• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Owen Farrell is playing as if he's already moved to Paris. Last couple games been dreadful.

Quite curious to see who'll be the new centre combination for England this 6N.
The injuries are piling up. Ollie Lawrence now out. Slade is fit so he's probably 13. Northampton's Dingwall seems to be a debut option at 12.

Looking forward to seeing what Gonzalo Quesada brings to Italy post-Crowley. Crowley was a positive in many ways, promoting youth, but his attack-at-all-costs philosophy was ultimately naive and costly and his stubborn refusal to adapt saw him out of a job. Quesada was highly thought of at Stade Francais. We'll see.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
How is Richard Hardwick playing for Ealing Trailfinders. He’s way above that level going on his recent form.

Do they have a few backers that put in for players?

Saw Jordy Reid is still getting around for them. He’s an underrated player looking back on it now.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
How is Richard Hardwick playing for Ealing Trailfinders. He’s way above that level going on his recent form.

Do they have a few backers that put in for players?

Saw Jordy Reid is still getting around for them. He’s an underrated player looking back on it now.
They would be in the premiership if it wasn't for there stadium capacity. Jordy went to Gloucester for a couple of seasons and returned to Earling this year. They have a pretty good squad and will probably win the league and get denied promotion again.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Saw Billy Twelvetrees is with them as well. Not young anymore but at that level he has to be a class above.

Feels like an RA type move to not adapt and allow a currently flourishing Club because of details like that.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ealing's average attendance is something between 1500-2000, their success comes from an octogenarian's funds whose kids appear mostly uninterested in sport, and most of the club's assets are owned by the Gooley's parent company (Trailfinders) rather than by the org itself.

I don't like the "promotion and relegation but not really" aspect of the English league, but I'm not surprised that they make things deliberately difficult for Ealing without stumping up long term, irrevocable investment.

Still hope there's some sort of solution though, the Falcons really need someone to light a fire up their backside and get up to at least Gloucester's standard.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ealing's average attendance is something between 1500-2000, their success comes from an octogenarian's funds whose kids appear mostly uninterested in sport, and most of the club's assets are owned by the Gooley's parent company (Trailfinders) rather than by the org itself.

I don't like the "promotion and relegation but not really" aspect of the English league, but I'm not surprised that they make things deliberately difficult for Ealing without stumping up long term, irrevocable investment.

Still hope there's some sort of solution though, the Falcons really need someone to light a fire up their backside and get up to at least Gloucester's standard.

Ealing may win a lot but in terms of support they'd be the worst option to be promoted. Doncaster, Coventry and Bedford may not have the budget of Ealing but at least they have a following.

Steve_Grey

Sydney Middleton (9)
Get Jersey in there, would love to go watch a game there.
I have watched many games there - it is a super [albeit small] ground and traditional Club House.

Jersey [Reds rather that JRFC] have/had a few key issues - the ground is too small, and crowds too low around 1500 [luckily the ground is owned by the JRFC Amateur Club rather than the Reds when they went bust, or that would have gone to the liquidators]. The Reds didn't receive the 1Mio Pounds for winning the Championship - that was taken off the table by the RFU. The Reds hired too many players pre-season, and employed too many coaches. The Reds travel costs were huge, where they were required to pay for all their away fixture travel [naturally] but also subsidise all the other Clubs travel to play in Jersey for their away games. The finances just didn't balance - the Jersey Govt threw a lot of money at them to try and keep them afloat, but it was not sustainable even on a Tourism / Economy angle.

Pro Rugby in Jersey become more of a lifestyle choice for many of the players [apart from those looking to showcase themselves into the English Premiership], with low tax and a warm climate.

Now the Reds have gone bust, there won't be another Pro Rugby Club in Jersey ever again - JRFC will have to move up the amateur leagues; that is their best hope of higher level rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_0646.jpeg
Leicester, Gloucester, Newcastle & Northampton.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I don't really want to touch either it as I can see positives and negatives constantly depending on how I approach the thought.

Interesting development though. Small fish compared to other sports they have got involved with but has the potential to shift a lot of things in Rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was reading a couple of fellas that bought a club over there intended to use their business contacts in Saudi etc to make money out of it.
Was also reading that it seems the World cup broke records of being the most watched one by quite some way, so can see this kind of thing happening more and more.