• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think both Knox and Waverley will put up a good show and could easily upset some of the gps schools

Definitely some cross/code games of interest

Say scots versus Knox

Waverley v shore

Joeys v Waverley

Why is there one trial round where scots and joeys aren't participating?

Shame st augustines has been excluded?!

In my estimation st augustines could beat any of these teams on their day ... and suspect they will be strong in 2017

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
I think both Knox and Waverley will put up a good show and could easily upset some of the gps schools

Say scots versus Knox

Waverley v shore

Joeys v Waverley

In my estimation st augustines could beat any of these teams on their day . and suspect they will be strong in 2017

When did Joeys and Waverley last play?

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
GPS Rugby Fixtures 2017
3 June
Trial
1ST & 2ND XV -
I v J
N v K
S v E

10 June
Long weekend no games

17 June
Round 1
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
I v N
E v K
J v S

Sunday 18 June
Representative Teams Photographs and Training
Monday 19 June
Representative Teams Training
GPS 1ST XV, GPS 2ND XV, GPS 3RD XV
Tuesday 20 June
GPS 2ND XV v CAS 2ND XV (hosted by CAS) ‐
GPS 1ST XV v CAS 2ND XV (hosted by CAS) ‐
Thursday 22 June
GPS White / GPS Blue v Sydney Junior, NSW Country Juniors
GPS 1ST XV, GPS 2ND XV, GPS XV
Friday 23 June
GPS 2ND XV v CHS 2ND XV ‐ Knox G/S
GPS 1ST XV v CHS 1ST XV ‐ Knox G/S,
Saturday 24 June
NSWRU Teams announced

Sunday 2 July - Saturday 8 July 2017
ASRU Championships - St Ignatius' College.

22 July
Round 2
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
S v I
K v J
E v N

29 July
Round 3
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
I v K
J v E
N v S

5 August
Round 4
1ST XV & 2ND XV -
I v E
S v K
N v J

12 August
Round 5
1ST XV & 2ND XV ‐
J v I
K v N
E v S
What a freaking waste of time....feel lucky that I'll be watching colts in 2017 rather than the imploding mish mash catastrophe that replaced the perfectly good two round AAGPS comp.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Say scots versus Knox

Waverley v shore

Joeys v Waverley

In my estimation st augustines could beat any of these teams on their day . and suspect they will be strong in 2017

ISA still playing a 2 round competition and also, Augustine's wouldn't have enough teams to match up with the schools involved in this. Only go to 3rd XV and down to Bs in 16s, Cs in 15s and Ds in 13s and 14s.

That and travelling to Armidale were Joeys big complaints. They pushed hardest for this.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What a freaking waste of time..feel lucky that I'll be watching colts in 2017 rather than the imploding mish mash catastrophe that replaced the perfectly good two round AAGPS comp.

It's a ludicrous proposition to play one game, then have a five week break and then play the last four games. If it's to be a one round competition, surely it's not too much to ask that the games would be on 5 consecutive Saturdays in term 3?

I think what we have here is a horse designed by a committee.;)
camel-1.jpg

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
The way it is set- up for 2017, well it is set-up for players to have opportunities get injured in non-relevant trial games. However, the good players have to play in the non-relevant trials to have any chance of impressing for representative honours.

If anything, they should have had 2 trial games followed by the 5 round comp for the championship and then had their non-relevant games for fun. Just my opinion!

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Looks like a good deal for 2 CAS schools - Waverley and Knox. And a dud deal for everyone else.

No wonder certain CAS supporters have been banging on in this thread about the merits of playing more schools, that play different rugby styles.

Waverley and Knox lose a full round of comp games but instead each play 5 trial games against 5 GPS schools.

The GPS schools on the other hand lose a full round of comp games and instead, mainly play trial games against other GPS schools.

Scots, for example, only play one trial against a CAS side - Knox. Four of the other five GPS schools have a second trial against a CAS team and Newington also play Oak Hill. All other trial games are amongst themselves. Where is the diversity in that?

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
I
What a freaking waste of time..feel lucky that I'll be watching colts in 2017 rather than the imploding mish mash catastrophe that replaced the perfectly good two round AAGPS comp.

I might join you Az. At least until the games of significance and consequence start

S

sidelineview

The CAS draw will be similar with the first Round of the Comp proper to be played one week before the Rep season commences.

The real motivation in the trial matches will be for the better players to perform well to make their respective Association rep teams, but I wonder what motivation the ''other'' players will have. People may argue that all players stand a chance to impress selectors to make the 1st or 2nd XV rep squads and that's true, but the emphasis will be more on individual performances rather than on the way a team performs.

No doubt there will be a big temptation for players to play for themselves to impress selectors. Coaches will try to discourage players from adopting that attitude but it will still happen. You'd have to expect it.

I have to wonder how hollow or fulfilling any ''trial game'' victories will be without a competition table to refer to.

The real emphasis on team performances wont start until the one-round competition starts and that's when the traditional schoolboy rugby spirit will kick in.

S

sidelineview

Agree sideline, I am certainly hoping that the headmasters who have influenced a change have really thought through it. I would like to think that there is sufficient intelligence there for this to happen, and I think that is a fair expectation.
New, doesn't always mean better, true, I just believe in a broader comp with the right teams. I know you like the idea of a chance for redemption in a second round but I think most second round encounters realise little, in fact most are boring in the CAS, so we are pretty much playing a second round for 1 game.
My whole view is about experiencing different styles of play for all relevant schools.

The second round clashes more often than not determine which team ends up as Premiers or joint Premiers, so throwing a blanket over it and labeling the whole second round as ''boring'' is an exaggeration.

rollin_maul

Peter Burge (5)
Looks like a good deal for 2 CAS schools - Waverley and Knox. And a dud deal for everyone else.

No wonder certain CAS supporters have been banging on in this thread about the merits of playing more schools, that play different rugby styles.

Waverley and Knox lose a full round of comp games but instead each play 5 trial games against 5 GPS schools.

The GPS schools on the other hand lose a full round of comp games and instead, mainly play trial games against other GPS schools.

Scots, for example, only play one trial against a CAS side - Knox. Four of the other five GPS schools have a second trial against a CAS team and Newington also play Oak Hill. All other trial games are amongst themselves. Where is the diversity in that?

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder whether this is phase one in a bigger plan. See how Waverley and Knox go against the GPS teams in a string of trail matches next year. And if it goes well, then create a new comp for 1st and 2nd XV in 2018 that involves Waverley, Knox and the GPS schools. You could throw St Augustines and Oakhill in too, as no doubt they would be competitive

S

sidelineview

The conspiracy theorist in me can't help but wonder whether this is phase one in a bigger plan. See how Waverley and Knox go against the GPS teams next year. And if it goes well, then create a new comp for 1st and 2nd XV in 2018 that involves Waverley, Knox and the GPS schools. You could throw St Augustines and Oakhill in too, as no doubt they would be competitive

You might be on the right track there.

To be honest, I'm not sure if in general terms, CAS schools can compete week-in-week-out consistently every year with GPS schools.

It's been proven through results that the best of the CAS players can compete with the best of the GPS players in the form of rep teams, however, bringing that back to individual teams/schools is a different matter.

For a start, there is a disparity in the way some GPS schools 'recruit' players as compared to CAS schools. In theory, no schools are allowed to recruit talented rugby players, but in reality it happens.

Waverley, for example, do not employ any special rugby recruitment policies and even though they fielded a high-standard team last season, they had their ups and downs in the previous couple of seasons. In other words, it is cyclical.

There was talk that Waverley didn't want to compete against ''the big boys'' but that's rubbish. A realistic view of whether the school could be consistently competitive against GPS schools long term is a sensible approach.

It could be a different story with Knox.

It's been mentioned before that the problem with Australian rugby is in the lack of promotion of the game within public schools and domestic Club competitions, and not so much in private school competitions.

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
rollin_maul,

My view re an overall stronger comp is exactly as you have put it above, including Oakhill and St. Augustines would make it a super comp imo.
I do hope this first step develops into such a comp in the not too distant future.
As it currently stands it is not there yet.

To appease all concerned it would be nice if the powers involved did articulate the end strategy for us all!
I think that's a reasonable request!

Sideline, I still think that in the CAS there are typically only 2-3 teams each year who stand a chance of winning, and they are normally the same ones, so the other half of the games can be very lopsided "boring", this new situation should eliminate/reduce thrashings.

If you look forward it is evident that in a number of CAS schools the lack of depth in age groups is more than worrying. eg 13's Barker has 3 teams, Aloys has 2, Cranbrook has 4. So go forward to when they are in the opens, and what do you think will happen.
This change addresses a lot of serious issues going forward AND can create a stronger comp then previously enjoyed by any association.
I agree with many others that it should be developed into a real comp, and drop the "trial" tag.

S

sidelineview

Sideline, I still think that in the CAS there are typically only 2-3 teams each year who stand a chance of winning, and they are normally the same ones, so the other half of the games can be very lopsided "boring", this new situation should eliminate/reduce thrashings.

If you look forward it is evident that in a number of CAS schools the lack of depth in age groups is more than worrying. eg 13's Barker has 3 teams, Aloys has 2, Cranbrook has 4. So go forward to when they are in the opens, and what do you think will happen.

OK, so how do those 2-3 CAS schools compare with GPS schools in numbers per age groups and projected overall strength?
And how do they compare with recruitment policies?

Breaking those 2-3 schools away from the pack in the CAS rugby competition may solve one problem, but does it create another one?

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
If you join a new and stronger comp I would think that the motivation to strengthen the numbers in age groups, to be more competitive, is greater than staying in a comp that will probably get weaker, re the declining no. of teams in half the CAS schools.

If Waverley and Knox have agreed to be part of this new format then you would logically think that these types of requirements are acknowledged and focused on, surely.
Knox recruit, as yet Waverley doesn't and I don't think needs to, it has always had lots of local talent, just needs solid coaching, imo, which our opens had this year!

Don't forget there will still be the CAS comp for all these schools, and in the same format as it was for vast majority of history, it wasn't broken then, so its not broken now, imo.

No one has mentioned a 2nd tier comp as yet, but there must be a plan for those schools, I assume, prior to the normal association comps.

As I previously suggested it would be great to hear the whole plan from the decision makers!

White line fever

Fred Wood (13)
Rachet_84,

You mentioned the 1st and 2nd XV's in the GPS vs CAS rounds, is there any news about the younger age groups, and whether its is all grades?

S

sidelineview

If you join a new and stronger comp I would think that the motivation to strengthen the numbers in age groups, to be more competitive, is greater than staying in a comp that will probably get weaker, re the declining no. of teams in half the CAS schools.

If Waverley and Knox have agreed to be part of this new format then you would logically think that these types of requirements are acknowledged and focused on, surely.
Knox recruit, as yet Waverley doesn't and I don't think needs to, it has always had lots of local talent, just needs solid coaching, imo, which our opens had this year!

Don't forget there will still be the CAS comp for all these schools, and in the same format as it was for vast majority of history, it wasn't broken then, so its not broken now, imo.

No one has mentioned a 2nd tier comp as yet, but there must be a plan for those schools, I assume, prior to the normal association comps.

As I previously suggested it would be great to hear the whole plan from the decision makers!

You didn't answer my questions regarding rugby numbers and projected overall strength; you ran with assumptions and generalisations.

Waverley will definitely need to recruit to keep up to speed with GPS schools. Whether they do or not is another matter.

It would be great to see a list of priorities from the rugby decision makers in regards to what are the main problems within Australian rugby.

The private schools competitions wouldn't be high on that list.

Tahs247

Allen Oxlade (6)
As much as you don't like to admit it, every school recruits one way or another. Even some of the CAS schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.