• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC 2016 - Grand Final - NSW Country Eagles vs Perth Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Got to try different things and they tried a prime time slot and after bledisloe game so hopefully people after that game switch in. As a new comp they have to keep trying things to see what might work to get more people to watch / introduced to NRC. I am ok as long as they keeping trying new ideas and learn from it as to what works and what doesn't. The foxsports viewer numbers would be interesting to see if it got better audience than last year.

NRC has had some success with increased crowds for last few games for Pacific Islander round games.but still struggles with things like any media coverage and dysfunctional rugby factions not aligned to support 3rd tier competition (re: the papworth and other clubs) which suspects damages support for things like NRC as lot of those factions want to only focus on negative of things like NRC. Probably for another thread but rugby is its own worse enemy with non aligned factions and until rugby grows up and accepts what that something like NRC as third tier is needed and how we can work together to create better 3rd tier (like NRC or any improved professional product / pathway between super rugby and amateur clubs that can be developed) and 4th tier (re: amateur clubs) it will hurt more than benefit rugby with this continued sectional interests playing out like the last rubbish we had last week.

If the NRC grows to get the coverage level of the Sheffield Shield, I will be happy, and that doesn't mean massive crowds.

But it does mean a great development pathway the Super rugby.

The Wobs head off into "camp" for the home tests campaign and the balance head to the NRC with the up and comers from club.

It makes sense

Oh and despite Papworth's whining, I can't see club rugby being anything large than club cricket going forward

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can remember the days when Sheffield Shield cricket was pretty huge and plenty of people got along to watch it. These days hardly anyone goes but very few people question whether it's important for the game in this country. It's still probably the best domestic competition in the world. I'm not going to say that the NRC will be held in the same regard but I think it will be similarly important in developing young players for the next level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.