• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2017

Tip the 2017 AAGPS 1st XV Premiers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)

Malpas Dam is about 22 minutes from Armidale. That was a lovely video.

One of the really big differences from when I was at the school is the emergence of multi-media. I cannot compare TAS with other schools without a proper analysis, but looking at TAS on its own, the school moved into all the new computing and communications technology in a large way in the 1980s. In 1988, my then company combined with Martin Levins and his colleagues to put on a multimedia display in a local pub. In 1996, we combined with TAS to mount the Collective Wisdom display, a large scale internet and web display in the Armidale town hall combining all the local schools including primary developing web sites using material sent in to base.

TAS now is a highly sophisticated user of technology for promotional as well as teaching purposes.

Linking this back to one of the themes on this site, the promotion of rugby, I think that the ARU is simply dreadful in its use of the new technology. There is so much much raw material, so many themes and stories that could be used to tell coherent stories over time. Just think about some of the material on G&G, the sheer speed and excellence of some of the material posted on individual games.

Forget the top stuff. Think about the class displayed. Think about sub-stories. Newington and the Pacific islands. The Aboriginal players given chances. TAS and the promotion of junior rugby. Australian v New Zealand schools. Story after story after story that die because there is no framework, because they are all seen as isolated incidents.

TAS dominates the New England TV news in a quite astonishing way because it supplies constant content. Rugby could do that more broadly.

What do others think?

Muminator

Bob McCowan (2)
On a completely different topic, does anyone have a feel for this year's thirds competition? It begins before the top grades and is (I think) minus Newington, so it's no longer a fully representative comp as it was. but its still the only rugby conp involving the TAS, High and Grammar. I imagine TAS will be competitive as always, although the school sport feeds at the moment are dominated by rowing and soccer.

My understanding is that this year TAS and Newington are "combining" to more or less equal the number of teams in the competitions.

The way it'll work is that TAS will be included as part of Newington and whichever team between New and TAS is stronger in each of the comps will be the team playing in that comp.

Apparently this helps both New and TAS (apart from the additional travelling TAS may need to do) with their programs and fills gaps in the greater GPS fixtures.

But, I was only half listening when it was being explained.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
My understanding is that this year TAS and Newington are "combining" to more or less equal the number of teams in the competitions.

The way it'll work is that TAS will be included as part of Newington and whichever team between New and TAS is stronger in each of the comps will be the team playing in that comp.

Apparently this helps both New and TAS (apart from the additional travelling TAS may need to do) with their programs and fills gaps in the greater GPS fixtures.

But, I was only half listening when it was being explained.

Thank you for responding.

That "arrangement" gets rid of the bye in the thirds and means Sydney teams don't have to travel. TAS still appears as TAS in the draw for the thirds. While I suspect I should be very grateful to Newington, it strikes me as very unfair to the Newington boys. There are only three levels in the official comp, so it effectively blocks out an entire cohort of Newington boys from official competition although it may make it easier for Newington in the firsts and seconds. The impact on reserves was an issue before.

I shouldn't comment further beyond noting three things. The arrangements strikes me as unstable. I hope that there is some good competition in the thirds. And if my understanding of the politics is correct, I hope that TAS has a good enough team this year to really punish one Sydney school. Unworthy of me, I know.

The first match in the thirds comp is on 27 May. The first match in the shortened first/second comp is on 17 June. What I want from the thirds comp this year is that it should be as good and as interesting as it has been in the last few years, that the boys really enjoy themselves, so that an old fogie like me who can no longer play can take pleasure in the competition, camaraderie and spectacle.

rugbyman03

Frank Row (1)
Has anyone got an update on Shore's tour to the UK? They left last week however you would think that several rowers would have been conflicted with the head of the river?

Any details also on who they are playing would be appreciated.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Has anyone got an update on Shore's tour to the UK? They left last week however you would think that several rowers would have been conflicted with the head of the river?

Their first tournament is the Rosslyn Park HSBC National Schools Sevens. 70 teams in the Cup and 178 in the Vase (including Shore).
They play several games on the 22nd. Here is the draw and results:
http://www.national7s.co.uk/school.asp?TID=Rosslyn-Sevens&SchoolID=28993
The second tournament is Rugby School's 450th anniversary International Rugby Sevens Tournament. Full details including a link to the match fixtures is at https://www.rugbyschool.co.uk/450th/450th-anniversary-events/international-rugby-sevens-tournament/ As JuanBarn said, games start on the 24th.
I think they are squeezing a a 15s match too. No details.

HoldingOn

Alfred Walker (16)

The tour is the 1st XV only- to my knowledge there are no rowers in the 1s.

B

Backline_Move

Does anyone know potential Joeys lineup- Knox is looking to reverse the unlucky 2016 game and come out on top with a dominant display in 2017.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Their first tournament is the Rosslyn Park HSBC National Schools Sevens. 70 teams in the Cup and 178 in the Vase (including Shore).
They play several games on the 22nd. Here is the draw and results:
http://www.national7s.co.uk/school.asp?TID=Rosslyn-Sevens&SchoolID=28993
The second tournament is Rugby School's 450th anniversary International Rugby Sevens Tournament. Full details including a link to the match fixtures is at https://www.rugbyschool.co.uk/450th/450th-anniversary-events/international-rugby-sevens-tournament/ As JuanBarn said, games start on the 24th.
I think they are squeezing a a 15s match too. No details.

Are you on tour with them FF (Folau Fainga'a)?

footy4life

Chris McKivat (8)
Can someone explain to me why Newington isn't competing in the 3rd comp this year I am still a bit uncertain?

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Can someone explain to me why Newington isn't competing in the 3rd comp this year I am still a bit uncertain?

Traditionally, Newington has lacked depth in numbers regarding the open age group. As a day school with a very wide catchment area, boys in years 11-12 have found it difficult to combine quality study with after school sporting commitments. I know personally, as an Old Boy of this difficulty.

In lived at Epping while attending New. So if training or after school lessons occurred, usually you were on Stanmore Station by about 5.30 PM. The train I caught only took me to Ashfield Station, were upon I waited for a train to take you to Strathfield Station. At Strathfield Station you got on a all stations to Epping. From Epping station I caught a bus to my home. It was a good evening, if I walked into the house much before 7.00PM.

All this combined to produce a real disinterest in Study. Other Old boys felt the same way whether they lived down South, the North Shore or greater Western Sydney. Interestingly, in 2013 I was talking to a 2ndXV Player who lived at Eastwood. He told the trains hadn't changed and he still followed the time table I went through.He finished up being a boarder that year.

Therefore,if there is one certain thing I would like to see changed at Newington, is the addition of a large Boarding House like say Shore, Riverview or Scots have. But what is the cost of Boarding 40,000 a year. Not cheap.

RugbyDomin8r101

Stan Wickham (3)
Traditionally, Newington has lacked depth in numbers regarding the open age group. As a day school with a very wide catchment area, boys in years 11-12 have found it difficult to combine quality study with after school sporting commitments. I know personally, as an Old Boy of this difficulty.

In saying that, dont you think Newington should maybe re consider their training schedules to accommodate the students welfare? Morning and also afternoon sessions for students travelling from far distances would inevitably cause disinterest in study. If you ask me, it's a bit over the top considering there is only 5 competitive GPS games this year, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.