• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Northern Hemisphere Rugby

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
And they have the stadiums. At least in Sydney the best Club facilities are at Clubs that probably wouldn’t be able to play in anything above SS. West Harbour at the new Concord is great but the Premiers Randwick play at a cricket ground hole for all the tradition it has.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Its been a good comp this yr & fixturing has been pretty smart. The forced resting of internationals (which I agree with) is turning into a bit of a farce though, Bath rolled out a pretty average side v the Tigers at a sold out Welford Rd y day. Maybe like International are protected the Christmas/New yrs week should have been protected as well for clubs.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MS was it poor administration of the resting policy, poor timing or just the bastardry of one EJ (Eddie Jones) that completely stuffed up the Brumbies and possibly the Wallabies chances last year?

Two losses by the Brumbies coincided with the resting of players who in the event played little or no part in the RC games or RWC last year. One win, say against the Force, could have had the Brumbies finish in 2nd place in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) 23 and a real chance the make or win the final.

On the face of it, the resting policy last year had a negative, or at best, no influence on the RWC campaign. Until it can be shown differently, I have no interest at all in its continuance. In my view, it was an utter failure last year.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
MS was it poor administration of the resting policy, poor timing or just the bastardry of one EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) that completely stuffed up the Brumbies and possibly the Wallabies chances last year?

Two losses by the Brumbies coincided with the resting of players who in the event played little or no part in the RC games or RWC last year. One win, say against the Force, could have had the Brumbies finish in 2nd place in SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) 23 and a real chance the make or win the final.

On the face of it, the resting policy last year had a negative, or at best, no influence on the RWC campaign. Until it can be shown differently, I have no interest at all in its continuance. In my view, it was an utter failure last year.

Certain players have to rest as apart on the agreement with the 6N. In Bath's case Finn Russel was back & played the 1st week after rwc & all 6 of his mandatory "rests" will be away games. They also rested Ollie Lawrence & the most inform winger in the prem this season. I just think the holiday period is a massive 2 weeks for games & they should protect them.

Bath on top as a stand alone game away to the side that has the biggest week in week out crowds deserved more than what it got

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Per Super Rugby: 14 games across only 15 weeks is a lot, before you even consider playoffs potentially taking that up to 17 in 18. I'm no expert in load management, but I can't possibly imagine a case where ensuring those likely to be involved in the 12-15 additional games to come an additional week or two off is a bad thing. There's a reason you have squads, and not just a 23 and a few extras you pick up at the pub in case of injury.

Re: MS's point, I 100% agree that this 4 week block (Europe Round 1&2 and the Christmas/New Year Domestic games) should be as close to open availability as possible for selection: this is "Domestic" Rugby's showcase opportunity and getting as many faces on the games stars playing outside the national arena should be the goal. There's another week of games prior to the Champions Cup rounds 3 & 4, and then another week prior to the 6 Nations where PONIs can be rested.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MS and H35, I can see the issue in the English and European competitions over the holiday period, but it looks a lot different to the loads on players here to me.

I'm sure every team here is alert to and implement some resting protocols during the Super Rugby season, but last year the mandated rest periods applied very unevenly across the five teams. I think the Brumbies had around ten players who were required to be rested for two games by RA when it transpired that only four or five were then required for Wallaby duty in the RC and RWC. RA simply made the calls on players needing mandated rests early and got it wrong. What's to say they won't get it just as wrong again this year or any year they bring in the rest policy?

It ought to be enough to leave it to the individual Super Rugby team management and coaching to manage player workloads. They are the people who know what niggles are being carried and what sort of workloads individual players are undertaking.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
MS and H35, I can see the issue in the English and European competitions over the holiday period, but it looks a lot different to the loads on players here to me.

I'm sure every team here is alert to and implement some resting protocols during the Super Rugby season, but last year the mandated rest periods applied very unevenly across the five teams. I think the Brumbies had around ten players who were required to be rested for two games by RA when it transpired that only four or five were then required for Wallaby duty in the RC and RWC. RA simply made the calls on players needing mandated rests early and got it wrong. What's to say they won't get it just as wrong again this year or any year they bring in the rest policy?

It ought to be enough to leave it to the individual Super Rugby team management and coaching to manage player workloads. They are the people who know what niggles are being carried and what sort of workloads individual players are undertaking.

take it to the RA thread. All I was pointing out is the prem (northern hemisphere) missed out on an opportunity

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just watched the top 14 final re match, 3 take aways.

If we actually played forward dominant set piece rugby instead of just trying to copy everything nz do we would have the best player in the world. Skelton completely owned the game.

Latu in true wobs 2 style couldn’t hit the side of a barn.

the reserve THP wearing 23 is a complete head f**k when packing scrums

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
LaR have the strongest, most skilful forwards in the comp, arguably anywhere. And Alldritt was on the bench FFS. Skelton thrives as he did at Sarries - in a forwards-dominated set up - after he lost 10kgs. Wobs don't have anywhere near the forwards quality.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I payed a lot of attention to Samu & Hodge in their Top 14 games on the weekend, it’s kinda sweet but they’re absolutely lost out there at the moment. Clearly language and lack of time is affecting them, they’ll get better but both largely ineffective. Simmons and Newsome much more useful.

despite this, Samu picked up a very fortuitous misplaced kick off to score the game winning try in the 80th.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting to see 6N are trialling the idea of players' names n back of jerseys. I personally think a good marketing move. I think they have talked about ti in NZ and figure will be way to get players more money as they will get a cut of each jersey's sale.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm guessing the next step would then be each player having a permanent number, rather than a number that reflects their position on the field

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm guessing the next step would then be each player having a permanent number, rather than a number that reflects their position on the field
Please no! Although, I guess with the way the Wallabies have played in the past it makes sense

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez just got around to watching Toulon vs Munster from weekend, what a bloody cracker of a game. Looked in first 40 to probably be Toulon's game, but Munster were real deserved winners. Bloody good defense system it seemed to me.
Do enjoy the Investic cup.