• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think Saracens have anything for Munster to fear over there in January. I also think we will win both games V Clermont whose pack are getting very long in the tooth.

So far, I've noticed that the English teams don't seem to have the fitness needed to finish off a second half. That should be worrisome to Lancaster -- they're not powerful enough to out-muscle the French club sides, nor the South Africans or New Zealanders when they come up, and they don't have the fitness to finish out a game.

I'm not sure the French sides do, either, but they're strong enough and generally deep enough to make that less of an issue.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
And James O'Connor just took over at fly half for Matt Giteau. Let's see how he reads the game from that far up. #2013Lions

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah well I'm a student so I have zero time unfortunately. Though I'm watching Ulster V Toulon, which is an alright game so far.

That's not live here on Setanta Australia (Millwall is playing Cardiff); so I have to watch that one before Scarlets v Leicester, which is live.

I'd better get out of this thread before I start reading spoilers.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Brand has played well in the first half IMO, still looks like he enjoys being the saviour and taking the line on every time, but it works every now and then.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Super Rugby will always lack the drama of the Top14 because you don't have two teams dropping out every year, and the interest in who is being relegated can be more intriguing than the fight to win the comp.

If your Super team is near the bottom in the second half of the season there's not nearly as much interest as for a Top14 fan if their team is in that position - every game is like life or death.

It's the same in the EP but you don't have famous English clubs, like Biarritz and Perpignan in France, being relegated, so often.
I'm of two minds about that. It certainly adds ready-made drama, but when relegation really starts to matter, it's winter and the pitches are heavy, and those "win or be relegated" games can become slogs.

You don't want to see a team like Harlequins decide since it could mean they drop a division they'll just shut down their off-loading game, because without that, they don't offer much (at least this season). The threat of relegation creates inherent drama, but also hamstrings the teams at the bottom of the table, and makes mid-level teams question their tactics against bottom-dwellers, lest they lose to a relegationable side.

I think I'd prefer something like relegation happening every two or three years, or making sure there are play-off games with the D2 teams that are trying to rise up. Anything to keep them from shutting the rugby down.

On balance I think I prefer relegation, but I'd prefer it to be tweak to promote better play.

The standard of the Pro12 is not as high as the EP or T14 but I enjoy watching Munster, Leinster and Ulster play especially against each other.

But when Ireland, Wales and Scotland put their players into camp for test matches the standard of play in the Pro12, is ordinary; so I usually give it a miss in those weeks.
Partly that's to do league depth, and partly that's to do with team depth. The Italian sides are still finding their feet, and it may take another five years before they're regularly mid-table competitors. The Welsh have their own internal political house they keep burning down, so it's no wonder their best players keep flying off to the T14 and the EP and leaving the regions thin. And Scotland hobbled itself years ago when it got rid of the borderlands and decided to focus all of the rugby in places where soccer reigns supreme and most people never even see a rugby game. Watching Edinburgh play in a cavernous Murrayfield is just... sad.

By the time the internationals come around, there isn't enough depth in those clubs to really field a solid team -- and the Welsh sides are also playing in the LV Cup. It may just take some seasoning and maturity for that to come around; Glasgow's certainly making a good go of it. But if the Irish sides keep performing well, we might see the English and French decide the ERC is unfair and the PRO12 needs to be tweaked to allow more Scottish and Italian sides in and fewer sides from across the Irish Sea.

And there is nothing like the ERC (old Heineken Cup) in this neck of the woods. High drama every week for six weeks in the pool games - every one a must win.

Yep. I'd say level of competition in the I Can't Believe It's Not the Heineken Cup ERC is somewhere between Super Rugby and Test-level. Teams really seem to step it up come European competition, and it's exciting as hell. Very few games are treated as gimme games, even when they could be. That said, I'd say the leagues in Europe are a step below Super Rugby, except maybe the clashes at the top of the tables for play-off positions. Outside of Leinster, Munster and Glasgow, you rarely see consistently scything running rugby in games that matter and don't. The T14 and EP tend to promote power over skill, and they can afford to do that with more money than everyone and rosters 40 deep littered with South Africans.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
"Delon the Villain strikes again." Wayne Barnes knows a high tackle, but forgot what forward passes look like.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Brand has played well in the first half IMO, still looks like he enjoys being the saviour and taking the line on every time, but it works every now and then.

Probably should clarify that. He's going great as a winger who happens to be first receiver an awful lot.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Ulster has some glaring Pienaar, Trimble, Tuohy and Henderson-shaped holes that are starting to really matter. But if boots to the head are going to be okay by Barnes, they should take advantage of that.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Jeeeeeez, Ulster looking good to score, slightly inaccurate pass and Armitage picks it out of the air and runs the length of the field to score.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Leicester played like if they couldn't win the game, no one would. Scarlets played well enough to pick Leicester off, but I bet the damage they sustained hurts them in the upcoming PRO 12 matches.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Bad weekend for the English teams in their new pooper scooper cup. Only two wins and one of them was from an all English tie. A lot of the English teams just look unfit. The stupid format and 'seeding' which left three semi finalists from the last two years of the Heineken cup in the same group means that two of the five groups are now two horse races. It looks highly likely that only one of Munster, Saracens and Clermont will progress while both of Harlequins and Leinster, who have both been shite, look like progressing. So much for 'meritocracy'. Will doubly incentivise Munster though as winning our group will put us through and send the worst of all the Nigels, Saracens, packing. Personally, I think Munster are going to win all six games and earn a home QF, there is a level of bitterness about that is a joy to behold. EDIT so after 1/3 of the pool stages of the pooper scooper cup, I doubt if you would find a bookie who would lay you odds on 7 out of the 8 quarter finalists. Certain to qualify are Toulon, Harlequins, Leinster, Toulouse and Glasgow. 90% sure Racing and Northampton. Really the only doubt is over Munster, Saracens and Clermont who are all in the same group, well done the English.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
I think Munster are going to win all six games and earn a home QF, there is a level of bitterness about that is a joy to behold.

Bloody well hope so, but that'll be extremely hard. The group is all even now. Sarries home BP win against Clermont makes up for there lack of one in Thomond. And what a result that was on a side note - not the fact that Munster won, more so that Munster have a clear try disallowed and Keatley missed four or five kicks. Munster's final tally should of been 20+ that of Sarries.

Clermont are hard to judge right now. In Thomond if Munster play anywhere near like they did against Sarries Clermont could well be denied a bonus point. Even so Clermont are a mixed bag an can be awful travellers but at the same time can travel in surprising form if needed. They are still strong in the Michelin but the ground is not the daunting fixture of last year - theres a definite sense that Clermont aren't the untamable beast of yesteryears, and that their home ground isn't unconquerable as two teams have beaten them there in the past 5 months.

By far the most interesting group. Can't wait for the double headers coming up this December!

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
A lot of the English teams just look unfit. The stupid format and 'seeding' which left three semi finalists from the last two years of the Heineken cup in the same group means that two of the five groups are now two horse races.
So just out of curiosity, if the seeding was more sensible, would this still be the pooper-scooper cup for you, or would it graduate to the trash bin cup or the used-tea-bag cup? It's certainly a more intense competition than previous years, and on balance, the games overall are of a better standard than you're getting in the respective leagues (meaning you'll get, say, 85% competitive games vs 70% competitive games in the leagues).

No argument on the English fitness, though, which is weird and should have Lancaster concerned. To me, it seems like they're over-focusing on strength and power over fitness, and that's not going to serve them in the end -- just look at how man Rugby Championship games were won and lost in the final 10 minutes, or final 10 seconds. The fitter sides win those contests.

The French aren't much better than the English when it comes to fitness, but they're just a bit more powerful overall, and have more depth on the bench. Ulster didn't do enough to threaten Toulon, but many of their threats are also on the injured reserve list -- you wonder what that game would have been like with Pienaar, Tuohy, Henderson and Trimble on the pitch. But the other French matches didn't show much more than what the English have to offer -- power games that can be beaten by fitness, as Glasgow showed against Montpellier. The biggest problem the PRO12 teams have right now is accuracy and performing their skills at pace. Compare the lines Glasgow is running to Leinster's; when a Glasgow ball-carrier receives the ball, it's usually at pace and they hit the line with some speed, whereas the Leinster lines are a lot less fluid and stuttering (but they have the potential to get it all together).

But oh, the Munster game was sweeeeeeeeet. Ben Kay's complaining that Stander was flopping after a clear tip-tackle were also kind of fun; whatever he needs to do to justify the loss in his own mind. Let's see how the return trip goes, because a confident Munster is a hard Munster to beat anywhere.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
But oh, the Munster game was sweeeeeeeeet. Ben Kay's complaining that Stander was flopping after a clear tip-tackle were also kind of fun; whatever he needs to do to justify the loss in his own mind. Let's see how the return trip goes, because a confident Munster is a hard Munster to beat anywhere.

That may have been Dallaglio, but your point about Pommie co-commentators is true—and Ben Kay was certainly in full moan in Bath v. Toulouse.

By contrast Will Greenwood is OK.

Incidentally I did a blog on some of the matches yesterday but ran out of time to watch and report on all of them:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/european-rugby-champions-cup-round-two/

And you were right mizzie: the Munster win was sweet.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
That may have been Dallaglio, but your point about Pommie co-commentators is true—and Ben Kay was certainly in full moan in Bath v. Toulouse.
Nope, that was Ben Kay -- I went a round with him on twitter over it. Here's the conversation I first saw that left me a little incredulous -- claiming Stander was diving.

I don't know how you dive when you're getting cleaned out of a ruck upside-down on your neck. At least for me, this little incident has fueled my desire to see the Saracens lose the close ones and flop on the ones they should win. And I hope all of the Munster players see those tweets before the return trip to the plastic pitch. They shouldn't need the motivation, but there are people on the east side of the Irish Sea who think the only reason Saracens lost is because Stander took a dive, which drew the yellow card, which cost Sarries the game. Not that they just got out-played -- not possible.

It's tooth-grindingly irritating, like the parents who complain to refs and teachers when their kid doesn't get to start or get an A, despite not earning that honor.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
BOD's apparently been having unofficial one on one training sessions with a certain Irish player. A fair few people are touting its Henshaw. If this is the case its likes Payne will be on the bench as utility (if R. Kearney recovers from injury that is, or else he'll likely start at 15) with Henshaw coming in at 13.

Thats probably the best option, Payne is quite average as a 13 (even if quite a talented fullback), particularly in distribution. Henshaw on the other hand has the potential to really fulfill Irelands centre issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.