• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Where the draw for next year ?

Why the AAGPS holding out for with the release of draw for this 5 round comp .

So we going to assume the comp will occur after the Aus schoolboy champs ?

Selectors pick GPS teams on form in trial games ?

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Where the draw for next year ?

Why the AAGPS holding out for with the release of draw for this 5 round comp .

So we going to assume the comp will occur after the Aus schoolboy champs ?

Selectors pick GPS teams on form in trial games ?
At least, NSW and QLD will be on equal terms. Neither will have started this schools comp.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
At least, NSW and QLD will be on equal terms. Neither will have started this schools comp.

My understanding is that Round 1 of the NSW GPS Comp will commence on 17 June.

1 round will have been completed prior to the NSW Schools Opens Championship which I would imagine will be on or around 24 June.

So one would imagine that the GPS selectors will be out and about checking the form of the players in the 6 rounds of trials from 1 April until 3 June.

Seems a bit of a shame to have the Australian Schoolboy championships and the Australian Schoolboys teams selected before round 2 of the NSW AAGPS Competition......

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems a bit of a shame to have the Australian Schoolboy championships and the Australian Schoolboys teams selected before round 2 of the NSW AAGPS Competition..

When GPS v GPS trials occur there is no issue as selectors present watching players from both sides but if as reported GPS schools will be playing non GPS schools in trials how will selectors get around to all the games simultaneously, cannot do......

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Armchair, I am reading your comments to mean that gps is still going to be a 2 round comp?

Unfortunately no. Sorry for the confusion, perhaps read round 1 as match 1

Matches 1 -5 starting 24 June.

I believe GPS schools will play 6 trails from 1 April; 3 trials against other GPS teams and 3 against CAS teams

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When GPS v GPS trials occur there is no issue as selectors present watching players from both sides but if as reported GPS schools will be playing non GPS schools in trials how will selectors get around to all the games simultaneously, cannot do..

Assuming that what you mean is having a selector at every game: how many selectors do you think there are and who do you think they are?

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Assuming that what you mean is having a selector at every game: how many selectors do you think there are and who do you think they are?

Well I can tell you I don't know who the 2017 selectors are ? But I know they will not get to all trial games in the proposed format and give the players the applicable attention they deserve, however, they will probably go off 2016 of 16's and the scattered 17 year old's that stepped up to the mark in 1st's in 2016. Mmm maybe they watch the video of trial games.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
I am assuming we are talking about GPS selection here? (Not Higher honors)

Think most of the names would already be on paper.

They will be looking for any standout performances that may push for a spot.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Still not sure why some people still think playing in a small number of schools,closed shop, double round comp is the ultimate. Aside from the emotional " we want a revenge return game" why is it better then playing more schools. There will be easily sufficient games to choose rep teams, so can someone please articulate why you prefer a home and away roster better than a broader roster!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well I can tell you I don't know who the 2017 selectors are ? But I know they will not get to all trial games in the proposed format and give the players the applicable attention they deserve, however, they will probably go off 2016 of 16's and the scattered 17 year old's that stepped up to the mark in 1st's in 2016. Mmm maybe they watch the video of trial games.

I am assuming we are talking about GPS selection here? (Not Higher honors)

Think most of the names would already be on paper.

They will be looking for any standout performances that may push for a spot.

FWIW, as I understand it the coaches are the selectors and then there's a convenor. So a selector will be at every match and they seem to co-opt people in to get independent assessments of identified players. Its true that not every selector sees every match (they never did or would) and that there will not always be 2 selectors at every match - but there might be and then there's the "scouts' for the selectors.
The Badger is probably right up to a point: the contentious spots are more likely to be which team the year 11s go into and those for 1s would be pretty clear. if a year 11 goes into 2s then he's likely to be the 1s player in that spot next season in my experience, with exceptions to prove the rule.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
FWIW, as I understand it the coaches are the selectors and then there's a convenor. So a selector will be at every match and they seem to co-opt people in to get independent assessments of identified players. Its true that not every selector sees every match (they never did or would) and that there will not always be 2 selectors at every match - but there might be and then there's the "scouts' for the selectors.
It wouldn't be too difficult to create a bigger selection panel/independent assessors if GPS wanted two at every GPS v anybody game. If my old Casio is working correctly, that would be a maximum of 12 people, 6 of whom are the GPS coaches.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
It wouldn't be too difficult to create a bigger selection panel/independent assessors if GPS wanted two at every GPS v anybody game. If my old Casio is working correctly, that would be a maximum of 12 people, 6 of whom are the GPS coaches.

You are going to upset Inside Shoulder.

S

sidelineview

Still not sure why some people still think playing in a small number of schools,closed shop, double round comp is the ultimate. Aside from the emotional " we want a revenge return game" why is it better then playing more schools. There will be easily sufficient games to choose rep teams, so can someone please articulate why you prefer a home and away roster better than a broader roster!

It remains to be seen whether the new comp format will be better than the existing one.
The CAS comp for example is fairly even except for one school when gauged over the last few seasons.
There's also the Premiership to consider; it's more interesting when played over 2 rounds. The second round clashes often determine which team wins the competition regardless of results in the first round.
We'll see if the new format works. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be better.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
I've heard some schools will try to arrange annual cross association matches with each other (eg Knox v Joeys, Scots v Cranbrook etc each year) and play for a shield to be created for and contested by the two teams.

Would certainly add greater interest to what would otherwise be somewhat meaningless trial games.

But still not as significant as games that would form part of a multi games / multi team comp IMO.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
It remains to be seen whether the new comp format will be better than the existing one.
The CAS comp for example is fairly even except for one school when gauged over the last few seasons.
There's also the Premiership to consider; it's more interesting when played over 2 rounds. The second round clashes often determine which team wins the competition regardless of results in the first round.
We'll see if the new format works. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will be better.
Agree sideline, I am certainly hoping that the headmasters who have influenced a change have really thought through it. I would like to think that there is sufficient intelligence there for this to happen, and I think that is a fair expectation.
New, doesn't always mean better, true, I just believe in a broader comp with the right teams. I know you like the idea of a chance for redemption in a second round but I think most second round encounters realise little, in fact most are boring in the CAS, so we are pretty much playing a second round for 1 game.
My whole view is about experiencing different styles of play for all relevant schools.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
GPS Rugby Fixtures 2017
3 June
Trial
1ST & 2ND XV -
I v J
N v K
S v E

10 June
Long weekend no games

17 June
Round 1
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
I v N
E v K
J v S

Sunday 18 June
Representative Teams Photographs and Training
Monday 19 June
Representative Teams Training
GPS 1ST XV, GPS 2ND XV, GPS 3RD XV
Tuesday 20 June
GPS 2ND XV v CAS 2ND XV (hosted by CAS) ‐
GPS 1ST XV v CAS 2ND XV (hosted by CAS) ‐
Thursday 22 June
GPS White / GPS Blue v Sydney Junior, NSW Country Juniors
GPS 1ST XV, GPS 2ND XV, GPS XV
Friday 23 June
GPS 2ND XV v CHS 2ND XV ‐ Knox G/S
GPS 1ST XV v CHS 1ST XV ‐ Knox G/S,
Saturday 24 June
NSWRU Teams announced

Sunday 2 July - Saturday 8 July 2017
ASRU Championships - St Ignatius' College.

22 July
Round 2
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
S v I
K v J
E v N

29 July
Round 3
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
I v K
J v E
N v S

5 August
Round 4
1ST XV & 2ND XV -
I v E
S v K
N v J

12 August
Round 5
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
J v I
K v N
E v S

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Wow ^^^^^. Kings, Scots and New drew short straw, with only 2 home comp games. And Kings totally dudded IMO. They also play away for the trial the week before the comp. So only 2 of 6 games above at home. I would imagine there will be a few cranky Kings boys, parents and supporters.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
25 March
Internal selections
1ST XV & 2ND XV GPS

29 March
Internal selections
1ST XV & 2ND XV GPS

29 April
Trial 1
1ST XV & 2ND XV GPS/CAS
Kn v I