• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How did he do it?

According to Plant Rugby, "The New Zealander broke his arm in an innocuous tackle midway through the first half with his side up 12-0."

A bit like Non'u v the Bokke, then.

Interesting that he's described as an NZer given he also qualifies for Australia, England & one of the PI (can't recall which ATM).

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Nah. If ever there was a game to start someone in, its a home game, before an international break, against a crap side, made even crappier by missing 20 players.

Maybe for someone who knows the game, but a beginner?

I JUST WANT LEINSTER TO GET ITS HOUSE IN ORDER.

It's too bad Joe Schmidt can't coach a club and a country like Michael Cheika... we need that global season to separate out the club season from the internationals.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Think young Furlong should be called up by St Joe, he is a beast of a player. Longer term Wiehahn Herbst will be involved as soon as he qualifies for Ireland, he has minced every LHP he has played against and, just like Furlong he does tonnes around the pitch as well.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Read that in the Indo given the source I'd take it with a pinch of salt

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Ireland team to face South Africa (Aviva Stadium; 17:30)

15. Rob Kearney
14. Tommy Bowe
13. Jared Payne
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Simon Zebo
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray
1. Jack McGrath
2. Sean Cronin
3. Mike Ross
4. Devin Toner
5. Paul O’Connell (capt.)
6. Peter O’Mahony
7. Chris Henry
8. Jamie Heaslip
Replacements:
16. Richardt Strauss
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Mike McCarthy
20. Rhys Ruddock
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Ian Madigan
23. Felix Jones

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Toner ahead of Foley was contentious, McCarthy ahead of Foley is fucking ludicrous. Ruddock is the very essence of a flat track bully who doesn't perform at pooper scooper cup level leave alone against the Bokke. Cronin cannot throw in or hook, for all he offers in midfield, Ross is not fit and why the fuck Felix is on the bench, as pleased as I am for him, with Kearney, Payne, Henshaw, Zebo and Madigan in the squad who can all play FB is lost on me. And just for good measure, Marmion is overlooked again for a man who has proved time and again that he is not up to international standard; I wish Schmidt had gone the whole hog and started Reddan to protect Murray, if I am honest. The only hope I have for this game is that there aren't too many injuries to Irish and especially Munster players. Bokke by 30+

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geez I was told there was a mass injury crisis. It doesn't look that bad. Only Healy, Best and O'Brien out in the pack right? What's Donnacha Ryan done, seems to have been injured for ages. Isn't that a full strength backline too?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Geez I was told there was a mass injury crisis. It doesn't look that bad. Only Healy, Best and O'Brien out in the pack right? What's Donnacha Ryan done, seems to have been injured for ages. Isn't that a full strength backline too?
Ryan has had all sorts of issues, the latest of which is a foot problem. Hopefully he is going to be back in the New year. McGrath isn't 100% fit we are told, getting excuses in early? James Cronin wouldn't have been selected ahead of McGrath anyway, even if, like Kilcoyne he is in much better form and is a better scrummager. Ross has not played in a month and Strauss is only just back. Sexton has his usual hamstring issues, D'Arcy has had calf issues which is why he is not selected and there is a suspicion that Felix Jones is on the bench because Kearney isn't 100%.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Oh and don't forget Daverage Kearney and Andy Trimble were both ahead of Zebo last year and they are injured. Some consider the idea Daverage is better than Zebo in a single area of wing play a bit, ahem, unusual but not St Joe.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The only omission I can agree with you on PP is Foley, this is the idea game to give him 20 minutes off the bench to see what he can do. McCarthy is a busted flush at international level but realistically neither would be in the 23 if we had a fully fit pack to pick from. I still expect Foley to get a substantial run out against Georgia.

Zebo is a far more talented rugby player than Dave Kearney but I think Joe made the right call leaving him out for the year after his, ahem, after school activities which he was allegedly none to remorseful about. He has come back a hungrier and more rounded player.

Of all the omissions I thought you'd bring up is Duncan Casey, I'd have him in the 16 shirt for this game

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
The only omission I can agree with you on PP is Foley, this is the idea game to give him 20 minutes off the bench to see what he can do. McCarthy is a busted flush at international level but realistically neither would be in the 23 if we had a fully fit pack to pick from.

I think McCarthy's pick is mainly founded on the fact he plays well against typically physical competition. He did very well against the Boks in 2012, everyone was raving about him - and that came down to it being his typical game. If he proves himself its another option for JS at international level.

B

Bobby Sands

Is Payne still an absolute weapon? It was a complete, and truly elite player when he left a few seasons back.

B

Bobby Sands

I thought he was the best 13 in Super rugby the year he left. I realise he plays 15 too.

Always really rated him, he was just stuck behind Kahui, Smith etc.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The only omission I can agree with you on PP is Foley, this is the idea game to give him 20 minutes off the bench to see what he can do. McCarthy is a busted flush at international level but realistically neither would be in the 23 if we had a fully fit pack to pick from. I still expect Foley to get a substantial run out against Georgia.

Zebo is a far more talented rugby player than Dave Kearney but I think Joe made the right call leaving him out for the year after his, ahem, after school activities which he was allegedly none to remorseful about. He has come back a hungrier and more rounded player.

Of all the omissions I thought you'd bring up is Duncan Casey, I'd have him in the 16 shirt for this game
To have called Rob Herring up to the squad ahead of Casey was beyond crazy.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Well I think some of our forwards are going to need a rest next week. Georgia will be physical but I still think we'll win without too many issues. I'd go with Kilcoyne, Strauss, Ah You, Foley, POC, Ruddock, Henry, Heaslip, Marmion, Madigan, Zebo, D'Arcy, Henshaw, Bowe, Kearney

Status
Not open for further replies.