• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Watched this one full game last night, I know you were saying that Samu had been struggling but this weekend looked pretty good
Yeah was a fun full game hey. Samu definitely looked much better this week, agreed. I miss Coleman, he's such a good enforcer. I'm amazed at their young winger Bielle-Biarrey, so well rounded for 20 years old. I think he's a much better option for France than Villiere who I always thought was a bit overhyped.

Bordeaux could go deep, almost an all French backline with Lucu, Jalibert, Moefana, Penaud, Bielle Biarrey. Then no slouches in Tapuai, Buros and Tambwe.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
A few interesting tidbits (e.g. Hepburn swapping) in the Scotland squad but the one flying just a touch under the radar is Rory Hutchinson leapfrogging Chris Harris into the 5th Center spot. Ollie Smith's injury seems to have thrown a spanner into the works as he and Kinghorn were the only standout fullback options for Scotland: Hutchinson, like Huw Jones may end up doing a lot of training at fullback having played there at various points in their career, even though they are more natural centers.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
A few interesting tidbits (e.g. Hepburn swapping) in the Scotland squad but the one flying just a touch under the radar is Rory Hutchinson leapfrogging Chris Harris into the 5th Center spot. Ollie Smith's injury seems to have thrown a spanner into the works as he and Kinghorn were the only standout fullback options for Scotland: Hutchinson, like Huw Jones may end up doing a lot of training at fullback having played there at various points in their career, even though they are more natural centers.

France & England at home & Ireland not till the last day do you think this year your a genuine chance?

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
sometimes I wanna get into this sport but the effort and time commitment make it so unappealing.
The best way to understand the game is to play the video game Madden. Dead serious answer.

It will give you a good understanding of player roles, rules, advantages of various personnel groupings/formations/play calls, and basic defensive coverage schemes/blitzing.

Things become vastly more intuitive when you're in control at your own pace and can see the full breadth of available options.

Front rowers would be analogous to offensive linemen or defensive linemen.

Linebackers are startlingly similar to back row players in their defensive responsibilities.

A quarterback is like if the responsibilities of the scrumhalf and fly-half were combined into one position and given full control over dictating the offense.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd say the NFL get more of the casual fan. They may watch their former school and the big games but not multiple every week like the NFL. College is arguably bigger in the southern/interior states because they didn't have NFL sides for a long time.
College is very big. Most people have their school and support them hard but the numbers are dwarfed by the nfl. The pro bowl gets more viewers than the college championship.
You just have a lot of football fans that didn’t go to a football school or didn’t go to school.

Kolbe is way too small to have had a chance in the nfl. I think some of the big islander boys with a bit of pace and power would be the best converts.
Hayne faded out fast and wade went nowhere really. Daniel Odongo (sp) was a Kenya international and I think he stayed on the colts squad for a while (sad story his).
I don’t really see anyone being successful at it to be honest. Best case would be punt returner.
These guys are basically professional from age 16 practicing all the time.
The only sport where people have successfully converted (that’s quite different) is afl.
no one is picking up hockey, soccer, rugby, nfl or basketball and being a success

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure about the Pro Bowl. Doesn’t even exist now because the players don’t want to do it. They do a skills challenge which got 6m viewers. National Championship game last Tuesday had 25m but agree the numbers in the NFL are incredible and no sport is even close.

Sports betting becoming legal in more and more states has made it even bigger.

Hayne was interesting because he exceeded expectations but SF moved him on after some off field behaviour that he seemed to bring back with him. Valentine Holmes gave it a go and had the skill set/build but bailed as soon as he got a good offer in Nth Qld. Felt like he used it to get out of Cronulla.

Cant wait for the day we get someone wanted to go to the NHL. Watching Valetini learn to skate.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
France & England at home & Ireland not till the last day do you think this year your a genuine chance?

In all seriousness, would be more than happy to be wrong, but the squad comes across as deckchair shuffling, and we're destined for another 3 win season, with Millennium hoodoo broken and one home win. From the match day teams that played Ireland and South Africa only Ollie Smith (injured), Rory Sutherland (Dropped - Lack of Gametime) and Dave Cherry (Persona non grata) are gone, and while injury has affected the decision, some very veteran players (WP Nel, Richie Gray and Grant Gilchrist) have been retained, and appear unlikely to be moved away from. The coaching staff is broadly the same. No major indication from players or staff that there's been some redefining or change of focus in how we play or look to win.

Little tweaks can certainly be made to adapt to the different players coming in, but we don't have an outstanding tight five talent or golden generation, or even mastermind tactician, that takes us from "upper end of best of the rest" to genuine top 4 team that we would need to be to secure a four or five win 6 Nations.

Alternatively BK stamps his authority as the best fullback in the world, the Russell-Redpath axis goes brilliantly on the international arena and Cummings steps out of the shadows behind Gilchrist and the Grays to be our dominant second rower, smashing Wales and Ireland, winning free flowing contests against England and France at home before Ben Healy nails a last minute shot to secure the grand slam in Dublin. Totally not delusional.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
College is very big. Most people have their school and support them hard but the numbers are dwarfed by the nfl. The pro bowl gets more viewers than the college championship.
You just have a lot of football fans that didn’t go to a football school or didn’t go to school.

Kolbe is way too small to have had a chance in the nfl. I think some of the big islander boys with a bit of pace and power would be the best converts.
Hayne faded out fast and wade went nowhere really. Daniel Odongo (sp) was a Kenya international and I think he stayed on the colts squad for a while (sad story his).
I don’t really see anyone being successful at it to be honest. Best case would be punt returner.
These guys are basically professional from age 16 practicing all the time.
The only sport where people have successfully converted (that’s quite different) is afl.
no one is picking up hockey, soccer, rugby, nfl or basketball and being a success

Surely that cannot be true now considering what the Pro Bowl has become. Wade had the career Hayne would have had he stuck around. Being a bit player on the practice squad. But at least Wade scored a TD. Jordan Mailata is the stand out actually being part of the active roster in Philadelphia but what makes him successful in the NFL is why he wasn't going to make it in the NRL. It's actually at the college level where they've been several Aussies have converted most notably as lineman with at least two having been drafted one for Seattle and the other Denver. And there was a former schoolboy Rugby player Thomas Yassmin who actually played WR (World Rugby) (has since changed position to TE) for Utah. There's also a surprising numbers of American NFL players with Rugby playing backgrounds past and present.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_0517.jpeg

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder if the ban length is a little performative because the RSA drug authority had recently been given a breach notice by WADA for not been compliant with standards.
I think 4 years is a pretty standard length for this. Bronson Xerri got 4 years in the NRL. No doubt originally designed to rule athletes out of their next Olympics/world championships. At 33 he's done.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Owen Farrell is playing as if he's already moved to Paris. Last couple games been dreadful.

Quite curious to see who'll be the new centre combination for England this 6N.