• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I get the feeling last nights game suffered from the timeslot and day it was in. You'd have to think that if it was a weekend afternoon game the crowd would've at least doubled with a decent contingent coming over from the Northern Beaches. Obviously it was the easiest game to broadcast which is understandable and hopefully it got good ratings.

T

TOCC

looks like less people at Suncorp than if it was played at Ballymore. Surprise surprise.

Do you think if prices were the same as Ballymore that it would still draw a smaller crowd?

Whilst Ballymore is the traditional home and has significant nostalgic attachment, it has poor PT connections and the facilities are well outdated when compared to Suncorp, however it is owned by the QRU and allows for maximum profits.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Do you think if prices were the same as Ballymore that it would still draw a smaller crowd?

Whilst Ballymore is the traditional home and has significant nostalgic attachment, it has poor PT connections and the facilities are well outdated when compared to Suncorp, however it is owned by the QRU and allows for maximum profits.

Even if prices were similar, Suncorp is a totally unsuitable venue for such a game. The NRC is supposed to be about boutique grounds, community atmosphere and 3pm kickoffs. I like going to Brisbane City games because Ballymore offers that and a nice hill to stand on. I never see the point of double headers or warm up games because people pay money to see the game that they are interested in, plus theres no point leaving caxton street early to see this when you just watch it on the telly there with reasonably priced beers (and not just xxxx piss either) and then come in just before kick off for the Australia game.

T

Train Without a Station

Seriously terrace, they could offer the best game in the history of rugby, gold plated seats and 10 out 10's walking around performing fellatio on punters and you'd probably complain that they were too good and took your focus off the game.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Seriously terrace, they could offer the best game in the history of rugby, gold plated seats and 10 out 10's walking around performing fellatio on punters and you'd probably complain that they were too good and took your focus off the game.
Sorry I'll change my post to the train without a station school of thought.

Every thing is fucking dandy in Australian rugby and we should be happy with absolutely everything, I'm ever so grateful we have competent administrators in the ARU. There is certainly no evidence of mismanagement from those in charge let alone a decline in Rugby union under their watch.

Seriously, holding a game played at a 52k stadium when not a single game in the competition has had a higher attendance than 5k is stupid any day of the week. Making fans pay for wallabies tickets when they have no interest in that game just to watch the Nrc is also stupid.

Anyway my posts are more often critical/cynical because more often than not we have to endure stupid decision making from those in charge. After 10 years of watching the total decline of rugby, I tire of standing up in defence of those people and keeping up the misguided belief that "she'll be right" without seeing serious change in how rugby is run in this country.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good point TWAS - fact at Suncorp means televised....and that better to promote the game....

Just feel it is catch 22 at the moment as feel a lot of people turned off from going because small crowds etc....but yet those who actually do go seem to be pretty impressed....

Need some clever marketing nous to get people to the game....as seems to be such great value for money and highly entertaining.....and will only get better...

Yes been to all stars home games and watched whatever match can so I have been sold on the product...may be need to read more critics to understand what in terms of product may not appeal.....

If they played under the usual rules as opposed to ELVs I don't think I would have been though as this is what has attracted me as point of difference...just loving seeing attacking rugby and lots of tries....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ie another irish mate who have been trying to drag along states been past the ground (stars) and not seen many people....ie same comment had by many with automatic assumption that because small crowds must not be very good...

Same with people who watch on tv and see empty stadiums - does not help with psychic that attractive product....

Catch 22 situation......like I said as actually very good rugby (for the price) and in terms of seeing next level of players below elite super rugby / wallaby level...
Just got to keep growing the crowds and developing commercial aspects to ensure game appeals....

Agree marketing this as third tier does not help - as actually cream of australian's up and coming rugby talent is what should market it as...

T

Train Without a Station

The biggest road block is currently that only one game is on tv.

So they throw a game on as a curtain raiser to a game where $45k people are showing up that also gets it televised and that's a problem too?

People are forced to buy a test ticket to watch the NRC? Get fucked. How many NRC goers have no interest in the wallabies? I'd sake fuck all. How many wallaby goers have no interest in the NRC? I'd say a lot.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Need some more private equity plugged into super rugby and NRC rugby clubs...

We need the equivalent of Kerry Packer and Russell Crowe buying into a club...e.g. Melbourne rebels/rising would have thought would be good target.....as lots of old money in melbourne wanting to find a home....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree that televising any NRC game is fantastic......

Be interested to see trend in ratings for NRC fox televised sport over length of competition and whether stayed same...early peak then decline or see some gradual increase....would hope for the latter....as key to getting broadcasters behind it...we need fox to see a viable future for NRC to keep putting investment in - in terms of televised games....as probably not showing the sort of return yet they could justify more matches....

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
The biggest road block is currently that only one game is on tv.

So they throw a game on as a curtain raiser to a game where $45k people are showing up that also gets it televised and that's a problem too?

45k people showed up to see the Bledisloe, not the NRC.

People are forced to buy a test ticket to watch the NRC? Get fucked. How many NRC goers have no interest in the wallabies? I'd sake fuck all. How many wallaby goers have no interest in the NRC? I'd say a lot.

Then you're wrong. There is obviously massive overlap but there are plenty of Rugby fans in Students and Low income earners who have got into the NRC because it's affordable to go compared to Super Rugby and Tests. The fact that the place was completely empty compared to the games at ballymore makes it fucking obvious enough.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You've priced a couple of match goers out of it, to get it on Tv. That's what's going to keep the competition going. TV money.

Have to agree - if going to get the match broadcast on fox and a) promote the game and b) get more TV money from Fox this is reality you need to accept...one game remember......need to think about what game does which is getting people to watch it pre wallabies game on TV........be interested to see what TV ratings are......

NRC won't survive without TV money - pure and simple commercial reality.....

Status
Not open for further replies.