• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NRC Rnd 2: Canberra Vikings v NSW Country Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Let's go with the increasing quality of the competition and the rise of new young blood. It may be a little delusional but it's better than the alternative.

OK, i will agree to be deluded at the moment.
at least the Eagles last week and in the first 60 of today, actually looked like they had individual and team skills.
edit: and i agree from the two games i saw today and snippets of the other one yesterday, none of the Wallabies or fringe players pushed their case. Slipper was about the most consistent, Arnold was industrious when he got on. dont think anyone else would have impressed Cheika

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Thoughts on the game. First Country as for the first 60 minutes they were the only team out there.

Part of the platform that has allowed the Vikings to dominate their opposition in previous seasons has been their set piece. Particularly their scrum and lineout maul. Both were completely nullified today with the Eagles actually having the upper hand at scrum time.

Unlike their northern Country counterparts the Eagles brought aggressive line speed into play that constantly pressured the Vikings shutting down any continuity and ability to progress up the field.

The level of dominance of the Eagles was astonishing. The 60 minutes where they had their best 15/14 on the park were the best 60 minutes of the competition certainly so far if not ever. Their forwards were completely dominate, powering over the line. Ned Hanigan was huuuge in this game. Sam Ward carried strongly, Rowan Perry was an absolute menace at the tackle, Tom Robertson was solid across the spectrum. Not a single forward that started would have fallen below a 7 and that's only if I were to be really critical.

I mentioned that I thought Godwin was a bit of a passenger in the Eagles backline. Which is saying something as he had a good game. They were slick from the get go playing all over their Vikings counterparts. Hard to single out any one player. Deegan had a much improved game on last week. Gordon delivered speedy service and bossed his forwards all day, Kellaway was class as usual. Horwitz had a big day out carrying strongly and providing a beautiful cross field kick for Robinson to score a ripper. Godwin was good, still needs to work on his hands a little but he seems to be finding his feet in the country outfit. Newsome is the intercept king of the NRC with two today. And Robinson was good overall.

As for the Vikings. I'll give a general assessment. Their reserves were good. They were aided by Country emptying their bench or near enough and 3 or 4 YC against the Eagles but honestly, even then they showed more than there starters did in 20 minutes then they did in 60.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Ala'alatoa experiment at TH should be ditched, with Robertson taking his place on the Wobs bench next week............

That should allow Vikings to field a front row of Ala'alatoa, Abel and Makin.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Speight showed a bit of pace and good strength in contact but did himself no favours with some dumb errors....

Still a good chance for a call up considering our lack of wing options, but certainly not good enough today.

Defence not what it should be.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thoughts on the game. First Country as for the first 60 minutes they were the only team out there.

Part of the platform that has allowed the Vikings to dominate their opposition in previous seasons has been their set piece. Particularly their scrum and lineout maul. Both were completely nullified today with the Eagles actually having the upper hand at scrum time.

Unlike their northern Country counterparts the Eagles brought aggressive line speed into play that constantly pressured the Vikings shutting down any continuity and ability to progress up the field.

The level of dominance of the Eagles was astonishing.

I think that the NSW teams have stepped up to the plate. It's taken a couple of seasons to get here, but hell have they arrived! The scrums have been awesome. Country LOs were dominating. Mauls when they needed to. And its not as if the backs wren't firing.

Agree on Hanigan. MOTM performance.

Deegan? Like McIntyre, will he shape up? OTOH, until he was pulled, Meehan is just a season behind Frisbey and going forward no doubt they will fight for WB 9. And thats no bad thing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Hasn't Godwin signed with the Brums for 2017?
If so, how come he was playing for the eagles?

Yeah.

But the Eagles have always had a few Brumby connections. Godwin and Rowan Perry in this side. Previously Staniforth, Dowsett, Mann-Rae (and I s'pose To'omua, Sam Carter, Nic White as notional reps).

Would be the next closest side when someone else plays in your spot at the UCV.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Ala'alatoa experiment at TH should be ditched, with Robertson taking his place on the Wobs bench next week....

That should allow Vikings to field a front row of Ala'alatoa, Abel and Makin.

I agree with AA and Makin but not with Robbie Abel in the 23. His lineout throwing is poor and he doesn't really do enough around the field to compensate. Start with Mann-Rea and McInerny on the bench.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've often thought that Deegan didn't have the game for this/Super Rugby level, but he simply ruled the roost today. His running game and distribution at 10 put the Eagles on the attack time after time.

Hanigan outplayed his Super Rugby/Wallaby rivals and Ward was immense. Must be the best No 8 not contracted to a Super Rugby side going round.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Really disappointing by the Vikings, Staniforth worked hard all day, Speight had his moments, but that was it.
The Eagles, as has been said, outstanding for 60. Paddy Ryan getting on top of Ala'alatoa surely must end the experiment of him at TH, particularly with Tom Robbo having a very sound all round game. Ryan, Hanigan, Perry, Ward all great, Gordon looked all class, Deegan much better this week, as was Horwitz, and Kellaway showed his usual class.
Deegan could give Foley some lessons on kicking in general play!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
of all the young 10's on display over the weekend, Deegan looked the most complete player, passing, running, kicking and most importantly game management. it is of course a lot easier behind a dominant pack.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Nah - as I've posted before, the Brumbies will be short on at LHP next year cf THP. AA needs to be on the LH side at all levels. Tom Robertson is the stand-out THP coming through, and he had a very strong game v the Vikings yesterday. Then, of course, there's Sam Talakai and Taniela Toupou also in the wings. Aus rugby does not need AA to shift to the TH side.

A few other poor positional selections by the Vikings also coming back to bite them. Jarrad Butler is not a No 7. He probably isn't even the longer term best pick at 8 either with the likes of OJ Noa looking quite impressive. WTF did not someone with a bit of vision lobby to keep Rowen Perry in Canberra. He looked the goods in the early NRC games, and then was outstanding for the Aus Barbarians v NZ Heartland last year. He has carried his form on to Easts and now NSW Country. It couldn't have been clearer than the noses on our collective faces that the Brumbies were short of a No 7 backup to Poey, especially after the relatively poor showings by Butler in that spot when Pocock was injured.

Coleman imo has reached his use by date at any spot at Super Rugby and NRC levels. Just acting as a road block keeping someone else out of the side now. Get a young, promising player like Kotz in there asap and let him start to develop.

Finally, I am not at all impressed with Robbie Abel at hooker either. Again he is keeping a younger player like McInerny out atm.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Horwitz showed quite a bit in this game, ran some good lines and made himself difficult to tackle

And Kellaway? in these games you see some players that just seem to have so much time and composure, Kellaway is one of those units

Hanigan looks busy and effective and should get good minutes for the for tahs next season

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Don't worry about Godwin being called up,what about Speight?
Dropped a lot of ball,ran out, missed a stack of tackles.
I reckon they hope the Wallabies keep him,to save them having to drop him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't worry about Godwin being called up,what about Speight?
Dropped a lot of ball,ran out, missed a stack of tackles.
I reckon they hope the Wallabies keep him,to save them having to drop him.

Although he may have looked better on the end of the Eagles backline

T

TOCC

Alan at THP is better for Australian Rugby in the long term, Brumbies fans may feel a bit aggreived that it doesn't suit the Brumbies in the short term, but it will ultimately benefit the Brumbies as well..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
yeah - the Benny A move from LH to TH sure helped both the Wallabies and the Brumbies, as well as doing great things for the bloke himself. Just look at the fan treatment he's had on this site for the past 5 years or thereabouts.

I really think the Wallabies would be well served in the long term by moving Taniela Toupou to No 12, the Tahs would be heaps better if Tom Robertson played at LHP, and the Rebels could be world beaters with Lopeti Timani playing 15. FFS just lay off the selection positions in other franchise teams, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.