on this. Seems reasonable doesn't it?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Absolutely, but it's also hard to find 6s and 8s who haven't had a lot of injuries.

As has been mentioned, Higginbotham missed plenty of rugby in 2012 and 2013.

McCalman and Brown have both had multiple serious injuries in the last few years.

McMeniman is broken more than he is healthy.

Dennis and Mowen have managed to remain fairly injury free (or played through injury in the case of Mowen).

It has also been hard to find 6s and 8s who are up to test standard. IMO none of McCalman, Brown or Dennis has risen consistently to the required standard. If we are without Fardy, Higgers and/or Palu due injury and Mowen being not available, we will be scratching for good players at 6 and 8 until Auelua, Jones and Cotterell are given a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.