• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemishpere Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
There seems to be some social media whispers that the French are going to perform a spectacular about turn on the PRL this week, could be an interesting week in the whole dispute.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
There seems to be some social media whispers that the French are going to perform a spectacular about turn on the PRL this week, could be an interesting week in the whole dispute.

PRL will be completely isolated and the RFU will not have had to get involved, there will be some relief in Twickers.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Welsh regions to meet to discuss shortfall in revenue if HC doesn't go ahead next season.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/28/welsh-heineken-cup-crisis

Could be just a shakedown to wrangle more money out of the WRU. McCafferty and his cabal seem to think the Welsh are the weakest link of the Celtic/Italian Block.

The Arch Troll Stephen Jones keeps rolling out the line that Leinster have more or less signed up to McCafferty vision.

I refuse to read anything that prick says but he must be delusional if he thinks Leinster are going to break ranks, they are the IRFU, plain and simple. Honestly the English press is absurd on all of this.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Sam Warburton's agent is saying that Cardiff are unable to make a new contract offer to him (his contract runs out at end of season) due to uncertainties over next years budget, caused by the mess with HEC etc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24322797

Cardiff wouldn't be too disappointed to lose him I think, he rarely plays due to injury and when he does he holds himself back at the best of times and mostly looks like he couldn't be bothered. The pundits call it "turning up on the big occasion" apparently. Halfpenny is the one they need to pull out all the stops to keep

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Some more information coming out about the French plans, the FFR could be planning to enter regional teams into next years comp

However, Midi Olympique yesterday cited “several sources” in speculating that the FFR will announce, in the next few days, a hardening of its stance in opposition to the LNR’s attempts to forge a new breakaway competition and, what’s more, if the Top 14 clubs refuse to take part in the Heineken Cup, they will look to enter regional teams from outside the LNR umbrella.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rug...ll-open-to-resolve-european-impasse-1.1545438

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great stance from the FFR, if the RFU weren't so scared of upsetting the teams they'd do something similar with Championship teams and this whole thing would be over by now.

Expect them to keep their mouth shut and let the other unions clear up their mess for them. They'll keep their uneasy truce with their clubs through the RWC then something else will crop up and they'll have to act.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The PRL gobshites have gone quiet. Plenty of appeasement from the celtitalians about qualification, as if that is really an issue. Fingers crossed the CeltItalians are holding their nerve.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The PRL gobshites have gone quiet. Plenty of appeasement from the celtitalians about qualification, as if that is really an issue. Fingers crossed the CeltItalians are holding their nerve.

Their mouthpiece in the Guardian Paul Rees said in The Breakdown this week that the Celtic nations needed to stop doing their negotiating in public. Nearly spat my coffee out this morning reading it, a ridiculous statement if their ever was one

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Munster team to face Leinster at the weekend announced:

Munster team to face Leinster: (15-9) Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; (1-8)Dave Kilycoyne, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Donncha Ryan, Paul O'Connell; Peter O'Mahony Capt., Niall Ronan, James Coughlan.
Replacements: (16-23) Damien Varley, James Cronin, BJ Botha, Donncha O'Callaghan, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.

Leinster will be targetting the front row in the scrums and the half backs I think, it has the makings of a top quality game, although it calls into question the integrity of the whole Rabo league that BJ Botha and Conor Murray are being rested and is no doubt behind the Irish plot to dominate European rugby.:rolleyes:

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Munster team to face Leinster at the weekend announced:

Munster team to face Leinster: (15-9) Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Casey Laulala, James Downey, Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams; (1-8)Dave Kilycoyne, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Donncha Ryan, Paul O'Connell; Peter O'Mahony Capt., Niall Ronan, James Coughlan.
Replacements: (16-23) Damien Varley, James Cronin, BJ Botha, Donncha O'Callaghan, CJ Stander, Conor Murray, JJ Hanrahan, Denis Hurley.

Leinster will be targetting the front row in the scrums and the half backs I think, it has the makings of a top quality game, although it calls into question the integrity of the whole Rabo league that BJ Botha and Conor Murray are being rested and is no doubt behind the Irish plot to dominate European rugby.:rolleyes:

I think the front row battle will be more even than most people think, Archer has been playing very well so far this season, two penalty tries already I think and the power coming through from Paulie and Predator Ryan is considerable.I don't indulge in the bitching about high tower, I think he has great hands and is very mobile but he does not provide a lot of ballast. BJ Botha had to be on the bench after being out for the last month but it is a bit disappointing for John Ryan who has been very good in the last month. With Moore playing so well for Leinster, Lutton and Fitzpatrick up north, we are at last producing some tight heads. We won't be entirely dependent on the penguin for too much longer thank God.

Sherry has the most consistent line out throw of any hooker I have seen play since Jerry Flannery, it is fast and flat and at times impossible to attack.

The only thing I don't really like is Laulala ahead of Earls, Keith was excellent against the Dragon's in the thirteen channel and I would love to have seen him up against BOD.

Murray got injured at Camp Joe a couple of weeks ago otherwise he would be starting. Duncan Williams has been stronger this season but I think it is very tight with Sheridan for the 21 jersey.

Anyway, good to see a squad with three NIQs, and only one in the team. I suspect the Leinster team could be without an NIQ and possibly only one, Gopperth, in the whole panel.

Going to miss the game but have discovered a way to fool the RTE player into thinking I am in Ireland so I should be able to watch a recording, should make for interesting viewing.

EDIT much heat over Ronan starting and CJ on the bench. Theories about fall outs etc and all the usual bollix. Really think it is much more simple than that, Penney ball depends on a proper flyer of a seven, POM has bulked up hugely over the summer and is now a 6/8 who, in a dire emergency, can do a job at 7. CJ is a 6/8 as well. Personally hope, fingers crossed, that Coughlan can be subbed after 50 minutes with CJ going to 6 and POM to 8.

In an Irish context it will be very interesting to see what St Joe does in the back row; I suspect the best option for the AIs is 6 POM, 7 SOB, 8 Heaslip. Come the six nations is it possible we could be looking at 6 SOB, 7 TOD, 8 POM? Henderson could enter equations as well of course. This is really a good old fashioned trial game in many positions, should be great.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
LEINSTER:
15: Rob Kearney
14: Fergus McFadden
13: Lote Tuqiri
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Dave Kearney
10: Ian Madigan
9: Eoin Reddan
1: Cian Healy
2: Sean Cronin
3: Mike Ross
4: Mike McCarthy
5: Devin Toner
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN
REPLACEMENTS:
16: Aaron Dundon
17: Jack McGrath
18: Martin Moore
19: Rhys Ruddock
20: Dominic Ryan
21: Isaac Boss
22: Jimmy Gopperth
23: Luke Fitzgerald

Amazed by that team, hope BOD is not injured. Very frustrated that there are two NIQs at 13, should imagine St Joe would be far from amused as well.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Strauss has a concussion apparently, haven't hear anything on BOD. Both sides will probably be targetting the 13's in defence, delighted to see Luke Fitz back hopefully he can get a run at 13 at some stage in the game

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Munster won 19-15. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet as it is not up on RTE player yet, Can't wait. Kearney snr went awol defensively again for the Earl's try which is on the rabo highlights reel. Really would not have a lot of confidence in playing for Ireland at this stage, his defensive game has fallen off a cliff IMHO.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Worried about Leinsters trip to the Ospreys, they need to get SOB and Heaslip back in top form, worried about our front 5 as well their ability to generate quick ball and disrupt the opposition has been key to the way Leinsters success in recent years. Jonno Gibbes will have a long week to get the pack right for Saturday

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I watched Ospreys against Ulster on friday and was surprised at how under powered the Os were. Their lineout wobbled a bit as well. I still haven't seen our game, cmon rte player, but the lack of power in the second row is a big issue for Leinster on what I have seen this term. They need Cullen and BOD back for Swansea, desperately.

I also watched a lot of the Glasgow V Scarlets game, Glasgow's set piece can be attacked, their scrum struggled, so it will be interesting to see how we get on at the end of this month against them.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Richardt Strauss' season is over, he's been diagnosed with a heart condition and needs an operation. Best of luck to him for his surgery and recovery.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Richardt Strauss' season is over, he's been diagnosed with a heart condition and needs an operation. Best of luck to him for his surgery and recovery.

All the best to Strauss, I hope they can sort him out. Fortunately, in an Irish context, Mick Sherry has held his hand up very high. I wonder if Leinster will bring in an NIQ for a season?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
After nearly a week of silence the PRL have decided to raise their heads again

"We are pushing on with arrangements for the Champions' Cup," PRL chief executive Mark McCafferty told the Rugby Paper. "We have various meetings with the French clubs over the next ten days.We will also be talking to the Welsh regions during the coming week to get further clarification of their position.
"They probably do want to be part of the Champions' Cup but there are various issues to be discussed. Ultimately, they need to decide for themselves with the Welsh Rugby Union. I have sympathy for their position. Various teams from different countries would like to join and are in the process of deciding."

The WRUs response was very interesting, in relation to what would happen to their regions if they broke away and played in the Super Duper Rugby "Champions" Cup

"They'd not be receiving the monies off the Welsh Rugby Union, they would not have insurance off the Welsh Rugby Union for their players and they would not have any referees."

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ruan Pienaar has signed a new 3 year contract with Ulster, so will not be moving to Toulon as speculated.

Status
Not open for further replies.