• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby Season 14/15

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It would be great if we won the bid, however we'll face some stiff competition from Italy, South Africa and Argentina. I don't have a problem with using GAA stadia in fact, imagine the boost the game could get from say the All Blacks playing in Casement Park in West Belfast? Could be a great way to get help rugby grow in non traditional areas.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not to the point, and pardon my ignorance, but is the GAA still amateur?

The GAA were the first organisation in Ireland to approach sports in a professional way. Their administration is more professional than any other in Ireland.

They do everything for players short of paying them directly. My dad often tells stories of growing up in the 40s when kids who played GAA would be given their boots and gear by the club while you had to buy your own if you played any other sport.

Even back then senior players were given money for expenses and talented players would have jobs arranged for them by the GAA that would allow them to attend training and play matches with no fear of losing their job.

I don't think it will be too long before GAA players officially turn at least semi-pro. Sky sports have picked up both gaelic football and hurling so there's lots of new money in the game with the promise of more as sky push the sport outside of Ireland.

On top of that the GAA are facing an increasing player drain from AFL kind of a mirror of the situation in rugby but unlike the ARU the GAA is a money making machine. They don't have the biggest and most impressive stadium in Ireland (and one of the best in Europe) by accident.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
TBF, I think the talent drain has started to slow.
With the exception of one Jim Stynes, it's always been the half back Flankers whom claimed the most amount of success. To varying levels of success, but all considered competent enough to play 20+ games, Pearce Hanley, Zach Tuoey, Colm Begley, Marty Clarke, Tadgh Kennelly and the other boy who came over with Stynes (name escapes me) were all half back Flankers. Setanta O'hailpan was another exception (although he came from Hurling, so I'm saying he doesn't count). The failure of Tommy Walsh, who probably came with the most hype of any Irish player in the 20th century, has probably put off AFL clubs from bringing in the big blokes. The cherry on top is that the AFL and GAA have an agreement, that only one Irish player can be a rookie listed player, limiting the number of speculative players to 18.

As a result, most of the clubs are going for the Americans, Kiwis and "alternative athletes" which is a fancy way of saying talented sportspeople who haven't played AFL in at least 3 years and are happy to accept a low paying contract.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
GAA players have been getting a bit of "stick" in the press recently for being too professional. Some of the coaches are calling on them to go on the piss more. I really don't know how the top players make the sacrifices but hats off to them I have nothing but respect, even if my county has 100+ of glorious and not so glorious failure.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
GAA players have been getting a bit of "stick" in the press recently for being too professional.

You mean from these elder statesmen?

SPT_20131117_SPO_008_29645548_I2.JPG

stephen-hunt.png

(Does Gerry Thornley have a half-brother or love child named Stephen Hunt?)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sarries reveal another part of their master plan to change rugby so that it serves their needs above all others.

I like this bit:
"Their decisions influence the game enormously. We need to tell them the sort of game we want played - which has to be attractive to the customer."
Maybe Sarries should convey that to their coaching staff and squad before they try to tell the refs how to do their job.

(To be fair, they're marginally more entertaining on their new space-age pitch. Marginally.)

dozza

Bob McCowan (2)
Clermont vs Munster was a good game. Brilliant defence from Clermont and uncharacteristic errors from munster decided the result. Clermont are the third team to beat munster in Ireland, in the Heineken/European cup in over 50 attempts, also they are the first french team to do so.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Clermont vs Munster was a good game. Brilliant defence from Clermont and uncharacteristic errors from munster decided the result. Clermont are the third team to beat munster in Ireland, in the Heineken/European cup in over 50 attempts, also they are the first french team to do so.

There's no shame in losing to an on-point Clermont, but Munster will not be happy with the slow start and their inability to pick up the intensity until later in the second half. Thomond is looking less like a fortress these days.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
There's no shame in losing to an on-point Clermont, but Munster will not be happy with the slow start and their inability to pick up the intensity until later in the second half. Thomond is looking less like a fortress these days.

3 loses in 9 years and it looks like less of a fortress, come off it. Hardest ground out side of the AB t Eden Park to win.

Disappointed to lose, but best thing is only have to wait a week for payback.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The thing that struck me about the loss was how poor Munster were. It could have been a Pro12 game in the first 40. When they did pick it up it was too little too late.

Congrats to Clermont on a historic win they really look hungry and up for this year's competition. Munster will need to up their performance to have any chance of qualifying.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I don't really follow Northern rugby too closely but I'm spending some time in England (15-28th of December), are there any games you'd recommend going to see?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Toulon have apparently signed Etzebeth. Biggest signing in rugby if true given how close Etzebeth would be to a World XV and in his prime.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Holy fuck that's a coup if true. Not content with snapping up SH stars in their twilight years, Toulon are now snatching them in their prime.

Wonder how many more current Springboks stars will sign to these French and English clubs in the next year, given an established, incumbent, young tight forward - who you'd think would command a hefty contract from the SARU - has determined that going overseas is better than his current situation

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
3 loses in 9 years and it looks like less of a fortress, come off it. Hardest ground out side of the AB t Eden Park to win.

Disappointed to lose, but best thing is only have to wait a week for payback.
It will top the Gloucester game if Munster get out of the group now but because of the overwhelming virtue and goodness of the Munster players, coaches and supporters we are good at miracles!?!? Clermont were nearly perfect but it is very hard to replicate perfection practically and, more importantly, psychologically. Leinster beat the stains last year in stain land every bit as impressively as Clermont yesterday and lost in Dublin the following week, the same for Ulster and Leicester. Gwan Munster!!!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The thing that struck me about the loss was how poor Munster were. It could have been a Pro12 game in the first 40. When they did pick it up it was too little too late.

Congrats to Clermont on a historic win they really look hungry and up for this year's competition. Munster will need to up their performance to have any chance of qualifying.
Munster looked like a team that hadn't played together for nearly two months which they hadn't. That said, I think JJ has to be involved from the start next week. Munster made 63 tackles in that game, Clermont 129!!!!!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Holy fuck that's a coup if true. Not content with snapping up SH stars in their twilight years, Toulon are now snatching them in their prime.

Wonder how many more current Springboks stars will sign to these French and English clubs in the next year, given an established, incumbent, young tight forward - who you'd think would command a hefty contract from the SARU - has determined that going overseas is better than his current situation
If it is true then push is coming to shove for the whole game, club V country. The responsible unions, WRU, IRFU and the FFR tried to stop the clubs getting control in the NH but were stabbed in the back by certain Unions at the eleventh hour. What the RFU and, particularly, SRU sowed will be reaped by the whole game and it will be a barren harvest. In ten years time, when we look back with hazy memories on the halcyon days of rugby being a game run by the unions, for the good of the game as a whole, be sure to remember who it was who shat the bed.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was considering rising to that, but will not.

Conceding 10 points while a man down pretty much lost the game for Glasgow against Toulouse, but fair play to them, they won fair and square. Need to win the reverse fixture or Guscott's wank opinion will continue.

Leicester v Toulon was a fabulous game though, one of the best so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom