• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Game was on Saturday afternoon, not night. I wouldn't expect much for that. Friday night was probably a bigger audience- wasn't much competition on that night from memory (Syd FC game).

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
I believe that they wanted to cash in on the fact the Central Coast "Rays" won the previous tournament, and the crowd for the finals there was around 7000 I believe. The difference was that the aru person was in schools, clubs, promoting, taking players around - nothing from the aru this time around - no advertising\marketing\promotions - not even sure if they have an aru person their anymore.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When people say that it should be marketed better, what exactly do you propose?

I thought social media promotion for the NRC was pretty good.

Are people expecting FTA TV ads and ads in newspapers?

How many people attend local sportings event because they saw an ad for it?

I just don't believe that there are that many people who aren't attending games purely because they don't know there's a game on.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think its going to take time for these teams to build a dedicated fan base. Very hard to get people out to the games if they have no attachment to the teams. That will take time. Having watched the first season I've decided I'm a Brisbane City fan (had no idea who to support at the start) and I'm only now watching the tournament with some kind of context (i.e. which teams are decent, which teams I enjoy following etc).

Not sure a lot of marketing would have made much of a difference to crowd numbers but it does need reviewing for next year. I do know that advertising and promotion are expensive as fuck and I think the idea is not to pump shitloads of money into the competition and make it unprofitable. I presume the ARU are not relying on gate revenue to keep the tournament afloat and instead are predominantly relying on the television dollars.

Next year I'd like to see a second televised game each week. That would be a better way of improving the tournament but also getting extra advertising. One game a week makes the comp a bit hard to follow, as you only see some teams once in the whole season.

I wonder what the scope is for increasing the televised games to 2 per week...? Surely foxsports coverage costs would be less than the value they would get out of a second game??

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I don't recall seeing any adverts for the NRC that caught my eye, unlike the ARC. Although, the ARU overspent on the ARC. I had rugby interested friends that didn't even know the NRC was occuring, sadly.

The place I would've liked to have seen more of the NRC is in media reporting, like sports pages and such.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Growden is reporting impending doom for the NRC.

"due to terrible viewing figures, the word is strong that Fox Sports has already wiped it off their schedule for next year. So goodbye NRC."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fuck I hope not. Growden has actually been on the money lately.

Fox have themselves to blame too, they didn't market it well enough still plenty of rugby people who aren't watching because they don't know it's on. Maybe they should've got rid of the Thursday night slot for Friday and Saturday. Even if it's up against other sports that's when people know sport is on. There's no reason the NRC shouldn't attract the same ratings for Super rugby matches.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Bingo. I love mid week Rugby which is one of the reasons I like the ITM Cup so much, but if I'm limited on time which I often am, I'd much prefer a Fri or Sat night game.

I find it hard to reconcile that a live NRC match would rate lower than most of the replay games they play on Fox Sports. Some of the rubbish they already show wouldn't get a lot of views. Keep in mind that they will be going to 5 general sports channels next year, they will be looking for extra content to fill them. I call BS on Growden this time.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
But also way marketed as lot of rugby people put off by notion 3rd tier which way been presented - does anyone market NRL as third tier even though State of Origin and Internationals are 2nd and 1st tier respectively....and seeing so many empty seats as ARU did not market it as trying to run on shoe string budget.....

Product ok for first season but commercials and marketing non existent as too much to expect NRC franchises to do it all themselves without bigger super rugby and ARU marketing and brands and nous behind it...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Actually just read Growdens article on ESPN about Pulver and others on board needing to go and be replaced by proper Sporting Administrators etc.

I would be surprised if Fox dumped NRC after first season....hope not....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well typically the hardest bit is establishing a new comp so yes have to be prepared to spend on ad campaign to build awareness etc and think they made a mistake to not do any TV and print advertising......people will disagree based on ARU financial state of affairs but things like NRC key for rugby's survival and need to give best chances to succeed.

ARU needs some help....maybe starting to believe Growden that need to replace Bill Pulver with more experienced sporting adminstrator....

T

Train Without a Station

I wonder if there is scope for the ARU to reduce the sponsorship to offset broadcast costs for extra games? If they want to get viewers the whole competition needs to be shown.

In 2014 it comes across as an amateur competition like the foxtel cup (AFL) when they are only showing the game of the round.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Need to keep the NRC until at least the new Super rugby kicks in. Judging from responses so far the confusing structure and new teams are putting many people off. Could be good for the NRC.

On a side note, Sydney Stars..... Crowds have been shite which surprised me as I hear Syd Uni in the SS gets good attendances. I thought they would be getting the biggest numbers to their games.

Perhaps @Bruce Ross could shed some light, he has been awfully quiet lately.....

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's considered a good attendance in the SS? 1k+ is pretty rare for anything outside a Manly oval match.

T

Train Without a Station

Unless teams are crying poor their attendances aren't our concern though, providing TV ratings grow.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
What's considered a good attendance in the SS? 1k+ is pretty rare for anything outside a Manly oval match.

Ah I must have wrongly assumed crowds were bigger. I thought around 1500 for some Uni games.

Agree with the tv ratings, like everything needs time. The product is right just need people to tune in!!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
As a counter point to Growden, I remember seeing Brett McKay asked somewhere about Fox's satisfaction with the comp and he said the people he had talked to were quite happy with its first year performance. Either way my understanding was that fox signed a 2 year deal so it would be quite surprising for them to cut it early, particularly when any growth in interest in rugby benefits them.

I know it's easy to write Growden off, but I really do think he has been death riding this comp since the get go. If I had to guess, I'd say it's in part because his snouts are old and disgruntled figures from SS clubland.

Status
Not open for further replies.