• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I have read that Foxtel are locked in for at least 1 more year, but also that they want out due to poor numbers. Do they have an out clause? There needs to be some certainty over this as without Foxtel it'll probably fall over & until they're confirmed as being on board it'll be that much harder for the clubs to attract sponsors, plus you've gotta wonder if Buildcorp will stick around if it's not gonna be broadcast.

If this is true, the days of the NRC are numbered :(

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
The final didnt make the top 20 programs on Fox. That means less than 51k viewers. Disappointing.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Coming from NSW I think I agree. They need 3 teams max. Randwick and Easts either sort your shit out or piss off. Rays could have another club join as injuries started to kick in.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So let me get this straight. No NSW teams in the final and it's our fault that the game didn't rate well and the crowd wasn't bigger.:confused:

I suspect that if 2 NSW teams played in the final, drew a good crowd and had good ratings then that would be viewed as being part of a Waratahs/ARU conspiracy to ensure that NSW teams dominate the NRC and thus give the Waratahs a perceived advantage in Super rugby.:rolleyes:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Coming from NSW I think I agree. They need 3 teams max. Randwick and Easts either sort your shit out or piss off. Rays could have another club join as injuries started to kick in.

The problem with the Rays wasn't so much the injuries, but that in the cause of balancing players from all 4 SS clubs, the combined entity ending up being weaker than the sum of its parts.

Randwick, Easts and Uni should be in the one JV, leaving country free to be a country team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well I live in Sydney and saw nothing in media in lead up to the GF.....

People just don't know about it or because not hearing much about it don't obviously think much good...

Got to target existing rugby fans...offer free tickets to club and super rugby members to get them to go to at least one game and give it a go....

It is just so frustrating to know there are so many people who follow rugby and would love it (NRC) with its law variations if they would just give it a go and watch a game....

Hardest bit seems to make that happen with crowds and ratings.....but never heard of big crowds for a new comp without any marketing and that is just it we have had next to no marketing......

ARU broke....well very sad as can't see NRC surviving without bigger marketing budget than had this year....sad ARU in such poor shape as imagine we were back to 2007 when they launch ARC and had same business model and used that $4.7m they lost to channel into a marketing blitz.....

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well I live in Sydney and saw nothing in media in lead up to the GF...

People just don't know about it or because not hearing much about it don't obviously think much good.

Got to target existing rugby fans.offer free tickets to club and super rugby members to get them to go to at least one game and give it a go..

It is just so frustrating to know there are so many people who follow rugby and would love it (NRC) with its law variations if they would just give it a go and watch a game..

Hardest bit seems to make that happen with crowds and ratings...but never heard of big crowds for a new comp without any marketing and that is just it we have had next to no marketing..

ARU broke..well very sad as can't see NRC surviving without bigger marketing budget than had this year..sad ARU in such poor shape as imagine we were back to 2007 when they launch ARC and had same business model and used that $4.7m they lost to channel into a marketing blitz...

Unfortunately, in the lead-up to the NRC semi-finals and final we had all the rugby oxygen sucked into the Wallabies dramas. Nothing else got a look in rugby-wise - not even the own try decision.

I know a lot of people would have been happy to see all the Sydney sides miss out on the semis, of course the down side to that is that the Sydney media aren't really going to follow it as closely. Factor in the Wallabies stuff and it's close to zero coverage in Sydney.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The usually dependable Chief Rugby Correspondent for the SMH going "missing" would not have helped promote interest in the NRC final in the Sydney market either.

Do Fairfax still have any Rugby correspondents left, let alone a Chief one?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The "usually dependable Chief Rugby Correspondent for the SMH" was too busy writing smear stories to even write a single NRC article.

SMH have practically ignored the NRC. No articles in the leadup for any finals games. All coverage of finals games were sourced from AAP.

At least the Courier Mail (poor excuse for a newspaper it is) gave the NRC plenty of air time. None of the Sydney papers were interested at all.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
The problem with the Rays wasn't so much the injuries, but that in the cause of balancing players from all 4 SS clubs, the combined entity ending up being weaker than the sum of its parts.

Randwick, Easts and Uni should be in the one JV, leaving country free to be a country team.

2 big problems there. Been there, done that - the Fleet did not work. Where would Country source their players from?

IMO there is a lot of negativity on the Stars that is a hang over from the last decade of Uni dominance rather than for sound reasons. The Stars were severeley impacted by injuries - Dennis, Carter, Latu, Winton, etc etc. They also saw less of Betham, Willan, Clunies-Ross, Roberts, Skelton and Hickey than they might have otherwise expected. If the NRC had been played in 2013, they would have had Phipps and Foley at 9 and 10. The lesson for them is that they need better injury cover for their squad if they wish to be a 1 team NRC club.
One of the big positives for the Stars is that they have the most precious commodity in this comp, money. As a result, they must be retained. Are we sure that one of the other NSW clubs won't fall over financially before next season?
However the Stars must build a better fan base. Their crowds were not good.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
If the NRC had started in 2013 the stars would have dominated it and everyone would complain about them being too good. I went to one of their games albeit to support the eagles and the crowd that day was ok, better than what I expected but there were a lot of eagles supporters there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the Sydney solution might be Sydney Stars and NSW Country merging to create a team based in the eastern suburbs. Both teams need a crowd and they aren't really getting them at Leichhardt/Lismore/Gosford etc. Don't like to say it but I think that's the only real solution.
The surplus players could end up with the Rays or the Rams.

Status
Not open for further replies.