• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC onwards and upwards

T

TOCC

"Bundled" is legal business speak for they are not going to tell you how much if anything Fox valued the NRC at. Both the Currie Cup and NPC in New Zealand were given separate dollar figures even though they formed part of the larger deals.

That was the case in the previous broadcast negotiations but not the recent deal, NPC, NRC and Currie Cup were all included in the SANZAR package with unions taking a percentage of the overall broadcast value.

Last time the Currie Cup and NPC were excluded from the SANZAR package and the unions negotiated the price individually with the broadcaster, this lead to some questionable outcomes from South Africa so this time round they were all included.

In saying that, there is no doubt that the value of the NPC and Currie Cup far exceeds the NRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
As discussed on Shute Shield thread, the new Sydney Uni Oval 2 looks fantastic.

IMO Easts, Randwick, Souths and Uni should play in a Sydney team played out of here.

Do we really need a NSW Country team? Should the three Sydney NRC teams adopt a Country region and take a game or two there?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

IMO Easts, Randwick, Souths and Uni should play in a Sydney team played out of here.

Do we really need a NSW Country team? Should the three Sydney NRC teams adopt a Country region and take a game or two there?

I'd prefer to keep a country element but you do make a fairly good point in regards to the new Uni venue being perfect for the NRC. I suppose that if they were to go with three Sydney teams then the linking up with three country regions might work.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They did mike up players for the NRC, or at least for one game - there was a Brisbane City game where Karmichael Hunt had one. Can't say it was the most exciting thing I'd ever heard. From memory it was a bit of yelling at other blokes to get in the line and some woo-hooing when they scored.

No they did mike up for quite a few games....Dave Dennis from Stars was miked up for example in one TV game

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Thinking more about it and I'm coming around. The Rams could adopt the Central West. The Rays the Newcastle-Hunter/Central Coast and a Sydney squad adopt the Illawarra.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
I agree this concept makes much more sense than having a travelling NSW Country team

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
It means they may have to create a new South-east team from the ashes of the Sydney Stars

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Not sure whether this has been covered here yet but the newly branded Mitre 10 Cup (formerly ITM Cup) is adopting almost all the rule variations trialled in last year's NRC.

In addition it's reported a small number of premier club rugby competitions around the country have elected to trial them starting this month:

"[using the new laws could provide] potential [Southland] Stags players with a head-start playing under the trial laws would be the plus side to introducing them to premier club rugby.

"By the time July and August roles around hopefully it would mean it would be ingrained in [the Stags] players to do the right things."

Rae expected it would not be until February or March before they would know if they would introduce the trial laws into premier club rugby or not.
"New Zealand Rugby have got to go back to World Rugby to get permission to implement it in club rugby so it is a wee bit up in the air."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...ced-to-Southland-premier-club-rugby-next-year

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...s-in-national-provincial-championship-in-2016

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ozee, does the term "premier rugby" denote anything in particular in an NZ context?

Is it the top level club comp within a province or something like that?

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Yes it is the equivalent of the John Dent Cup in Canberra.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So how many such comps are there in the country?

In oz back in the early noughties, premier rugby was the term for the funded attempt to bridge the pro-am gap. Has sort of gone by the wayside now but the name lingers on.

Not sure something similar was even needed in NZ, what with the NPC being in place for years.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Premier rugby in NZ is strictly amateur. Players can get small inducements and help with jobs but nobody is paid like Shute Shield.

There is one premier competition for all 25 or so provincial unions in the country.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
There is however alot of gaming and Alcohol sponsorship money running through the clubs

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Premier rugby in NZ is strictly amateur. Players can get small inducements and help with jobs but nobody is paid like Shute Shield.
Sensible

There is one premier competition for all 25 or so provincial unions in the country.
So what about this bit then?

In addition it's reported a small number of premier club rugby competitions around the country have elected to trial them starting this month:​

... 5th or 6th tier?

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
Ah sorry each provincial union has its own premier club competition. They are all separately run as in Australia. Only one or two of these were interested in trialling the new laws from this month in preparation for the Mitre 10 Cup

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo

Originally Stars where going to play out of there this season if they still existed. But they were also going to become the "University of Sydney Stars" so win/loss.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thinking more about it and I'm coming around. The Rams could adopt the Central West. The Rays the Newcastle-Hunter/Central Coast and a Sydney squad adopt the Illawarra.

Much better idea and all of them each play one home game in the region. I am sold. Can we have this please as much better concept than a travelling NSW Country side.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think all the NRC sides should look to play one home game regionally- WA in the NT or SA. ACT in the other one, Vics in TAS.

There is a good argument that this interferes with developing a comp, but I reckon youd get decent crowds.